Islamophobia in Canada

38 minutes ago, dialamah said:

You mean the version that most Muslims believe in peace and tolerance and that Allah disapproves of murder, conversion by the sword, pedophilia and discrimination of Jews and Christians?  That won't get me thrown in jail.  Its the same version of Islam that Sisi believes.

I could get thrown in jail if I was gay and someone told on me.  I

LOL. Islam stands for tolerance, but if you're gay you'd be thrown in jail? I guess that tolerance only goes for far, huh?

There is only one Islam. Your continued insistence on making it stand for what you want it to stand for is merely silly in a Western state, but blasphemy in a Muslim one. Go and tell them that being gay is not against the Koran and see how well that goes over.

6 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I guess it speaks to the inadequacies of political labels and the tendency to be defined more by what one is not, than by what one is.  I'm not a conservative so much because of my views, but rather, because I find liberal views so headshakingly insane sometimes.  Take abortion, for instance.  I doubt you'd find anyone more pro choice than me.  But I'm incensed that the system would jail an old nun for holding up a sign. 

I'd agree that jailing someone for holding a sign is insane, but in my view its equally insane to panic about Sharia Law in Canada because an MP suggested that a study be done regarding religious discrimination including Islamaphobia.  

I tried to look up the nun and sign story,  but only found one where a nun broke into a nuclear plant, along with a couple others, and splashed human (?) blood around.  Do you have a link?

Just now, dialamah said:

I'd agree that jailing someone for holding a sign is insane, but in my view its equally insane to panic about Sharia Law in Canada because an MP suggested that a study be done regarding religious discrimination including Islamaphobia.  

I tried to look up the nun and sign story,  but only found one where a nun broke into a nuclear plant, along with a couple others, and splashed human (?) blood around.  Do you have a link?

No, it goes back a while.  I was living in BC at the time.

Actually, I found this.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/christie-blatchford-this-protester-has-served-10-years-and-seven-months-in-jail-and-no-one-cares

1 minute ago, Argus said:

LOL. Islam stands for tolerance, but if you're gay you'd be thrown in jail? I guess that tolerance only goes for far, huh?

There is only one Islam. Your continued insistence on making it stand for what you want it to stand for is merely silly in a Western state, but blasphemy in a Muslim one. Go and tell them that being gay is not against the Koran and see how well that goes over.

I believe that tolerance and acceptance are part of Canadian culture, but then there are many people such as yourself to put the lie to that, with your unrestrained complaining about immigrants in general and Muslims in particular, along with your fury at women in power and scorn for liberals.  Still, I continue to believe that Canada is, overall, tolerant.

Also you have again confused people with government.  What laws a country enforces may or may not be what their citizens want.

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I agree with you even more, that is crazy. 

I guess I was mistaken about her being a nun.  Memory can be tricky sometimes.

3 hours ago, dre said:

Thats true most conservatives are not a problem. But its conservatives on both sides that are ones causing the problem, and spouting all kinds of inflammatory rhetoric on both sides. The most conservative muslims are the also the most militant, and the most conservative westerners are as well.

Like I said... I wish they could just fight to death in a big stadium and leave everyone else out of it. I would buy front row seats. 

The irony of this post is not lost on me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

No, it goes back a while.  I was living in BC at the time.

Actually, I found this.

Wow....that's not very tolerant. 

But then again, Canada's history/culture is not a story in tolerance despite what some may have us believe.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

I said that those actions were morally wrong and in Canada, illegal.  And yes, they do happen although probably not as often as in the $tates.   It's usually the conservative Christian right objecting to gays, transexuals, abortion providers and sometimes violently.  I'm sure you don't approve of violence, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

This is why I don't like talking to people like you, this implication that because I fail to hate and fear Muslims I must therefore "love" everything about them/their religion/their countries.  

Again you have it mixed up.  Christians disagree with homosexuality, etc. but do not hate the people who do those things.  Christians simply cannot condone the practice of abortion, homosexuality, etc.  Violence by conservatives or christians is extremely rare.  As far as I know christians and conservatives do no approve of any kind of  violence against people.  But we know there are extremist groups in some parts of the world.  We cannot control what they do.

Never said you should hate or fear Muslims.   It is the religion we disagree with. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eyeball said:

Do you understand the concept of complicity?

If I provided money, materials and intelligence to ISIS what would that make me and why?

When your elected government does this for a bloodthirsty dictator what does that make you? 

Who is providing support for these things?  Nobody in this country as far as I know.

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Christians disagree with homosexuality, etc. but do not hate the people who do those things. 

That may be true of many or most Christians in Western Secular countries, but it's not true of all Christians.

7 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Christians simply cannot condone the practice of abortion, homosexuality, etc. 

Nor can Muslims, according to their beliefs.  For most of them ... the ones you don't hear about on the news ... Its up to God to judge and punish, not man.  

12 minutes ago, blackbird said:

there are extremist groups in some parts of the world.  We cannot control what they do.

Exactly what Muslims say about the extremists in their midst.  Funny how Christians can distance themselves from their evil twins, but Muslims aren't allowed to do the same.

18 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Violence by conservatives or christians is extremely rare. 

Hahaha.   

7 minutes ago, dialamah said:

That may be true of many or most Christians in Western Secular countries, but it's not true of all Christians.

Nor can Muslims, according to their beliefs.  For most of them ... the ones you don't hear about on the news ... Its up to God to judge and punish, not man.  

Exactly what Muslims say about the extremists in their midst.  Funny how Christians can distance themselves from their evil twins, but Muslims aren't allowed to do the same.

Hahaha.   

You "liked" the wishing of death upon a MLW poster...me...by peaceful Islamic jihad. Pretty extreme...

Its up to God to judge and punish, not man.

The Quran has many verses that extol the faithful to apply Allah's wrath on the Unbeliever in THIS world. Quran 2:216 and 3:56 come to mind.

• Like 1

As well, according to Islam, fasad is one of the greatest crimes ANYBODY can commit. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasad

The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter.

https://quran.com/5/33

So much for only Allah dishes out punishment...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

As well, according to Islam, fasad is one of the greatest crimes ANYBODY can commit. 

The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter.

Sick. Many a cult in history worshiped demons. They were eradicated by courageous men of old, white men with strong bodies and long beards.

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Sick. Many a cult in history worshiped demons. They were eradicated by courageous men of old, white men with strong bodies and long beards.

The Vikings were all-too-happy to collude with the Mohammedans in the European slave trade.

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Dirty Swedes! Look at them now. Leftists

Modern Sweden has little in common with the good ol' days as you see them.

Vikings found Christianity...and stopped being casual raiders and slavers. You can thank a Swede for stopping the 30 Years War, at least...tough fellow Gustavus Adolphus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Hahaha.   

There is a difference.  Non-Muslims killing Muslims over religion is unheard of.   But Islamic radical groups who kill people exist in a number of countries in Africa, the middle east, the Philippines, southeast Asia, and in a number of western European countries.  France is reported for instance to be supplying high numbers of fighters for ISIS.  There are hundreds of people killed (including Muslims) by radical jihadists every week in some parts of the world.  There is no comparison to this among non-Muslims as you seem to think.  It is disturbing that you don't want to acknowledge this and see christians or non-Muslims as doing the same things.  Of course most Muslims are not doing these things and many or most do not support terrorism.  But significant enough numbers do.

Edited by blackbird

I'll tell you what disturbs me, it's finding out these people are going to mosques in Canada where some guy is regularly talking about killing Jews or other non-Muslims, or what have you, and they just carry on like there's nothing wrong. No one reports it to the authorities. For them it's just a normal part of the conversation.

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I'll tell you what disturbs me, it's finding out these people are going to mosques in Canada where some guy is regularly talking about killing Jews or other non-Muslims, or what have you, and they just carry on like there's nothing wrong. No one reports it to the authorities. For them it's just a normal part of the conversation.

Yeah, that bothers me as well.  I would like to know if the incidents I heard about were usual or anomalies, from an objective source, which pretty much rules out anyone on this board.  Perhaps this is something the study on religious discrimination should or plans to look at.  

5 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Yeah, that bothers me as well.  I would like to know if the incidents I heard about were usual or anomalies, from an objective source, which pretty much rules out anyone on this board.  Perhaps this is something the study on religious discrimination should or plans to look at.  

"One of the reasons I avoid attending Friday congregations at mosques is a specific invocation uttered by mosque imams just prior to the formal Friday congregation prayer we Muslims refer to as the Juma’a. In the prayer, the clerics ask Allah to give “victory to Muslims over the ‘Qawm al-Kafirun,’ the Arabic phrase that lumps all non-Muslims, that is Jews, Hindus, Christians, Atheists, Buddhists and Sikhs into one.

http://tarekfatah.com/mosque-imams-around-the-world-continue-to-pray-to-allah-to-grant-victory-to-muslims-over-non-muslims/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Wow....that's not very tolerant. 

But then again, Canada's history/culture is not a story in tolerance despite what some may have us believe.

And you think American's have room to talk? tsk tsk.

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

My guess is that this is just an accepted cultural attitude among Muslims or people from the Middle East/ Africa in general. That should not be surprising, because all you need to do is look back at cultural attitudes in Canada between 50 - 100 years ago. Homophobia was normal, as was prejudice/ hatred towards black folks, or anyone who is non-white non-British essentially. We only very recently made a great leap forward on these issues ourselves. There is no reason to expect otherwise from less advanced societies. Liberals tend to have "faith" in humanity, and wrongly project that all people everywhere share the same values.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

I love this. I can picture all these people in chains in front of a judge with their fingers crossed muttering "come on, exile!".