New TV season... anything good on?

kimmy

Just finished 'The O.A.'.... Overall, I am not satisfied with the show but there was a lot of excellence there.  My problem was that the show, unlike maybe anything else I have seen, had a complete lack of closure on its stories.  I feel almost guilty saying that because I don't like things being tied up so neatly but this show gave the viewer so little in the end.  I would like to hear what others thought.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2016 at 5:03 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Just finished 'The O.A.'.... Overall, I am not satisfied with the show but there was a lot of excellence there.  My problem was that the show, unlike maybe anything else I have seen, had a complete lack of closure on its stories.  I feel almost guilty saying that because I don't like things being tied up so neatly but this show gave the viewer so little in the end.  I would like to hear what others thought.

I liked it.  I liked the way it created both doubt and wonder, offered both 'scientific' and 'mystical' explanations.   Was she the O.A., or was this her way of surviving and processing her ordeal?    Was the shooter paused by the confusion of 4 people behaving strangely, or because of a mystical force that was engendered?  How 'real' are faith and belief compared to science and psychology?    I don't know if that's what the creators of the show intended (maybe they just wanted to create 'buzz'), but the lack of concrete answers at the end gave me things to think about for a few days, at least.  I liked that.

The ending left it open for a second season and the creators do have more story prepared, if Netflix decides to go ahead with a second season.  

I've just started watching "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", on Netflix. The show is based on a series of Douglas Adams books that I haven't read.

The show centers around the title character, a self-styled detective who believes he can solve mysteries by "holistic" means-- he wanders around doing whatever seems appropriate at the moment, in the belief that everything is interconnected and the universe will simply lead him to the solution. He's never solved a case, but he's working on his first: to solve the murder of Patrick Spring.  He was hired to do this by Patrick Spring, who was still alive when he hired Dirk. He has since ceased to be alive.

Dirk's karmic path leads him to Todd-- played Elijah "Frodo" Wood-- as a hapless hotel bellboy. Todd is down on his luck-- broke, spending all his money to pay for medication for his sister-- and things only get worse once Dirk crosses his path. Dirk immediately decides that Todd is important to solving the mystery, and his arrival in Todd's life brings Todd all kinds of chaos that he can ill afford.

Also involved in the mystery are Patrick Spring's missing daughter Lydia, a missing cat, a stray dog, two missing persons detectives, two FBI agents, four strange individuals called "The Rowdy 3", Todd's troubled sister Amanda, Patrick Spring's bodyguard Farah, and a cult of weird bald dudes with tattoos who talk like they're mental.

Further confusing matters is "Bart the Holistic Assassin", a disheveled, homeless, madwoman who is connected to Dirk somehow. She is much like Dirk in the sense that she simply does whatever and believes the universe will lead her where she is supposed to go. Unlike Dirk, she's a deranged serial killer, and leaves a startling number of corpses in her wake. She really has no idea what she's doing, other than that she needs to find Dirk.  I'm early in the show, but so far she has killed everybody she's met except for Ken, a criminal computer hacker who she abducts for no particular reason. She's not sure why she hasn't killed him either, except that she seems lonely and seems to like having someone to talk to. She's convinced that the universe just leads her to people who are supposed to die, and in fairness, it seems like most of them have it coming. When Ken asks her why he's still alive, she shrugs and says "you must be special too."   I have no idea what might happen when Bart finally catches up with Dirk, but I have a hunch that he probably owes her money or something ridiculous like that.

I'm not 100% sure if I like this yet, but I'm interested enough to see where it's going.

-k

4 minutes ago, kimmy said:

I've just started watching "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", on Netflix. The show is based on a series of Douglas Adams books that I haven't read.

I'm not 100% sure if I like this yet, but I'm interested enough to see where it's going.

-k

It's tough to translate Adams to the screen.  Look at the earlier attempt at DGHDA and the HHGTTG movie.  I would recommend the book, though.  

Edited by bcsapper

On 06/07/2016 at 5:37 PM, Slick said:

Has anyone watched the series Justified? I was a fan of Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood and was considering watching it.

I watched this show and loved it,  though I haven't seen the last season. I love almost any thing written or based on Elmore Leonard's work.

Edited by drummindiver

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't resist checking out the first episode of "Riverdale". Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica, and the rest of the gang have been around for longer than most of us have been alive, and somehow they have become an enduring institution, much like Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang.  This TV adaptation puts America's oldest highschool kids into a format that's part teen drama, part Heathers, and part Twin Peaks. The characters are much as they've always been, spruced up with some angst.

Archie Andrews-- the happy-go-lucky girl-chasing carrot-top! In this version he is handsome and charismatic, and he's buff from a summer of working at his dad's construction business. He's torn between football and the family business, and he has discovered a new passion... music.

Betty Cooper-- the all-American girl with a heart of gold, who somehow never wins.  The new TV version has her as an insecure perfectionist, desperately trying to please her bullying mother. She is being eaten alive by her unrequited crush on Archie, who considers her his best friend and nothing more.

Veronica Lodge-- the spoiled, self-absorbed rich girl.  Here, she's new in town. She and her mother have moved to Riverdale from New York, where Mr Lodge is has become the face of financial crime and is being prosecuted for fraud or embezzlement or something.  Veronica is intent on turning over a new leaf in Riverdale, and immediately bonds with Betty. But she's also attracted to Archie, and the feeling is mutual.

Jughead Jones-- in the comics he is a carefree slacker who has a zen-like disdain for the worries of life and focuses mostly on simple pleasures like hamburgers and milkshakes at Pop's Diner... he is also a modern-day Tom Sawyer and astute student of human nature. Here he is the character most changed from the comics, a scowling black-clad loner (though still with his signature "crown" cap).  Little has been revealed about him so far, other than that he and Archie have had some sort of falling-out. Jughead is also the narrator of the show.

The show opens with the kids returning to school from summer vacation, following the death of the school's star football player Jason Blossom. His twin sister, Cheryl Blossom, is the last person who saw him alive. She's kind of a stock villain for this sort of show, pretty much a redhead version of Rachel McAdams' character in Mean Girls. The Archie comics I remember as a kid were full of wacky hijinks, zany tomfoolery, and offbeat shenanigans. This TV adaptation is quite different in tone. The highschool angst and drama seem more drawn from movies like Mean Girls and Heathers, and the slightly weird small-town atmosphere and murder mystery reminds me bit of Twin Peaks (no talking owls, dancing dwarves, or Log-Lady so far, thankfully, although they did cast Madchen Amick as Betty's mom.)

Overall I thought this was a pretty interesting adaptation of the classic comic series for a modern TV format. I will probably watch next week.

-k

• 3 weeks later...

Just started watching Sky 1's Agatha Raisin....a UK comedy-crime drama.   It's like a weekly episode of A Fish Called Wanda.

IMHO, British film and television production quality is usually top notch, especially for exteriors and lighting.   They wait for the best lighting, no easy task in the UK.

• 7 months later...

The Orville is a very strange show. I figured, okay, Seth McFarland, it's going to be a rollicking South Park in space. It's not rollicking. It's not even funny. It's mildly amusing in places. The modern conversational gambits placed in a Star Trek setting are a bit weird, like having the black weapons officer on the bridge jump up and shout "Yeah bitch! How you like that!?" after blowing up an enemy ship, for example. Having things like a robot asking the captain if he intends to copulate with the first officer are occasionally amusing. But oddly enough, the 'comedy' works a lot less well than the science fiction. The actual SF storyline, about discovering a 2,000 year old colony ship where the colonists had forgotten they were on a ship, was pretty good. Lose the attempts at comedy, and the cheesy (I think deliberately so) visuals of the Orville and you might have a decent science fiction show.

Speaking of which, Star Trek Discovery seems promising. I like the main characters, the storyline and visuals are pretty good. There was a lot of action in the opening pair of shows, which look like they ended with the main character being court martialed. We'll see where things go from here. She seems like a more interesting character than Captain Janeway from Voyager.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Argus said:

Speaking of which, Star Trek Discovery seems promising. I like the main characters, the storyline and visuals are pretty good. There was a lot of action in the opening pair of shows, which look like they ended with the main character being court martialed. We'll see where things go from here. She seems like a more interesting character than Captain Janeway from Voyager.

Only plausible way to watch that show here in the US is torrents. Good job CBS for putting it behind a paywall that no one will ever pay for. 

The first two episodes were pretty good, however, I think they made a mistake "re-imagining" the Klingons. TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT had the Klingons as one of the most well developed alien civilizations in all of sci fi and here they go throw all that away for a much more annoying version of them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bonam said:

Only plausible way to watch that show here in the US is torrents. Good job CBS for putting it behind a paywall that no one will ever pay for. 

The first two episodes were pretty good, however, I think they made a mistake "re-imagining" the Klingons. TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT had the Klingons as one of the most well developed alien civilizations in all of sci fi and here they go throw all that away for a much more annoying version of them. 

Yeah, but didn't they change sometime between original trek and TNG?  As Discovery is set years before Kirk, they have plenty of time.  I only saw a few minutes of it, but I agree they are irritating. 

21 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Yeah, but didn't they change sometime between original trek and TNG?  As Discovery is set years before Kirk, they have plenty of time.  I only saw a few minutes of it, but I agree they are irritating. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWGho2ufMAI

SJWs: The Next Generation

Edited by DogOnPorch

The Young Sheldon. It's a bit awkward, a bit cute, occasionally amusing, but doesn't hold a candle on Big Bang Theory. The mom reminds me of the mom in Malcolm in the MIddle, with a southern accent.

The funniest person on the show is Sheldon's sister. Or maybe she just gets all the good lines.