Who will Trump pick for VP in 2016?

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trump has said that his first criteria is someone who would make a good president. Next, he has said that he'll want someone who is "political" and get legislation through. I suspect that means someone with Washington experience.

This rules out Carson and probably Scott (Governor in Florida) and Haley. Most tickets need geographic balance so I doubt he'll pick Christie.

Trump needs Ohio to win in November and he needs to make good with the party. I see Kasich as a very possible choice. Ryan is too closely identified to Romney's losing campaign.

I kinda like the idea of Condeleeza Rice as a running mate but she lacks elected experience.

Edited by August1991

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Duke? Sarah Palin? Jerry Fallwell Jr? Maybe Cliven Bundy?

This is a country with a wealth of nutbars so his choices are nearly endless.

Give it a rest, RM. Trump is not a nutbar and he's not the second coming of Attila the Hun. Those standard left-wing smears worked on Harper and Bush Jnr but they won't work with Trump. He scratches back and indeed, the attacks seem to make him more popular.

=====

Admittedly, Trump is several points behind Rodham Clinton in most national polls but he's even further behind Sanders. So, I think the polls now aren't quite accurate.

To win in November, Trump has a, uh, huge pivot in front of him. As a "liberal" politician with a New York accent, he has to manage to make independents vote for him in the fall - just as he has managed to make many evangelical/card-carrying Republicans vote for him in the primaries.

Edited by August1991

Well he won't pick Cruz, 'cause he's Canadian born. Don't want no Canadian vice president.

Agreed. Other than Kasich, I doubt Trump will pick any other candidate. But Trump wants someone perceived as a winner and so maybe even Kasich is a no go.

The other name that I've heard (via Scott Adams) is Mark Cuban (who?). But Trump has made it plain that he wants someone with political experience. Adams main point is valid however: I suspect that Trump will pick someone who, the public clearly believes, will confront/stand up to Trump.

There are mixed theories on whether the choice for VP matters. It made no difference for Nixon in 68 or Reagan in 80. I think it helped Dukakis in 88 and Eisenhower in 52. McGovern's first choice in 72 was a disaster. I think also that McCain's choice in 2008 hurt more than helped.

When thinking of this, I'm always reminded of Reagan's choice of Schweiker in 76 before the convention. That was out-of-the-box and I've always wondered why no other candidate has copied.

Edited by August1991

Trump is not a nutbar and he's not the second coming of Attila the Hun.

But he is a know nothing that has never demonstrated any ability to grasp the complexities of the problems facing the US. He could make up for this deficit by surrounding himself with competent people but he appears to be a leader that prefers yes men which means the Whitehouse would spend the next for years putting out fires created by Trump's outbursts.

Trump is Rob Ford and we know that resulted in years of nothing getting done at city hall.

Edited by TimG

But he is a know nothing that has never demonstrated any ability to grasp the complexities of the problems facing the US.

Didn't seem to matter much in Canada's federal election...look who won !

Gov. Christie is getting most of Trump's attention. He has the inside track for VP nod. The Republican party is pulling its hair out.

Trump is Rob Ford and we know that resulted in years of nothing getting done at city hall.

That's an interesting comparison. Donald Trump is Rob Ford without the "crack cocaine issues" - as 21st century "progressives" would say.

TimG, rather than look at the specific candidate (and their various human weaknesses), it may be more interesting to look at why so many ordinary people vote for such candidates. After all, we live in a democracy.

But he is a know nothing that has never demonstrated any ability to grasp the complexities of the problems facing the US. He could make up for this deficit by surrounding himself with competent people but he appears to be a leader that prefers yes men which means the Whitehouse would spend the next for years putting out fires created by Trump's outbursts.

What do you base this characterization of Trump on? To say he never has demonstrated any ability blah, blah, blah, is quite easy, but if you're basing it on what he's been saying, then you're being bamboozled by the Trump act.

How do you suppose he's become a billionaire? How has he reached the upper echelon of the dog eat dog world of business? How did this person with no ability conquer the business world and now has come out of nowhere, spent almost no money to conquer the Republican nomination? There's no way it's some kind of fluke who has fooled a bunch of hicks in redneckville.

To underestimate the enemy is to be surprised by him again and again. The Ford comment is silly, try again.

Edited by sharkman

True. But Trump takes it to a whole new low.

TimG, what gives you the right to say that Trump is low but Obama (or Trudeau Jnr) is high?

This current leftist/progressive "morality" (aka political correctness, once known as prohibition) is part of the problem and explains in part why Trump will likely win the Republican nomination and may even win in November.

I was offended when Obama said “I continue to believe that Mr Trump will not be president. And the reason is because I have a lot of faith in the American people.”

Faith?

Edited by August1991

TimG, what gives you the right to say that Trump is low but Obama (or Trudeau Jnr) is high?

Who says I think Trudeau or Obama is a "high". They each have their own issues (too ideological for one) but they don't go out their way to say things things that make no sense. IOW, with Trudeau, Obama or Harper we knew what we would get because even if you disagree their policies coherent. No one knows what Trump will do as president because so much of what comes out of his mouth is nonsense meant to grab headlines that can't be implemented as a policy. Edited by TimG

.... No one knows what Trump will do as president because so much of what comes out of his mouth is nonsense meant to grab headlines that can't be implemented as a policy.

Do you mean like Obama saying he would close 'Gitmo ? Or other nonsense (see link):

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/statements/byruling/false/

IOW, with Trudeau, Obama or Harper we knew what we would get because even if you disagree their policies coherent.

With Harper, we didn't know his agenda but we understood "I will cut the GST."

With Trudeau Jnr, we didn't know his policies other than "Sunny Ways" - and spending other people's money.

With Obama, it was "Hope and Change" - and spending other people's money.

With Trump, we don't know his policies but he'll "Make America Great Again" - and he'll build a wall, using other people's money.

Go figure.

Edited by August1991

David Duke? Sarah Palin? Jerry Fallwell Jr? Maybe Cliven Bundy?

This is a country with a wealth of nutbars so his choices are nearly endless.

I wonder who Hillary will pick for VP? A gay, a transgendered, an illegal alien, Latino, Black, maybe even a Muslim. Lots of minorities to choose from.

Gov. Christie is getting most of Trump's attention. He has the inside track for VP nod. The Republican party is pulling its hair out.

1. Christie as VP is wrong on geography - and I suspect that Trump told Christie before the endorsement. Yet Christie did what he did. Good upfront political guys/players.

2. Agreed, the National Review (NRO) is pulling its hair out.

Edited by August1991

This current leftist/progressive "morality" (aka political correctness, once known as prohibition) is part of the problem and explains in part why Trump will likely win the Republican nomination and may even win in November.

I was offended when Obama said “I continue to believe that Mr Trump will not be president. And the reason is because I have a lot of faith in the American people.”

Faith?

I concur completely. And what Obama said there was something presidents just do not do. He believes he is above other presidents and can say and do anything, much like the former president, Jimmy Carter.

How do you suppose he's become a billionaire? How has he reached the upper echelon of the dog eat dog world of business? How did this person with no ability conquer the business world and now has come out of nowhere, spent almost no money to conquer the Republican nomination?

And here we see the logical fallacy of "appeal to wealth."

That is, because Trump is rich this somehow makes him special even though the only reason Trump is "worth" billions is because he thinks his name is worth $3 billion.

Otherwise, he is likely worth a few hundred million which is pathetic considering how much his dad left him.

But either way, rich or poor, I agree Trump is special but not in the same way you do: I hope Trump wins so the Demcrats can control the White House just like 1932 through to 1952.

Not that I'm a fan of the Dems but Beezlebub isn't running as an independent so....

And here we see the logical fallacy of "appeal to wealth."

That is, because Trump is rich this somehow makes him special even though the only reason Trump is "worth" billions is because he thinks his name is worth $3 billion.

And yet, many Canadians voted for Trudeau Jnr exactly for the reasons you give: inherited wealth - and inherited family name, and inherited mother's hair/eye colour.

I don't know what Trump inherited exactly from his father. But I suspect that Trump's done more with his inheritance than Trudeau Jnr has done with the inheritance/heritage that Trudeau Snr left him.

=====

At least, and unlike Bush Jnr or Trudeau Jnr, Trump isn't winning votes on a name.

Edited by August1991

I don't know what Trump inherited exactly from his father. But I suspect that he's done more with his inheritance than Trudeau Jnr has done with his inheritance/heritage.

Have no idea how one would even measure who has done more.

Trudeau is still young so plenty of time to squander it; Trump may make something of himself if he can charm enough fools to become President.

Both are politicians so both are losers, imo.

Have no idea how one would even measure who has done more.

Trudeau is still young so plenty of time to squander it; Trump may make something of himself if he can charm enough fools to become President.

Both are politicians so both are losers, imo.

Both politicians? WTF?

Trump is about 70 and he's mostly been a real estate guy when not a reality tv guy. He is running for office for the first time, maybe second time.

Trudeau Jnr is about 40 and was a high school teacher. But mostly, he's been a politician, public speaker and "son of" person.

At least, and unlike Bush Jnr or Trudeau Jnr, Trump isn't winning votes on a name.

Trump is only a billionaire because he thinks his name is worth $3 billion.

I agree that the Trump name (or historical Drumpf) is worth something.

Not $3 billion but also not worthless like you seem to think.