Who will Trump pick for VP in 2016?

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trump's controversial activities have propelled his campaign to the front, beating all other GOP pretenders/contenders. The Democrats do not have this "reality TV" luxury.....Clinton is actually being investigated by the FBI for email-Gate. Polled Republican voters favour nominating the candidate with the most votes by 65%, even if that is Trump.

What does that tell you about GOP voters? I know they hold out hope that this email thing will come to something that might hurt Hillary, but it's been out there for some time and seems pretty well dead in the water. As already mentioned, it seems the more "astute" in the party, (those with more control at least) are stick handling toward the brokered convention idea. But in the meantime, a bag of popcorn and a Trump campaign prattle are always good for a bit of mindless entertainment after a days work.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no "reigning" monarch head-of-state far across the ocean, not even for Vice President.

it boggles how little you actually know for all your time here and interest/obsession with all that is Canada..... re: Canada's unelected 'head of state' - the symbolic embodiment of the people – not a particular group or interest or party... a constitutional role; not a political role. In any case, it's a needed fallback check to rogue Prime Ministers... see Stephen Harper's perogy pursuits.

... Now, as to picking the head of state in America, perhaps you need a primer on the electoral college.

No, that is part of the election process with states control up to the federal level. A vice president running mate will be part of a national ticket that wins or loses each state in a general election. It's a different form of government than Canada's, created long ago.

No, that is part of the election process with states control up to the federal level. A vice president running mate will be part of a national ticket that wins or loses each state in a general election. It's a different form of government than Canada's, created long ago.

I prefer our system, which let's the voters do the job directly, and as mentioned, we get it done so as not to be continually mired in speeches and campaigns etc.

I prefer our system, which let's the voters do the job directly, and as mentioned, we get it done so as not to be continually mired in speeches and campaigns etc.

That's fine...the system in the United States if for Americans, not Canadians. And yet, this poll for which person might be Trump's VP selection attracts cross border attention...again....just as it always does.

I think Condoleeza Rice would be a pretty good choice, given her international experience... but being on the ticket would bring scrutiny to her personal life, which I think is the reason she has chosen not to pursue political ambitions. The Republican "evangelical base" just wouldn't stand for it.

I think John Kasich makes the most sense. He has experience both in congress and as a state governor. He has a folksy charisma that would balance Trump's abrasiveness. He's the guy who non-Republicans say "if I was a Republican, he's the guy I'd be voting for", which probably means he would have stronger appeal to the undecided and independent voters come election time. And, of course, Ohio is a key swing state, so Kasich's popularity in Ohio would be a boost for the Republicans as well.

-k

The GOP brokered convention may be the most entertaining show to come out of the USA since Season 4 of the Apprentice! Trump is already promising violence if he doesn't get what he wants... maybe someone will use their "2nd Amendment remedies" if things go sour for them...

Brokered conventions used to be the norm for U.S. politics

But that was mostly before we could really see what was going on

Fistfights, billy-club swinging cops, horrified candidate shrieking, Please dont do this to me!

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/election/article68111532.html Edited by The_Squid

• 1 month later...

The bottom of the ticket will likely be a bargaining chip to satisfy the party, so Trump will have to compromise.

As a non-American, it took me a long time to understand this idea, this aspect of American voting/democracy.

=====

I have stood in a voting booth (looked at a ballot) in Bulgaria, Sri Lanka and (Yeltsin) Russia and of course, Canada - where I have only voted. I have never looked at an American voting ballot.

By all accounts, an American ballot (like American income tax) is a nightmare - but I want to see with my own eyes.

• 2 months later...

I watched the 60 Minutes Trump/Pence interview. Surreal.

Donald Trump: But Lesley, let's step further. We have an enemy, ISIS and others, who chop off heads, who drown people in steel cages and we can't do waterboarding--

Lesley Stahl: OK, but, but why--

Donald Trump: OK, they're not playing--

Lesley Stahl: --would you use their--

Donald Trump: --under -- because you know--

Lesley Stahl: --techniques?

Donald Trump: --what, those techniques get information. I don't care what anyone says.

Lesley Stahl: Are you agreeing with him?

Mike Pence: I am--

Donald Trump: And get information--

Mike Pence: --what I--

Donald Trump: --using those things.

Mike Pence: --what I can tell you is enhanced information gleaned information that saved American lives and, I was informed, prevented incoming terrorist attacks on this country from being successful. The American people expect the president of the United States to be prepared to support action to protect the people of this nation, and I know Donald Trump will.

Lesley Stahl: Have you answered me?

Mike Pence: I have.

Edited by Bob Macadoo

When Pence was picked, Christie was disappointed - until Trump promised that after the election, Christie would get a Cabinet seat - Minister of Grovelling. Christie seems exceptionally qualified.

I'd think Christie would be a superb choice to head the Department of Transportation... his experience running the George Washington Bridge makes him extremely qualified.

-k

Mike Pence is a typical gay-hating, abortion-fighting Bible-thumping Tea Partying kinda guy, which you'd think would make him popular with that kind of voter... but not so much. Because outside Indiana, Pence is primarily known as the guy who knuckled under to the Pro Gay Homosexual Radical Godless Agenda when Baby Jesus needed him most.

-k