Bill Maher Destroys The Liberal Utopian Vision of Islam

Shady

What would people say if Stephen Harper went to a Canadian Chapter of the Westboro Baptist Church?

I don't know What did they say when Jason Kenney visited such a mosque?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/24/jason-kenney-visited-toronto-area-islamic-centre-tied-to-organization-that-disseminated-anti-semitic-literature/

Maybe they asked why the Conservative government would let extremist mosques fester here, if they so exist?

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper attends the CAMA church. That's why he is firing all the scientists and cutting funding for same because according to CAMA, whatever we F up God will put right as required. Of course a few photo ops around the Franklin expedition are not to be missed either even if it is that damn Parks Canada thingy.

I'm not sure I see your point. But I'm willing to learn.

It's rich hearing small pox tell me HIV is killing people like I should forgot what smallpox did. In addition smallpox not acknowledging that HIV is being eradicated the same as smallpox was. Smallpox would have us believe that they woke up one day on their own and said, "I think I'll stop killing people today because that's WWJD" rather than outside influences bringing about change. Which is the same thing that is happening to HIV today even though you get these sensational headlines telling us everyone is going to die from AIDS.

Ah, you had me worried for a minute. I thought is was my syntax that was the problem

No, I stand by my comments. On the one hand, deadly diseases that are no longer deadly compared to those that are, and on the other, a barbaric religion that is no longer barbaric compared to one that is.

Ah, you had me worried for a minute. I thought is was my syntax that was the problem

No, I stand by my comments. On the one hand, deadly diseases that are no longer deadly compared to those that are, and on the other, a barbaric religion that is no longer barbaric compared to one that is.

I doubt you would've needed me to correct your analogy for you to stand by your comments.

No longer barbaric? Did they do a massive edit of the Bible lately that I'm not aware of? Head over to the Christian parts of Africa then come talk to me.

My point is: It's not so much the religions that are barbaric, it's the people who interpret and follow them. Sunni Wahhabists & other Islamic extremists are nuts. So were European colonizers and crusaders.

They didn't do a massive edit so much as severely reduce the number of people who actually live by its very word. If Islam could do the same, they could come out of the middle ages in the middle east.

That's difficult to do due to the origins of Islam. It is far easier to say that 'religious texts that were written over a century after Jesus, contain various parables, were written by a variety of authors, and were put together and rearranged for political reasons' should not be taken literally than it is to say that 'religious texts that were written immediately after Mohammed's death, the last an final prophet of Allah who was visited by the Angel Gabriel, which contain the exact words and phrases spoken by Mohammed as observed by numerous of his followers and contains the exact words of God as spoken through the prophet Mohammed" should not be taken literally.

Islam doesn't have the same flexibility of interpretation as other religions do.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

Except many of the more oppressive tenants of extremist Islam are completely cultural.

Yeah, cause it's not like beheading of apostates, stoning of rape victims, criminalization of adultery, death penalty for apostasy, and amputation of thieves has any theological basis in Islam or anything. *sarcasm*

As with the Dark ages, it's not like Christians were exactly following the words of Jesus.

We aren't in the the Dark Ages. It is the 21st century.

And the problem isn't Muslims not following the words of Mohammed. Rather, it is the Muslims FOLLOWING the words of Mohammed.

I also don't care what Jesus said.

Were in the Quran is a Burka mentioned?

And you don't have to care about what Jesus said, but none of what horrible stuff often attributed to Christians can be easily found in what's said in the New Testament.

Amazing how men manage to use religion to consolidate power and justify evil, regardless of what's written. I'm thinking it might be time to stop granting special protection to the apparent wishes of magical, supernatural beings that somehow still require humans to do their bidding.

Amazing how men manage to use religion to consolidate power and justify evil, regardless of what's written. I'm thinking it might be time to stop granting special protection to the apparent wishes of magical, supernatural beings that somehow still require humans to do their bidding.

If you want sure. People are going to believe what they're going to believe.

The irony of the roots of Christianity is that it came to prominence as a grassroots movement where the followers never wanted to achieve any sort of power.

Harper attends the CAMA church. That's why he is firing all the scientists and cutting funding for same because according to CAMA, whatever we F up God will put right as required. Of course a few photo ops around the Franklin expedition are not to be missed either even if it is that damn Parks Canada thingy.

You have no evidence for that. Say what you will about Harper, he's kept social conservative elements of his party at bay.

But nice of you to provide more evidence for the moral relativism people like to delve into. Even the most dogmatic of Christian churches don't have the doctrine of a Wahhabi church like the one JT visited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabi_movement

If you want sure. People are going to believe what they're going to believe.

Especially if brainwashed from birth and then reinforced for a lifetime.

The irony of the roots of Christianity is that it came to prominence as a grassroots movement where the followers never wanted to achieve any sort of power.

Depends on what you see as prominence. Seems to me it became prominent by order of an emperor and spread by force.

Especially if brainwashed from birth and then reinforced for a lifetime.

Can't stop that. Don't hear about Christian churches calling for death if someone converts though.

Depends on what you see as prominence. Seems to me it became prominent by order of an emperor and spread by force.

Augustine made Christianity the state church of Rome. Why did he do that? They were a marginalized group for a long time. It must have been pretty popular at the time for him to want to do that.

Edited by Boges

Were in the Quran is a Burka mentioned?

I never claimed that the Burka was in the Quran. Death for apostasy and death for homosexuality are however.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/012-apostasy.htm

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/quran/026-homosexuality.htm

And you don't have to care about what Jesus said, but none of what horrible stuff often attributed to Christians can be easily found in what's said in the New Testament.

I never made a claim to the contrary. Different religious texts are different; some are more peaceful than others. But anyway...

Matthew 10:34

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

Romans 1:26

"and likewise also the males, having left the natural use of the female, were inflamed by their lust for one another, males with males, committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was fitting for their error."

Mark 10:11

"Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.

And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Ephesians 6:5

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ."

Just watched the clip Shady provided and yep, 90% I agree with.

He also left out the amputation punishment for theft.

Not sure if he was clear about Muslims wanting to be "terrorists" Since "terrorists" is a made up Western idea, then I doubt that would be true anyways.

Also not his place to impose his/western standards on other countries.

Not like the West gives a rats ass either since some of the biggest human rights violators are US allies (Egypt Saudi Afghanistan Iraq Israel etc.) not to mention that the US is PROBABLY the largest human rights violator!

So go ahead Maher, toot your horn. I'm sure your Israeli masters like having you around. After all they need someone to remind everyone about other "bad people".

WWWTT

Relativists seem to be predominately (small L) liberal. They are the people who claim that if violent and immoral acts are part of the culture or religion then we can't call them unethical. Similarly, liberals are more apt to blame the west for the actions of Islamic extremists.

I don't think the relativists you mention have a clue and while I don't blame the actions of Islamic extremists on the west I do blame the west for the hand it's had in arresting the modern development of Islam. While it's true that Christians may no longer kill disbelievers or stone adulterers you don't have to scratch very deep to reveal a depravity that is every bit as primitive and dangerous. I'd argue that Islam was not that far behind Christianity at all - take Iran and Iraq in the early 50's for example - but unfortunately oil and politics cocked that all up. Who would have thought that the west with such reputedly advanced religious traditions as theirs would have behaved the way it has.