Bill Maher Destroys The Liberal Utopian Vision of Islam

Shady

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever's committing it, my outrage towards violent oppression is right where it's always been, virtually on par with my outrage towards anyone that materially and financially supports violent oppressors, in places like Egypt for example.

Excuse me but, just so we're clear, the issue here is absurdity and hypocrisy right?

Edited by eyeball

Excuse me but, just so we're clear, the issue here is absurdity and hypocrisy right?

Certainly. I think the fact that an atheist group stopped a woman who had her genitals mutilated from speaking illustrates that perfectly.

People, mostly on the left, are completely ignoring atrocities from Muslims in the name of multiculturalism.

As for dealing with Muslim Nations that have oil. Everyone's whipping boy Ezra Levant talks about that when discussing "ethical oil".

It seems many would rather deal with Muslim Nations than attempt oil and gas independence at home.

Edited by Boges

Certainly. I think the fact that an atheist group stopped a woman who had her genitals mutilated from speaking illustrates that perfectly.

People, mostly on the left, are completely ignoring atrocities from Muslims in the name of multiculturalism.

That's absurd, I'm a lefty and I think stopping people from speaking and ignoring atrocities is atrocious. The only thing I see being illustrated here is that atheists can be a bunch of atrocious ass-holes too.

Meanwhile the right underscores it's indignation over FGM by pointing at the evil Egyptians while ignoring the billions upon billions given to their military dictators. What am I supposed to make of that?

As for dealing with Muslim Nations that have oil. Everyone's whipping boy Ezra Levant talks about that when discussing "ethical oil".

It seems many would rather deal with Muslim Nations than attempt oil and gas independence at home.

If that's what Ezra Levant believes then he's a complete moron too. Most lefties would rather see us developing alternatives to oil.

Now its lefties who want to keep the blood-energy flowing from the ME? That seems really absurd too.

I could be wrong, because it wasn't my post, and Boges will correct me, but I think it means claiming that it wasn't Muslims, or that it wasn't done in the name of Islam, when it clearly was, just because there are Muslims elsewhere who are as horrified as the rest of us.

Looked like Ben had a lot of difficulty understanding. No real surprise there.

There is a difference between hating Muslims and hating the things that far too many Muslims do/condone. Sometimes it's hard to see the distinction, but it's important that guys like Maher, Harris, Dawkins, etc. keep on splainin' it.

Well, he said something about the number of people in Egypt who thought that the death penalty was an appropriate punishment for apostasy, and I think they would probably fill that stadium. There might even be a few in the parking lot.

Edited by bcsapper

Well, he said something about the number of people in Egypt who thought that the death penalty was an appropriate punishment for apostasy, and I think they would probably fill that stadium. There might even be a few in the parking lot.

64% of Muslims in Pakistan and Egypt support the death penalty for leaving Islam. The number is even higher for Afghanistan (no surprise), but not much lower in Jordan, which is disappointing.

This must be a pretty big stadium.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/01/64-percent-of-muslims-in-egypt-and-pakistan-support-the-death-penalty-for-leaving-islam/

Edited by Argus

Incidentally, the actual study, down by Pew Research for the Washington Post also shows majorities of Muslims in almost all countries want Sharia law to be the law of the land. Very strong majorities, particularly in the middle east and Asia belief wives must obey their husbands, and majorities, or close to majorities, believe stoning is the appropriate punishment for adultery. In Egypt that's at 81%. Homosexuality is not accepted ANYWHERE in the Muslim world. Also those who disapprove of honor killings are a minority in most Muslim countries.

And while many Muslims support executing anyone who converts FROM Islam, they are nearly unanimous in their belief that it is a religious duty to convert others TO Islam.

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

It seems to me that he agrees totally with Bill Maher. Islam is an awful religion where it is an awful religion, and it is not an awful religion where it is not an awful religion. All those Muslims in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, ISIS Hamas and around the world who think that the death penalty for apostasy, blasphemy, adultery, is a good idea, and who think that the laws others have to obey should be the law of their God, are bastards. And all the rest aren't.

Seems like we're all on the same page!

It seems to me that he agrees totally with Bill Maher. Islam is an awful religion where it is an awful religion, and it is not an awful religion where it is not an awful religion. All those Muslims in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, ISIS Hamas and around the world who think that the death penalty for apostasy, blasphemy, adultery, is a good idea, and who think that the laws others have to obey should be the law of their God, are bastards. And all the rest aren't.

Seems like we're all on the same page!

That was Affleck's (yech) point, call the people out who do the deeds and leave those who don't out. Maher's point is wipe the religion out 'cause it leads to ISIS......then he'll move on to Christianity ala snake handlers and Mormons. If those idiots didn't have the Koran, they'd have some other nationalism nonsense. That's the bit Maher and his echo chamber loses on.

I didn't hear that in Maher's point at all. His initial beef was with liberals who seem afraid to call Muslims out for their behaviour, preferring to make the spurious connection that any criticism of Islam is akin to calling the whole 1.5B of them backpack wearing monsters.

The other point he makes is that even when one does separate the good from the bad, there are still an awful lot of bad.

I didn't hear that in Maher's point at all. His initial beef was with liberals who seem afraid to call Muslims out for their behaviour, preferring to make the spurious connection that any criticism of Islam is akin to calling the whole 1.5B of them backpack wearing monsters.

The other point he makes is that even when one does separate the good from the bad, there are still an awful lot of bad.

It's his whole anti-all religion schtick if you look wider at all his comments. I'm as far from devout as there can be but his viewpoint comes from his narcissistic smugness rather than rational debate. It makes it ugly.

"Liberals", whoever they collectively represent, call perpetrators out; not religious denominations. It's funny, criticizing a gov't's (Israel) actions is akin to attacking a religion which in that case is verboten but criticizing a religion (Islam) directly representing 1.5B is OK b/c its really only aimed at the minority.....so sorry you others are offended.....toughen up next time.

I also like how polls of stationary stable households in voting polls can't be trusted but a straw poll of transient (due to unrest, bombing, etc.) groups of culturally diverse (evidenced by the infighting) should be the basis for all international action. Logic Secured.