This week in Islam

kimmy

7 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Too many people bury their heads in the sand or are just too naive to believe that there is nothing to be afraid of from mass Muslim migration.   I wouldn't look good in a Burkha 

My Egyptian BIL sent me a pic of a university grad class, almost half whom were women (41 females).  Not a single female was wearing a burka and 23 of them weren't wearing a headscarf.  Your statement here is pure Islamophobia.  

Edited by dialamah

Just now, dialamah said:

My BIL sent me a pic of a university grad class, almost half whom were women (41 females).  Not a single female was wearing a burka and 23 of them weren't wearing a headscarf.  Your statement here is pure Islamophobia.  

Of course it is, why would it be anything else in your mind,  it  is normal now to tolerate the intolerable because of shouts of “Islamophobia”

3 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Of course it is, why would it be anything else in your mind,  it  is normal now to tolerate the intolerable because of shouts of “Islamophobia”

If you don't want to be considered Islamophobic, don't make hyperbolic statements like "We're going to overrun by Muslims and I'll have to wear a burka".  Fear-mongering idiocy deserves to be shut down.

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

If you don't want to be considered Islamophobic, don't make hyperbolic statements like "We're going to overrun by Muslims and I'll have to wear a burka".  Fear-mongering idiocy deserves to be shut down.

I didn't say that..  and you know it...   but carry on, you are free to believe whatever turns your crank, and free to impute thoughts and feelings.  As for 'Islamophic', that is a made up word designed to shut down all criticism of Islam.  

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

They likely feel much the same way.

Everybody should.  The world would be a much better place.

Edited by bcsapper

14 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Actually it will be.  You just need to ensure religion is free so that people drop it.

People should be free to believe whatever they want.  They should not be free to try and make anyone else either believe it, or act in a way it decrees if they really would rather not.

No exceptions.

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

I didn't say that

Yeah you did.   Your exact words were:  "too many people ... believe that there is nothing to be afraid of from mass Muslim migration.   I wouldn't look good in a Burkha."

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

As for 'Islamophic', that is a made up word designed to shut down all criticism of Islam.  

It is designed to identify fear-mongering idiocy.  Shutting it down would be a bonus, but as we see you are still posting.

41 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Yeah you did.   Your exact words were:  "too many people ... believe that there is nothing to be afraid of from mass Muslim migration.   I wouldn't look good in a Burkha."

It is designed to identify fear-mongering idiocy.  Shutting it down would be a bonus, but as we see you are still posting.

And will continue to do so as I really wouldn't want to wear even a hijab, but carry on.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:17 PM, bcsapper said:

I think that's the whole point.  Interpretations differ.  If all Muslims read the book with the same tafseer there would be no argument.  Either no infidels would die, or they all would.

No. Interpretation doesnt differ that much. And the little it does among some is because some are wrong.

13 hours ago, bcsapper said:

People should be free to believe whatever they want.  They should not be free to try and make anyone else either believe it, or act in a way it decrees if they really would rather not.

No exceptions.

It goes both ways. You should not feel "too free" to try and make everyone believe bad things about Muslims or make Muslims act in a way that goes against their faith. Yes, it's people like you that make some employers demand that Muslims don't wear a hijab at work and that makes Muslim children afraid to go to school wearing a hijab - which is nothing but a piece of clothing.

Edited by Marocc

16 hours ago, dialamah said:

My Egyptian BIL sent me a pic of a university grad class, almost half whom were women (41 females).  Not a single female was wearing a burka and 23 of them weren't wearing a headscarf.  Your statement here is pure Islamophobia.  

If they were Muslims that's actually sad. Granted Egypt has gone back and forth with the hijab ruling - which has probably affected the indentity perception of Muslims there.

Even Muslims who like to wear a headscarf may feel like taking it off if they are told they have to wear it. The same way some Muslims in the west upon criticism against head scarf actually start wearing it out of spite. Or start tying it in a more conservative fashion.

It's the non-Muslim delusion about the headscarf that irritates most hijabis.

23 hours ago, scribblet said:

Good piece here on that. E exception is made for ritual slaughter, but should religious beliefs trump humane treatment of animals...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-ritual-slaughter-is-inherently-cruel-canada-should-know-better-than/

This (is not true AND) :

"But as Canadian animal rights lawyer Anna Pippus explains, "Slaughter without any stunning means the fully conscious animal will have their neck sliced and will experience pain and fear until they lose enough blood to lose consciousness." Stunning, on the other hand, "stops brain activity so they don't register the pain and suffering associated with being sliced into," she says."

It is contradictory to this :

" Section 77 of the Meat Inspection Regulations states that animals slaughtered in accordance with Judaic or Islamic law “shall be restrained and slaughtered by means of a cut resulting in rapid, simultaneous and complete severance of the jugular veins and carotid arteries in a manner that causes the animal to lose consciousness immediately.""

I suppose we should just trust the activist instead of those who compiled the law. 

"of course, animal slaughter without adequate stunning also happens in traditional slaughterhouses across Canada. Mistakes are commonplace in a system that kills thousands of animals each day on an assembly line. The CFIA allows for a margin of error regarding stunning of 1-to-5 per cent depending on species, meaning a minimum of about 15 million animals per year can be cut and bled while still conscious. However, because the number of animals being ineffectively stunned is self reported by slaughterhouses, advocates believe the amount to be much higher."

Perhaps most importantly:

" A recent video on social media has brought these issues to the surface. The video appears to show a cow hoisted up by a leg, being skinned while possibly still alive, outside a temporary mosque in Milton, Ont. In the video, one man is reportedly heard saying: “Take a look, a cow is being butchered the halal way on Eid-al-Adha as a sacrifice,” in Urdu, the official language of Pakistan. The cow appears to move his head, though Halton Regional Police have said they do not believe the animal was alive at the moment, and are not pressing cruelty charges. The video is graphic and hard to watch."

2 hours ago, Marocc said:

It goes both ways. You should not feel "too free" to try and make everyone believe bad things about Muslims or make Muslims act in a way that goes against their faith. Yes, it's people like you that make some employers demand that Muslims don't wear a hijab at work and that makes Muslim children afraid to go to school wearing a hijab - which is nothing but a piece of clothing.

No it isn't.  You don't read any other posts, do you?

Edit>  Given it goes both ways, do you agree fully with my statement? 

Edited by bcsapper

1 hour ago, Marocc said:

No. Interpretation doesnt differ that much. And the little it does among some is because some are wrong.

This is utterly wrong, as any evidence from anywhere Muslims live in the world demonstrates.  Interpretations vary wildly. That's why one doesn't "blame all Muslims".

What is your interpretation on what should be done to blasphemers, apostates, homosexuals and adulterers?

23 hours ago, dialamah said:

Nope.  Just pointing out the hypocrisy of you and DoP who pretend that Muslims' cruelty to animals is worse than our own cruelty to animals.   

So you agree with and support animal sacrifice to a god that demands blood. How very progressive of you.

• Like 1

If they were Muslims that's actually sad

Sad for you, perhaps, if your preference is that women cover.  But as far as I am concerned, women should have the freedom to choose.  As I understand it, they do have that freedom in Egypt and in most Western countries.

Even Muslims who like to wear a headscarf may feel like taking it off if they are told they have to wear it. The same way some Muslims in the west upon criticism against head scarf actually start wearing it out of spite. Or start tying it in a more conservative fashion.

I agree with this.  The Canadians who think some purpose is served by criticizing hijab, or making laws against it, are working against themselves.  

It's the non-Muslim delusion about the headscarf that irritates most hijabis.

Which delusion is that exactly?  The idea that the headscarf is representative of male oppression?  

Edited by dialamah

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

No it isn't.  You don't read any other posts, do you?

Edit>  Given it goes both ways, do you agree fully with my statement? 

To some extent. Countries have a right to decide on their own laws and of course a person visiting must abide by those rules.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

This is utterly wrong, as any evidence from anywhere Muslims live in the world demonstrates.  Interpretations vary wildly. That's why one doesn't "blame all Muslims".

What is your interpretation on what should be done to blasphemers, apostates, homosexuals and adulterers?

These arent interpretations of the Qur'an but implementation of sharia and and best or worst interpretations of hadith.

The punishment for blasphemy depends on the particular situation. Apostate, nothing happens, homosexual - I don't know, adulterers - I also am not sure.

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

So you agree with and support animal sacrifice to a god that demands blood. How very progressive of you.

The animal isn't for Allah but for people. Is there a difference between doing it in Makkah and doing it in slaughterhouses all over the world?

31 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Sad for you, perhaps, if your preference is that women cover.  But as far as I am concerned, women should have the freedom to choose.  As I understand it, they do have that freedom in Egypt and in most Western countries.

I agree with this.  The Canadians who think some purpose is served by criticizing hijab, or making laws against it, are working against themselves.  

Which delusion is that exactly?  The idea that the headscarf is representative of male oppression?  

They have the freedom to choose. I just think it's sad if they choose not to wear it.

That is one delusion. Then there are the ideas of why a woman wears it - which varies enormously, why Islam demands it, how both muslim women men feel about it, the different types of hijabs used, the word hijab in itself and also the fact that some women truly want to wear it and would not endure it if they couldn't.

1 hour ago, Marocc said:

I just think it's sad if they choose not to wear it.

Why?  Also, I am assuming you are male although your profile doesn't say.  It would be interesting to know if my assumption is correct.

1 hour ago, Marocc said:

1. Then there are the ideas of why a woman wears it - which varies enormously,

2.  why Islam demands it,

3.  how both muslim women men feel about it,

4.  the different types of hijabs used,

5.  the word hijab in itself

6.  and also the fact that some women truly want to wear it and would not endure it if they couldn't.

1.  Agreed that the reasons vary greatly.

2.  Do not agree that Islam "demands" it.

3.  As you said, it varies.  To some degree it seems that men are more interested in women wearing hijab than women themselves.  Personal experience tells me that women will wear it at the behest of their husbands, rather than of their own volition.  Sometimes this is women accommodating their husbands, which is is part of married life naturally and can go both ways.  Too often it's on threat of violence or rejection, which is wrong, even in Islam.  Islam, just like Christianity, puts men in authority over women, making it very easy for women to become victimized by the very people God also commands to take care of them.  While Western Christianity has made great strides in protecting women from that mindset, Islamic countries are still disturbingly lax when it comes to protecting women.

5.  Does it not mean "covering" or "veil"?

6.  This is the only reason a women should wear it, imo.  

33 minutes ago, dialamah said:

5.  Does it not mean "covering" or "veil"?

It means a barrier. The word is used in the Qur'an I think over a hundred times - never as a headscarf. That name was given to it much later. Its a barrier for instance between Muslims and non-Muslims and the people of Jannah and the people of Jahannam.

23 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/quebec-education-minister-says-malala-can-teach-here-if-she-removes-headscarf?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1562423214

Hey look here !  The Quebec Minister of secular correctness has indicated Malala may teach in Quebec IF she takes off her headscarf.

Good to know that if you don't like freedom you now have a choice between living under the Taliban or the new Bizarro Taliban.  

And this is the perfect example of how progressives get hysterical and twist everything in their rage at any attempt at preserving Canada's values and culture, Equating a law which bans people from wearing obvious religious symbols while working for the government with an organization which gleefully murdered anyone who failed to observe Allah as they do.

The infinitely adjustable values of progressives see a man who doesn't believe a man with a penis is a woman is akin to Hitler, but smiles ingratiatingly at a Muslim man who sees women as chattel who must wear heavy robes to guard them from any other man's eyes, and beaten if they disagree.

I think the likes of Hardner and dialamah would actually be happier living in Iran or Afghanistan. They'd finally get to be a member of an oppressed minority! Oh glory be! And they could revel in all that wonderful ethnic flavour with its unique restaurants! What a rich cultural milieu it would be for them to savour!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dialamah said:

My Egyptian BIL sent me a pic of a university grad class, almost half whom were women (41 females).  Not a single female was wearing a burka and 23 of them weren't wearing a headscarf.

So about half of them were wearing religious garments. And presumably wear them everywhere they go their entire lives. And these were the most educated and urban people in Egypt.

Now let's see what Wikipedia says:

In a predominantly Muslim society, as many as 90% of women in Egypt have adopted a form of veiling.[1] A majority of Egyptian women cover at least their hair with the hijab. A hijab refers to a head covering that is worn by Muslim women. Although the phenomenon of wearing the niqāb, a veil which covers the face is not as common, the niqab in Egypt has become more prevalent.

But to you, that's not a sign that they actually believe in Islam and its laws, rules and tenets. And certainly not the bad ones! :ph34r:

Edited by Argus

30 minutes ago, Argus said:

So about half of them were wearing religious garments. And presumably wear them everywhere they go their entire lives. And these were the most educated and urban people in Egypt.

Now let's see what Wikipedia says:

In a predominantly Muslim society, as many as 90% of women in Egypt have adopted a form of veiling.[1] A majority of Egyptian women cover at least their hair with the hijab. A hijab refers to a head covering that is worn by Muslim women. Although the phenomenon of wearing the niqāb, a veil which covers the face is not as common, the niqab in Egypt has become more prevalent.

But to you, that's not a sign that they actually believe in Islam and its laws, rules and tenets. And certainly not the bad ones! :ph34r:

It wasn't 90% when I was there, and its still not 90%.  It is more than half, maybe 70% of the women she sees, according to my sister.  Some women wear niqabs and some women do not cover at all.  According to the law in Egypt, women are free to choose.  Socially, wearing hijab is more acceptable than either niqabs or being uncovered.  

You continue to say moronic things, Argus.  My point isn't that Muslims don't believe in Islam, but that just like Chriatianity, there are multiple beliefs and practices, depending on how each individual Muslim interprets Islam.  You and others claiming that only the most extreme acts of cruelty or oppression represents Islam and Muslims is what I take issue with.

Marocc's assertion that there is only one way to interpret Islam and all the rest are "wrong" is as false as your assertion that ISIS members throwing gays off roofs means Muslims want to kill gays.

Edited by dialamah