Bill Maher Destroys The Liberal Utopian Vision of Islam

Shady

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, you should have posted this in the "This week in Islam" thread when WWWTT asked about beheadings.

19 since Aug 04? They must be doing them for speeding.

Of course, I don't know for sure he's talking about this year, but still...

Shady, I take partial blame in being one of the many who have past chided you about your favouring status updates over thread creation.

on edit: I'll throw you a bone - Maher has really been wigging out lately ever since the original rumours of Rubert Murdoch trying to buy Time Warner surfaced... on his show, he regularly joked about a Century 21/Fox merge with Time Warner and about losing his job once Murdoch got a hold of HBO. Of course, he's always pushed his atheist sticht with his attacks on religion (more broadly Christianity focused), but some saw his more vocal, more recent attacks against Islam as more of a self-preserving job protection bow to Murdoch's overshadowing. Even though Murdoch pulled the offer a few backs back, the rumblings over the future of HBO continue as Time Warner (as others) is pressured more on how to deal with broadband.

Edited by waldo

Shady, I take partial blame in being one of the many who have past chided you about your favouring status updates over thread creation.

on edit: I'll throw you a bone - Maher has really been wigging out lately ever since the original rumours of Rubert Murdoch trying to buy Time Warner surfaced... on his show, he regularly joked about a Century 21/Fox merge with Time Warner and about losing his job once Murdoch got a hold of HBO. Of course, he's always pushed his atheist sticht with his attacks on religion (more broadly Christianity focused), but some saw his more vocal, more recent attacks against Islam as more of a self-preserving job protection bow to Murdoch's overshadowing. Even though Murdoch pulled the offer a few backs back, the rumblings over the future of HBO continue as Time Warner (as others) is pressured more on how to deal with broadband.

Even though he thinks all religion is BS, he does make a distinction that Islamism poses a much greater threat to humanity than any other mainstream religion.

Those who say all religion is bad so judging Islam is wrong, miss the point.

Even though he thinks ...

which was the essence of my post (before editing it to add the 'bone I threw update')... what 'he thinks, what Maher thinks' seems to be an oft (but most selective) daliance that the Shady guy plays off. Given this was elevated beyond the usual status update playground (where it belongs, if at all), I thought to offer my initial apology for being one of the MLW members chastizing Shady for "hiding out in the status updates").

who cares what one guy, Bill Maher, has to say on anything? He's certainly a lousy interviewer and he lives/dies with his script... the only things that make his show worth watching are that on occasion interesting guests appear, there might be some lively exchange between guests... or, on occasion, the 'simple rules' segment (which, of course, is written by the stable of writers the show has). That 'jump the shark' tag fits well for Maher. The Shady guy seems to think Maher has some particular relevance.

Well Maher is also a big believer in Climate Change and wants a Carbon Tax in the USA. I'm sure you think his opinions on those matters are somewhat relevant.

He does have a pretty large audience to forward his opinions.

BTW you labelling his New Rules segment as Simple Rules makes me question if you're actually watch his show regularly.

Edited by Boges

Well Maher is also a bit believer in Climate Change and wants a Carbon Tax in the USA. I'm sure you think his opinions on those matters are somewhat relevant.

he's a mouthpiece in that regard as he clearly has shown (too many times) that he has little understanding; once in a while when a thinking Republican actually gets booked on the show... and the subject comes up... Maher's limited knowledge gets reinforced.

I got a feeling many people will get serious cases of the vapors after listening to these comments!

Those who say all religion is bad so judging Islam is wrong, miss the point.

Too many conservatives make excuses for Christianity and too many liberals protect Islam. All religion is a bad thing, but I don't see a problem in pointing out that some are currently more dangerous than others. I'm glad guys like Maher, Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins are challenging this idea.

If you've got two holes in the roof, they are certainly both problematic, but it is acceptable to acknowledge that one is bigger and give it more immediate attention.

Edited by Mighty AC

too many liberals protect Islam.

Care to elaborate on this point as every liberal i've spoken to and every leftwing talking head i've listened to are apalled by the barbarity of this terrorist group and would be more than happy to see all members of ISIS dead

Edited by mjrr

Care to elaborate on this point as every liberal i've spoken to and every leftwing talking head i've listened to are apalled by the barbarity of this terrorist group and would be more than happy to see all members of ISIS dead

Relativists seem to be predominately (small L) liberal. They are the people who claim that if violent and immoral acts are part of the culture or religion then we can't call them unethical. Similarly, liberals are more apt to blame the west for the actions of Islamic extremists.

ISIS is a different story. Even Iran is on board with going after them.

I'm liberal and I agree with Bill Maher. I also agree with AC about some liberal apologists.... I don't think the apologists/relativists are the mainstream liberal position.

Edited by The_Squid

Bill Maher is an intellectual lightweight. It's pretty clear from his opinions and spats, which he comes poorly armed for, that he doesn't read very much beyond newspaper headline articles. I highly doubt he's ever read through the entire Koran & Hadith, or even most of it.

Compare that to someone like Fareed Zakaria or Noam Chomsky, PhD professors who almost certainly read more non-fiction in a month than Maher will read in a year.

I didn't say he's a member. He went to a church who's doctrine is not to compromise on Sharia though.

What would people say if Stephen Harper went to a Canadian Chapter of the Westboro Baptist Church?

That he went to his home church?

he's a mouthpiece in that regard as he clearly has shown (too many times) that he has little understanding; once in a while when a thinking Republican actually gets booked on the show... and the subject comes up... Maher's limited knowledge gets reinforced.

I did see Maher in Vancouver one time. I was not impressed. His total narrative was based on american politics! Who cares! He came to Canada and he just seemed so focused on America and had no clue on Canadian politics. I was very disappointed in his monologue. I would not pay to see him again in Canada.