New TV season... anything good on?

kimmy

For those looking for a medieval escape, I highly recommend The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Set in the late 800's in Brittain as the Danes are invading and conquering parts of the Brittains, it is a well written and acted adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories series. Season one roughly covers the plot of the first two books, "The Last Kingdom" and "The Pale Horseman" and season two is expected to be released shortly.

The books are also fantastic; in fact, I recommend any historical fiction by Cornwell. If you are unfamiliar with his work The Gallows Thief, The Fort and The Last Kingdom are great places to start. His books are always well researched and entertaining.

• 3 weeks later...

Last night the first episode of The People vs OJ Simpson aired on FX. I enjoyed it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/02/the-people-vs-oj-simpson-review-ryan-murphy/459282/

With the attention Making a Murderer has recently received as well as the public's interest in police misconduct and race relations, there's no better time for the public to watch a well done mini-series about the OJ Trial.

They certainly picked A-List actors to play roles, those that are familiar with the trial know. They even highlight OJ's friend and lawyer Robert Kardiashian's Ex wife and children. :)

Edited by Boges

I just finished watching the first season of Syfy's "The Expanse". I quite enjoyed it.

Some people have described it as "like Game of Thrones... but in space." I can see why people would say that, but I disagree. It has some aspects in common... it aspires to a complex game of political intrigue, there are are a number of main characters whose cards are never on the table, and there's an element of mystery that's part "whodunnit" and part "what's going on?" However it doesn't create that feeling of dread you get watching GoT... it likes its protagonists and isn't in a hurry to kill them off.

The setting is our solar system in the not-too-distant future... I think they said 23rd century. Mars has been colonized and has become a prosperous, independent, technologically advanced society of its own. Earth is a fading empire, dependent on resources from space. And that's the third faction in the solar system, "the Belters", the people living on colonies and space stations in the Great Asteroid Belt. They live under Earth rule, but growing dissatisfaction with poor living conditions has led to an increasingly militant independence movement. Mars and Earth are in a state of cold war, with the issue of the Belters' independence movement further complicating things.

It would be difficult to explain much of the plot without giving spoilers. The focus is on three main protagonists. The first is Joe Miller, a Belter, a broken down, slightly corrupt detective on the Ceres space station. He's given an "off the books" assignment to track down a young woman and capture her so she can be sent home to her wealthy father. The second is Chrisjen Avasarala, an Earth diplomat who uses her influence to try to prevent war from breaking out. On the surface she's a kindly East Indian grandmother... but she's also cagey, cunning, and ruthless. The third group of protagonists is James Holden and his friends, the crew of the ice-trawler "Canterbury" (water is more precious than gold in the belt, so they search the asteroid belt for chunks of ice and bring it back to Ceres station to be turned into drinking water.) In the first episode, the Canterbury answers a distress call while they're searching for ice, which sets of a series of events that brings these seemingly unrelated threads together.

One thing I liked about this show is that it's one of the rare "space" shows that makes an attempt at making the technology seem plausible. The spaceships don't travel at the speed of light, or anything close to it. They take a long time to get where they're going. They don't swoop around like airplanes... they fly in a straight line, and if they want to change direction, they turn off the engine, spin the whole ship around until it's pointing the right way, and the engine back on again, causing everybody to reach for the barf-bags due to the high G forces involved. They've put thought into the economics of space colonization. While I'm sure it's not as good as it could have been in some respects, it's quite different from other shows where technology is essentially magic.

Anyway, I enjoyed this. Luckily it'll be back for a second season.

-k

Better Call Saul's second season started last night. Followed by a Talking Dead-like post-show show hosted by Chris Hardwick.

I think I love those show mostly for the amazing callbacks to Breaking Bad. Jimmy swindles the same guy who got his car blown up by Walter White by getting him to buy a full bottle of super expensive Tequila. . . The same Tequila that Gus used to poison the Mexican Cartel in Season 4 of BB.

I also love the black and white prologue were we see what's going on with Jimmy/Saul/Gene working at the Cinnabon post Breaking Bad.

But above all, the interactions with Mike are the best of the show.

• 4 months later...

So after the craze that is Game of Thrones. HBO has put up another 8-part Miniseries with the similar flare of True Detective called "The Night Of".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ROl6IGdQnk

It sets up a murder and all the players involved: Suspect, family, cops, investigators, witnesses, defence lawyer etc. in the first episode that aired last Sunday.

I'll stay tuned to see how it plays out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently half-way through the new Netflix miniseries Stranger Things.

I am really enjoying this!

The story is set in 1983, and in many ways is a lovingly-created homage to science-fiction and horror movies of that era. Just watching the opening credits sequence-- with its vintage look, the droning synth soundtrack, and a celluloid "speckle" effect added-- is like stepping into a time machine.

Stranger Things borrows many story elements from era movies you've seen before-- E.T, Poltergeist, It, Star Man, Close Encounters, The Goonies, The Lost Boys, and others. But it stands on its own as a really enjoyable, suspenseful, entertaining show in its own right. Like some of those shows, it's not just a suspense story, but also a coming of age story as the main characters are adolescents and teenagers who have enough scary things going on in their lives even without a creepy monster lurking close by.

Wynona Ryder and Matthew Modine are the most recognizable names on the credits, but the real stars of this show are definitely the unknown young actors. I don't think I've ever seen a show with such uniformly great performances from such a young cast. They're outstanding, especially the Dungeons and Dragons kids, our dorky but courageous heroes, and Eleven, the mysterious girl who arrives in their midst. She is nearly mute, but watching her emotions play across her face and in her body language makes words completely unnecessary.

This is sometimes scary, but not really terrifying. I am a horror film wimp, and I can watch this with the lights off, so most people should be fine. It's also not gory (so far, at least.) The scares come from suspense, not violence and blood.

-k

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am currently half-way through the new Netflix miniseries Stranger Things.

I am really enjoying this!

The story is set in 1983, and in many ways is a lovingly-created homage to science-fiction and horror movies of that era. Just watching the opening credits sequence-- with its vintage look, the droning synth soundtrack, and a celluloid "speckle" effect added-- is like stepping into a time machine.

Stranger Things borrows many story elements from era movies you've seen before-- E.T, Poltergeist, It, Star Man, Close Encounters, The Goonies, The Lost Boys, and others. But it stands on its own as a really enjoyable, suspenseful, entertaining show in its own right. Like some of those shows, it's not just a suspense story, but also a coming of age story as the main characters are adolescents and teenagers who have enough scary things going on in their lives even without a creepy monster lurking close by.

Wynona Ryder and Matthew Modine are the most recognizable names on the credits, but the real stars of this show are definitely the unknown young actors. I don't think I've ever seen a show with such uniformly great performances from such a young cast. They're outstanding, especially the Dungeons and Dragons kids, our dorky but courageous heroes, and Eleven, the mysterious girl who arrives in their midst. She is nearly mute, but watching her emotions play across her face and in her body language makes words completely unnecessary.

This is sometimes scary, but not really terrifying. I am a horror film wimp, and I can watch this with the lights off, so most people should be fine. It's also not gory (so far, at least.) The scares come from suspense, not violence and blood.

-k

I was reminded of how we entertained ourselves as children in the early 1950’s in Ohio.

Sure, there was a few minutes of “Howdy Doody” in the morning, but after that, one of our favorite activities was to put on plays for the neighborhood. (I was the writer/director, of course)

Having each child go home and collect their mom’s and dad’s old shoes, jewelry, clothes etc. so we could “play grown-ups” was fun!!!

Selling tickets to the play was fun! Going to get ice cream cones with our profits was fun!

There were lots of “Little Rascals” running around the streets of America in the 1950’s prior to the age of the Internet.

And I believe we boomers are now happier people for having lived childhoods creating, dreaming, communicating, learning and loving.

I pity my grandchildren as they sit and “watch” anything on TV or their parents iPhones.

So I tried out two new series last night. One was Designated Survivor, and the other is the TV adaptation of Lethal Weapon. Both are reasonably entertaining. Lethal Weapon had the usual number of unlikely moments, but then so did the movie, and it managed to be entertaining most of the time, which is the main thing. I'm talking popcorn entertaining, not deep, cerebral, thought provoking or challenging in any way. But hey, there's room for cheap dramedy fun on TV amid all those dreary, dark, pensive serial type series. They've replaced fish-out-of-water Mel Gibson with fish-out-of-water Texan Clayne Crawford, but kept the same high energy suicidal goofiness. Damon Wayans as the straight laced, straight man partner is a little oddly cast, though, and even in the first episode he was fighting against that.

Designated Survivor is based on the idea that the whole cabinet along with almost the entirety of the senate and house are killed in a bombing at Capital Hill during the state of the union, leaving only the secretary of housing and urban development alive to be sworn in a as President. There actually is such a thing as a designated survivor, and the US actually does separate out one cabinet minister in case something like that happens, but it's a bit far fetched they'd be swearing him in as president within an hour of the bombing. It also beggars belief that the senior surviving general talks openly with a surviving White House deputy chief of staff about how the new president needs to replaced, by himself, because 'we're at war' and the new president is such a nobody (who hasn't done anything but manage a $32 billion government agency. Huh?) By way of comparison Bill Clinton's annual budget in Arkansas was about $400 million. And the less said about Obama the better. Anyway, it wasn't often boring and I'm interested enough to keep watching for now.

Edited by Argus

Lethal Weapon had the usual number of unlikely moments, but then so did the movie, and it managed to be entertaining most of the time, which is the main thing. I'm talking popcorn entertaining, not deep, cerebral, thought provoking or challenging in any way. But hey, there's room for cheap dramedy fun on TV amid all those dreary, dark, pensive serial type series.

I'm always somewhat baffled by the decision to reboot franchises that are this old. What was the thought process? Were some middle-age TV execs sitting around talking over beers about films they loved when they were teenagers? Is the target audience people in their 40s who have fond memories of the first run of Lethal Weapon movies, or is this aimed at people in their teens and 20s who aren't even old enough to remember the original movies? Is the assumption that the name recognition will guarantee an audience that a new property wouldn't have?

In my recollection, these attempts to reboot old properties seem to fail as often as they succeed. I suspect many who fondly remember the original movie will simply smile and say "yeah, I liked those when I was a kid. But I'm an adult now," while the value of name recognition isn't nearly as strong for people in the age group that this kind of program is targeted at.

I gather there's going to be a new MacGyver TV show and a new Bladerunner movie coming soon. Does the world really need either?

It also beggars belief that the senior surviving general talks openly with a surviving White House deputy chief of staff about how the new president needs to replaced, by himself, because 'we're at war' and the new president is such a nobody (who hasn't done anything but manage a $32 billion government agency. Huh?) By way of comparison Bill Clinton's annual budget in Arkansas was about $400 million. And the less said about Obama the better. Anyway, it wasn't often boring and I'm interested enough to keep watching for now.

I had a similar discussion in the Hillary's Health thread a while back. Some Trump supporters believe Mrs Clinton is on death's door, and my opinion is that it doesn't matter because everybody in the line of succession-- including the Secretary of HUD-- would be a better President than El Cheeto Grande. However, I think many would bristle at the idea that the presidency being taken over by an unelected official regardless of what the rules of succession say. In such a circumstance the new leader's legitimacy would be most likely under attack right from day one, and I imagine that's one of the themes the show will keep in mind as it moves forward. Also, keep in mind that the first episode of a show is often pretty clunky and isn't necessarily a great barometer of what the series is going to be like.

It does sound like an interesting show, and I might give it a look.

-k

I'm always somewhat baffled by the decision to reboot franchises that are this old. What was the thought process?

Seriously? Lots of gunfire, shootouts, screeching tires and exploding cars with a side order of clever buddy repartee. Who do you think the target audience is for that?

With all the reruns on TV the past twenty years movies like this are like seventies rock - the whole culture knows them because they're still out on the airwaves day after day, being replayed over and over and over. Twentysomething men might not have been around for the movie release but they've still seen at least one or two of the movies.

Edited by Argus

• 2 weeks later...

Westworld debuted last night on HBO.

It's based on a 70's movie. You have a theme park full of realistic robots in the Wild West. It's clearly moving towards a Terminator/Blade Runner scenario where the robots eventually turn on the guests that pay a lot of money to fulfill their every desire.

Excellent cast, but I'm most intrigued with the Ed Harris character who is a seasoned guest that appears to be a villain, but he's just torturing and killing robots, so what's his end game? Do the robots finally fight back against him, and that's when the problems are realized?

Who knows, but it's great premium cable.

The comparison can be made to video games like Grand Theft Auto. People do awful things, but it's fun because it's a game.

Edited by Boges

• 2 months later...

I am currently knee deep in "Luke Cage", on Netflix.

Luke Cage is part of the Marvel media empire and somewhat tied in with the Daredevil and Jessica Jones programs, also on Netflix. Luke Cage made his TV debut in the Jessica Jones TV series, where that troubled mad-woman more or less ruined his life.

But Luke Cage is actually a comic book character that dates back to the early 1970s!  He made his debut as "Luke Cage, Hero For Hire" in 1972.  He was the first black superhero to headline a comic book. Marvel created the character in response to the growing popularity of "blaxploitation" movies, and the character concept is pretty much "he's like Shaft... but he's bullet-proof!"  Luke Cage went by the superhero name "Power Man", and his "costume", if it could be called that, consisted of a bright yellow blouse with wide collar, groovy bell-bottoms, a mighty Afro, and, hilariously, a steel tiara and wrist-bracers.

All of that is gone for the TV version, though his mentor does teasingly call him "Power Man" a few times, and one amusing scene pays homage to his original comic-books appearance. The TV version of Luke Cage is a big, handsome, well-groomed man with regular clothes that usually end up with bullet-holes in them.  What hasn't changed, though, is that Luke Cage, like his earlier comic-book self, and like the blaxploitation heroes he was patterned after, is caught up in conflict with organized crime in a black neighborhood.  And the Luke Cage TV program pays a visual and musical nod to the blaxploitation genre, as well, particularly the soundtrack which is filled with funk bass and wakka-chukka guitars.  The Marvel productions have been accused of being "too white"... Luke Cage has a mostly non-white cast, and a heavily non-white creative staff behind the camera as well.

I personally like the Netflix Marvel productions more than I like the Marvel movies. The movies often seem like they're on a mission to cram as many action scenes and explosions as possible into 2 hours. With these Netflix series, we get to spend 13 hours with these characters, and we get to know them quite intimately.

Mike Colter is the ideal actor to be Luke Cage. He's about 6'4 and built like a linebacker. He's physically intimidating, and he's handsome. He radiates menace, or confidence, or charm, or seduction, ... it all feels very authentic.  Sometimes when I watch movies with highly touted actors, I feel like I am watching "acting", which some people think is great. Watching Mike Colter as Luke Cage, I don't feel like I am watching "acting", I feel like I am watching "being". The character seems to come so naturally to him that there doesn't seem to be any "acting" involved at all.

As is often the case with "superhero" shows, the villain makes the movie, and Luke Cage is no exception. My favorite part of this show has been watching Mahershala Ali portray crime-boss Cornell "Cottonmouth" Stokes. As with Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk in the Daredevil series or David Tennant as Kilgrave in Jessica Jones, Ali makes Cottonmouth almost hypnotic to watch. He's a proud peacock of a man, dressed in the finest suits as he oversees his nightclub, the finest nightclub in Harlem. He loves music, and he could have been a great musician if he hadn't been forced into the family business.  Mahershala Ali is currently starring in a limited release, small-budget movie called "Moonlight" which has been getting awards-show buzz.  I think Netflix should consider themselves fortunate to have got him to play "Cottonmouth" before he becomes a big name.

Overall, really enjoying this. Not quite as much as I enjoyed Jessica Jones, but at least as much as I enjoyed Daredevil.

-k

Don't think this one has been mentioned yet...

Lucifer... the devil gets tired of ruling hell and decides to move to earth and open up a nightclub. While he's there, he ends up meeting a woman cop, so he ends up being a "consultant", helping her solve cases. Currently in its second season.

This is probably the funnest show I've seen in a while. So many little jokes thrown around, yet they've built a rather interesting mythology and long-term plot lines.

On 12/7/2016 at 10:05 PM, kimmy said:

As is often the case with "superhero" shows, the villain makes the movie, and Luke Cage is no exception. My favorite part of this show has been watching Mahershala Ali portray crime-boss Cornell "Cottonmouth" Stokes.

Having now finished watching the first season, I need to also mention Alfre Woodard, who portrays Cottonmouth's older step-sister, a corrupt Harlem politician named Mariah Dillard.  She is not prominent during the first half of the season, but becomes a central figure in the second half.  Woodard has an uninterrupted string of acting credits that's 40 years long, so it's no surprise that she makes Councilwoman Dillard a treat to watch.  Woodard and Ali are both really great in this show.

-k

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Did anyone see "The Man in the High Castle"?  I was going to look for it until I read it deviated significantly from the book. 

I was wondering if it was any good. 

I haven't watched it myself, but now that I apparently get Amazon Prime video, I might give it a look.

-k

5 minutes ago, kimmy said:

I haven't watched it myself, but now that I apparently get Amazon Prime video, I might give it a look.

-k

I loved the book, but I did wonder how they could fill a series from it. I assumed it would be used as a basis but wiki tells me they changed it quite a bit to do even that. 

Still, with good writing the possibilities in that world are endless. 

Edited by bcsapper