New TV season... anything good on?

kimmy

I have not watched any of the new season TV shows except for "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." which based on one episode gets a solid "meh" from me at this point.

Is anybody watching anything? Anything worth a look? Here is your chance to promote your favorite new show before it gets cancelled.

-k

Out of new shows, no. We'll SHIELD but you already mentioned that. DVR got really full last week with all the new shows starting as well as a few summer shows winding down.

I do recommend Revolution. The second season got off to a great start.

Obviously Walking Dead which starts soon. Boardwalk Empires is great TV.

I must be one of the few people that still admit to watching the original CSI. Still very good with mostly new characters.

I have not watched any of the new season TV shows except for "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." which based on one episode gets a solid "meh" from me at this point.

Is anybody watching anything? Anything worth a look? Here is your chance to promote your favorite new show before it gets cancelled.

-k

I agree about Shield but I will give it another couple of viewings. To date my favorites are The Blacklist ( I am huge James Spader fan) , and Sleepy Hollow.

I agree about Shield but I will give it another couple of viewings. To date my favorites are The Blacklist ( I am huge James Spader fan) , and Sleepy Hollow.

I will definitely give Agents more time. The first episode of many shows can be clunky. (I gave the first episode of Game Of Thrones a solid "meh" as well, but luckily gave it some time.)

I have been meaning to check out The Blacklist.

As for Sleepy Hollow... it sounds like the sort of thing I would like, but the reviews have been so terrible that I haven't watched it.

-k

I will definitely give Agents more time. The first episode of many shows can be clunky. (I gave the first episode of Game Of Thrones a solid "meh" as well, but luckily gave it some time.)

I have been meaning to check out The Blacklist.

As for Sleepy Hollow... it sounds like the sort of thing I would like, but the reviews have been so terrible that I haven't watched it.

-k

I think you should check them both out. Matt Seitz likes Sleepy Hollow and I find that I am in general agreement with most of his reviews.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/tv-review-sleepy-hollow.html

I'd love to watch the series The White Queen but it's on one of those expensive channels, Superchannel or something. I just canceled Showtime and HBO because Dexter and True Blood are finished. There's always Downton Abbey to look forward to on PBS in January. Otherwise, it's the usual, Criminal Minds, NCIS and Grey's Anatomy. Actually I did like Scandal which I think is starting this week, and Blue Bloods.

The only thing I'm relatively miffed about is Game of Thrones. HBO is running on an antiquated cable model. They're trying to save cable TV, instead of looking out for themselves. Game of Thrones is not available the same day, as shows like Breaking Bad are. Instead, you can only get Game of Thrones when it's released on video, which is about a year after the season airs.

But what about HBOGo? Don't they have a mobile app?

Why yes! Yes the do. Except you need to be a cable customer to use it.

Huh?

That's right. You have to subscribe to cable television, which means purchasing a basic set of channels for roughly $70 per month. Then you have to buy the HBO package of channels, which generally runs around $20/month. So you need to pay nearly $100/month to actually use the HBOgo app. To get one show, if Game of Thrones was the only thing on their station that interested you. Nearly $100/month.

If they would just charge for a Season Pass through iTunes at $50-60, then less people would pirate it. I suspect that Game of Thrones has been one of the most pirated shows of all time because they don't offer easy and affordable ways for people to legally get the content in the format that they want. Instead, they're trying to prop up the dying cable/satellite television companies. Tsk. Tsk. HBO.

Edited by cybercoma

If they would just charge for a Season Pass through iTunes at $50-60, then less people would pirate it. I suspect that Game of Thrones has been one of the most pirated shows of all time because they don't offer easy and affordable ways for people to legally get the content in the format that they want. Instead, they're trying to prop up the dying cable/satellite television companies. Tsk. Tsk. HBO.

I agree that a season pass would be a great idea. I even considered subscribing to HBO just during the GOT season. If given the opportunity to legally DL or stream GOT on the air date, at a reasonable price, I would pay. Unfortunately, I currently steal it.

The only thing I'm relatively miffed about is Game of Thrones. HBO is running on an antiquated cable model. They're trying to save cable TV, instead of looking out for themselves. Game of Thrones is not available the same day, as shows like Breaking Bad are. Instead, you can only get Game of Thrones when it's released on video, which is about a year after the season airs.But what about HBOGo? Don't they have a mobile app?Why yes! Yes the do. Except you need to be a cable customer to use it.Huh?That's right. You have to subscribe to cable television, which means purchasing a basic set of channels for roughly $70 per month. Then you have to buy the HBO package of channels, which generally runs around $20/month. So you need to pay nearly $100/month to actually use the HBOgo app. To get one show, if Game of Thrones was the only thing on their station that interested you. Nearly $100/month.If they would just charge for a Season Pass through iTunes at $50-60, then less people would pirate it. I suspect that Game of Thrones has been one of the most pirated shows of all time because they don't offer easy and affordable ways for people to legally get the content in the format that they want. Instead, they're trying to prop up the dying cable/satellite television companies. Tsk. Tsk. HBO.

So you'd rather pay $60 to watch 10 one-hour programs (plus the bandwidth it takes to download it) Than $21/month to get that show, plus all the other HBO shows and 5 other movie channels that show at least 2 new movies a week in Full HD and On Demand? If all you want to watch is Game of Thrones then I suppose you'll have to wait for the DVDs. Sort of like with Netflix and shows like Breaking Bad and Dexter. The new seasons just completed but they won't be available on Netflix for months if not another year.

Studies have shown that though instances of people "cutting the cord" is increasing, a vast majority of people still pay for cable or satellite. I would hardly call it antiquated.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57605444-93/netflix-most-popular-online-tv-service-but-cable-still-king/

The DVR has made viewing cable TV very convenient and enjoyable for most people. You'll find that many young people do cut the cord because of cost. But if you can afford cable, most people pay for it. I have a friend that got rid of TMN/HBO because of cost but later got it back because downloading bitTorrents is a pain.

Edited by Boges

I agree that a season pass would be a great idea. I even considered subscribing to HBO just during the GOT season. If given the opportunity to legally DL or stream GOT on the air date, at a reasonable price, I would pay. Unfortunately, I currently steal it.

I'm sure the cable company would allow you pay for one month. But you'd have to do it after the season is over and watch OnDemand because a season is stretched out over 3 months.

The thing about HBO is it makes all it money off subscriptions unlike AMC. There are no ads and almost all the programming is original. So it costs a lot to put out that programming. They don't want you to just watch one show, they want to hook you in to a variety of their shows.

Right now my subscription is worth it. Just finished with the Newsroom, Boardwalk Empires is going on. There's a show called Strikeback that's very entertaining. I also like Bill Maher's program.

So you'd rather pay $60 to watch 10 one-hour programs (plus the bandwidth it takes to download it) Than $21/month to get that show, plus all the other HBO shows and 5 other movie channels

Did you even read my post? Nowhere in Canada (North America for that matter) can you get HBO for $21/month. You have to subscribe to cable or satellite television in the first place to get HBO. So that's $21/month on top of the base package price, which ends up being more like $80+/month at the bare minimum. So would I rather pay about $200-300/year for the handful of shows I'm actually interested in (and I own them in HD, as if I bought them on blu-ray) than almost $1200/year for a pile of crap that I'm not interested in? You bet.

I'll tell you what, even if I paid $1200/year on television shows through AppleTV, it would still be more worthwhile than cable because I not only have permanent access to the content as if I bought the season on blu-ray, but I also don't have to watch advertising during the shows either. So I'm glad cable is worth it to you, Boges. But I've made a decision because I don't feel it's worth it for me. To each his own.

Edited by cybercoma

Did you even read my post? Nowhere in Canada (North America for that matter) can you get HBO for $21/month. You have to subscribe to cable or satellite television in the first place to get HBO. So that's $21/month on top of the base package price, which ends up being more like $80+/month at the bare minimum. So would I rather pay about $200-300/year for the handful of shows I'm actually interested in (and I own them in HD, as if I bought them on blu-ray) than almost $1200/year for a pile of crap that I'm not interested in? You bet.

Well sounds like you're not a fan of watching too much TV. HBO likely doesn't care much about you, they want subscribers.

Doesn't sound like they're hurting for money. Netflix has tried to get them to put their content on there, like Showtime has. They clearly don't think it's a good idea. They'd rather risk people pirating the content.

I'm sure if they see their bottom line hurting they'll ad a web-only subscription. It's also about who they want to market too.

Edited by Boges

Of course, but HBO has complained about the number of people pirating their content. So it's not as if I'm saying they're thinking backwards for no reason. On one hand they're upset about people downloading their content, but on the other hand they don't offer it through iTunes the same or next day like AMC did with Breaking Bad and does with The Walking Dead. I can get it that when it comes out on video a year later, but that's really the old way of doing things.

To be clear, HBO does offer it streaming online when it airs through their HBOgo app. So they know the market is out there, but the problem with their app is that you need a cable subscription to use it. They're tied in too tightly with the cable companies is what I'm saying. If I can stream it on their app, what use do I have for a cable subscription? That's the way things are moving. You say not everyone has cut the cord and you're absolutely right, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying people are starting too and more and more are doing so each year. In other words, this is the direction we are moving.

In less than 10 years from now cable will either change or perish, imo. They'll either allow people to buy individual shows, like they can through iTunes and other online services or people will just stop subscribing as they realize the convenience of buying their television a la carte, so to speak. I highly suspect cable will eventually go to a format where you pay per view. Each episode of a show you watch will cost you $1.50 here, $3.50 there. Or you could buy season passes to shows that you're particularly interested in. That's the only way they're going to remain in business. Otherwise people will get the content they want streaming.

Of course, the cable companies also own the internet companies, so in some parts of the country (luckily not here in NB) they've capped people's internet so they have a set limit of how much content they can stream. This is designed of course to protect their cable and satellite television delivery. BellAliant FibreOP here in NB is completely unlimited. I can stream 24/7 if I wanted and not pay a penny more than what my monthly fee is.

In sum, I'm just saying the way people consume television is changing. Perhaps it hasn't for you yet and maybe it never will for you, but it has for me and many others. Even 2 years ago, I wouldn't have even been able to imagine getting rid of cable TV. But I've done it and I don't even feel like I'm missing anything. I get my news through different websites, particularly social media, and now I only buy the shows that I'm particularly interested in watching.

An interesting aside, now that I don't have cable TV, I actually have a difficult time watching it at someone else's house. I'm not used to the ads any more and they're incredible annoying when you haven't watched them for a long time.

You're pay $1.50 for an episode of programming? And you think cable is expensive? Cable is like a Buffet. You get a lot for the price you pay. If you don't want a lot, then I guess it's not for you. But it's for a lot of people.

That line of thinking doesn't jive. The reason people stick with cable is because it's convenient.

DVRs have changed cable. You don't have to worry about watching stuff when it's aired anymore and you don't have to consume ads if you don't want to.

I subscribe to Netflix but I find downloading BitTorrents not very convenient at all. But I use it to supplement my cable viewing. And I guess Netflix is cool because it also has it's own programming now.

I do believe as the cost of internet goes down we'll consume our TV content much differently. Everything will be onDemand and you can simply watch the latest shows by clicking on an icon instead of flipping through channels or a guide.

But I don't think we'll get away from a buffet model of playing a flat price of set number of channels.

You'll still need live programming because of sports and news.

Hulu and Netflix already handle the buffet option at prices ranging from free to cheap. News could easily be recorded 30 minutes prior to being available online. However, live events are streamed online all the time, why couldn't news and sports programming be served up this way?

It could and probably will.

I watch NFL online all the time because I find NFL Sunday Ticket a massive rip off. But it's not an ideal way to consume to product. I'm just saying you can't do sports onDemand. It's something that is meant to be consumed live

Hulu would be great. Blame the CRTC for not having it in Canada.

You'll need to pay for this stuff though. Especially in the case of HBO where they have no ads so they're funded by subscriptions.

Edited by Boges

You'll need to pay for this stuff though. Especially in the case of HBO where they have no ads so they're funded by subscriptions.

Sometimes I only feel like a sandwich, why force me to pay for the whole buffet? Now I'm eating a sandwich smuggled out of the restaurant in a large purse, when I would willingly pay for it, if I could.

Sometimes I only feel like a sandwich, why force me to pay for the whole buffet? Now I'm eating a sandwich smuggled out of the restaurant in a large purse, when I would willingly pay for it, if I could.

Basic Cable is rather slim actually, my carrier only charges like $40 for it. You do have to rent or buy the box if you want HD which I don't like.

They've gone to bundling a lot of the nicer channels and you can a la carte other channels if you want.