Islamophobia in Canada

41 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

My guess is that this is just an accepted cultural attitude among Muslims or people from the Middle East/ Africa in general

Maybe, although I've been told that it has much to do with the way Isreal was established and how she's conducted herself since, not so much Jews themselves.  Kind of like hating America, but having no issue with individual Americans.   I've also been told that there is a long-standing feud dating from the time of Abraham.  And finally that there is no issue, Jews are people of the book, like Muslims.   

That should not be surprising, because all you need to do is look back at cultural attitudes in Canada between 50 - 100 years ago. Homophobia was normal, as was prejudice/ hatred towards black folks, or anyone who is non-white non-British essentially. We only very recently made a great leap forward on these issues ourselves.

True enough, but even so attitudes ranged between extremes of rigid intolerance and complete acceptance.  Most people fell between those extremes, they maintained the status quo without really thinking about it too much.  I kind of think that's approximately where Muslims are today in their own countries, but in Western countries they tend to be more advanced.

Liberals tend to have "faith" in humanity, and wrongly project that all people everywhere share the same values.

I think that's too simplistic.  Having faith in humanity doesn't mean a person is unaware of the failures of human beings either individually or in groups.  

5 hours ago, blackbird said:

Who is providing support for these things?  Nobody in this country as far as I know.

General Dynamic Land Systems in London Ontario, with the blessing of Ottawa, sells weapons to Saudi Arabia, one of the worst most bloodthirsty dictatorships on the planet that uses these weapons to kill rebels that are fighting to get out from under their thumb.  Apparently the contract our government brokered with the House of Saud is largest manufacturing export contract in Canadian history.

The most important thing we provide the monsters we align ourselves with however is our silence in the full knowledge of their crimes - the fact you don't know about this is no excuse.  BTW are you equally unaware of just how awfully Saudi Arabia treats homosexuals, women and other people who exercise free speech?

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

General Dynamic Land Systems in London Ontario, with the blessing of Ottawa, sells weapons to Saudi Arabia, one of the worst most bloodthirsty dictatorships on the planet that uses these weapons to kill rebels that are fighting to get out from under their thumb.  Apparently the contract our government brokered with the House of Saud is largest manufacturing export contract in Canadian history.I

The most important thing we provide the monsters we align ourselves with however is our silence in the full knowledge of their crimes - the fact you don't know about this is no excuse.  BTW are you equally unaware of just how awfully Saudi Arabia treats homosexuals, women and other people who exercise free speech?

Don't tell me you have fallen for the propaganda from hot enough.   Not living in the real world.  Russia, China, and most countries in the world do not respect human rights in one way or another.  Some are worse than others.  What are you going to do about it?  If you stopped dealing with every country that does bad things, you would be totally isolated and have no trade with any country.  You are not being realistic.  Just because we trade, doesn't mean we approve of what they are doing.  If Canada didn't sell weapons to some of these countries, they would get them from numerous other countries.  Not selling weapons to Saudi Arabia will not change a thing.  They are also an ally of the U.S.

• Like 1

The west picks it's allies in the world from the lesser of the evils.    You can choose to idealistic and say we shouldn't deal with this country or that, but then we would end up with no allies in an evil world.

Edited by blackbird

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Like I said the most important thing we provide the monsters we align ourselves with is our silence.

BTW is this what Jesus would do?

Jesus was not involved in world politics.  Remember the Roman Empire which ruled Israel in the time of Jesus on earth was not a respecter of human rights as you would think today.  They did many bad things. 

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Jesus was not involved in world politics.  Remember the Roman Empire which ruled Israel in the time of Jesus on earth was not a respecter of human rights as you would think today.  They did many bad things. 

Jesus was deeply involved in human rights. Our constitution recognizes his supremacy above all else. 

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The west tries to stop Iran and N. Korea from getting nuclear weapons and missiles but even that is proving very difficult.

Better to try and fail than not to have tried at all - something we've never tried with Saudi Arabia.

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Seems you haven't read the New Testament.  Jesus wasn't involved in politics or political action.

Jesus was in it up to his ears - kicking over the money changers tables was amongst the most political acts in the history of humanity.

10 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The U.S. concentrates on the major things that could threaten the west and the U.S.   They can't change a place like Saudi Arabia. 

The means by which the US concentrates, cozying up to dictatorships for example, is the greatest threat in the world.

10 hours ago, dialamah said:

And I'll say to you, as I said to Argus: given your experience and what you believe, your attitude comes as no surprise.

Then it won't surprise you that your hatred of me comes as absolutely no surprise to me.  Part for the course when it comes to Muslims.

13 hours ago, blackbird said:

Non-Muslims killing Muslims over religion is unheard of

Thats because non-muslims live in structured secular societies for the most part. Things are done differently. Take the war in Iraq for example though... A predominantly christian army, complete with priests, chaplins, etc, was sent by a president that said Jesus told him to do it, and they killed or got killed about 1/2 a million muslims.

8 hours ago, Goddess said:

Then it won't surprise you that your hatred of me comes as absolutely no surprise to me.  Part for the course when it comes to Muslims.

I don't hate you...why would understanding that your experience and what you believe means you dislike Islam and don't generally trust Muslims mean I hate you?  

And OMG, there you go accusing me of being Muslim as if  disagreeing with you can only mean I'm Muslim.  Bizarre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

I don't hate you...why would understanding that your experience and what you believe means you dislike Islam and don't generally trust Muslims mean I hate you?  

And OMG, there you go accusing me of being Muslim as if  disagreeing with you can only mean I'm Muslim.  Bizarre.

If your sister and her husband were devout Christians and you went on about the virtues of Christianity while talking about your recent pilgrimage to the Holy Land, one might assume you and Jesus are pals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dre said:

Thats because non-muslims live in structured secular societies for the most part. Things are done differently. Take the war in Iraq for example though... A predominantly christian army, complete with priests, chaplins, etc, was sent by a president that said Jesus told him to do it, and they killed or got killed about 1/2 a million muslims.

The Iraq war wasn't a religious crusade.  I don't believe you when you say Jesus told him to do it.  Never heard that on the news once.

Part of it was the U.S. thought there were weapons of mass destruction, which turned out to be false.  But part of it was also fighting against Al Qaeda.  As it turned out there were Al Qaeda terrorists fighting in Iraq and a lot of suicide bombings, which killed a lot of bystanders (which are still going on).  When the U.S. occupied Iraq, Al Qaeda terrorists migrated in droves to Iraq to join the battle against the Americans.  The daily fighting in Iraq was against Al Qaeda terrorists, not the people of Iraq.

You can't compare the Iraq war with terrorist attacks by jihadists in various countries and continents that have been going on long before the Iraq war.  It's comparing apples and oranges.

20 minutes ago, blackbird said:

You can't compare the Iraq war with terrorist attacks by jihadists in various countries and continents that have been going on long before the Iraq war.  It's comparing apples and oranges.

Not if you are a civilian trying to avoid being killed by US drones.