David Suzuki on immigration

Boges

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/canada/canadian-politics/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/11/jason-kenney-slams-xenophobic-david-suzuki-after-environmentalist-claims-canada-is-full

Canadians birth rate isn't going to sustain even modest population growth. Immigration is important to keep our economy growing.

I can understand an environmentalists opinion that the world is overpopulated. Now whether I agree is another thing.

Quite frankly had a conservative said such a thing I'm sure there would be cries of racism.

Would he have the guts to say that other nations should ban reproduction? Probably not.

Good for Kenney for calling Suzuki out on such an insane statement.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of cynical for them to cite Xenophobia, when in fact Suzuki has stated his reasons for his position.

If you think Suzuki's idea is insane you should say why perhaps. You're right that people point fingers and name call instead of commenting on substance but the National Post and Kenney have done the same thing. Do you think that's ok ?

Bwa ha ha. Suzuki is worth a laugh.

It's the "I'm here now so let's close the door." syndrome. I find him, to be kind, just a little arrogant. He's a person who believes wholly in the classless society, run by the intellectual class. (see signature)

After all, Cuba doesn't need immigration to keep itself plugging along. It just needs to keep people from leaving.

Edited by Pliny

Quite frankly had a conservative said such a thing I'm sure there would be cries of racism.

Well if the conservative said "we should keep people out to keep Canada white", then there would be "cries of racism"... A person's comments should be analyzed in context. If it is for environmental reasons, then obviously that is not a racist or xenophobic remark. It is absolutely amazing how Kenney, the current government and their supporters attempt to twist and spin things into what they are not. And it is so transparent...

Well if the conservative said "we should keep people out to keep Canada white", then there would be "cries of racism"... A person's comments should be analyzed in context. If it is for environmental reasons, then obviously that is not a racist or xenophobic remark. It is absolutely amazing how Kenney, the current government and their supporters attempt to twist and spin things into what they are not. And it is so transparent...

If I were Suzuki, I would sue Kenney for defamation based on his ridiculous public accusations.

How is Suzuki's remark xenophobic, when his reasons are environmental, not racial or cultural or religious etc.? This is pretty ironic, and downright hilarious, coming from the most xenophobic cabinet member in the Conservative Party.

I don't think Mr. Suzuki is xenophobic but the charge could be laid if the immigration policy favoured countries that were not white or European or Japanese and Suzuki thought immigration should stop, even if he gave other reasons for it to stop.

But I think that Mr. Suzuki basically sees two classes. The intellectual class and the rest of the masses. I note his reference to Trudeau and his policy of multi-culturalism which is proving to be a failure. Our immigrants, in my view, should assimilate in the culture, diversity can be maintained by individuals without government having to foster it or fund it to support it. It is often unfair in that one culture may receive more funding than another, it being dependent uponhow much government or constituencies are lobbied for largesse from the public purse.

I think I'm right on this but 250,000 foreigners have been let into Canada yearly, at least since 2006, so that's about 1.7 million and growing by 250,000 yearly. So, were are all those jobs going to come from, how much of the welfare will have to look after them, if at all.

I think I'm right on this but 250,000 foreigners have been let into Canada yearly, at least since 2006, so that's about 1.7 million and growing by 250,000 yearly. So, were are all those jobs going to come from, how much of the welfare will have to look after them, if at all.

Well if it's legal immigration there should be reasonable to employment prospects.

It's ironic that Suzuki didn't say Canada was full to people seeking refugee status. His major opposition was that Canada plunders poorer nations of their talented individuals.

Is Canada supposed to be open to people seeking refuge but have no reasonable expectation of employment? But it's bad to demand that prospective immigrants should be able to actually contribute to Canada.

It's not a zero sum game. New immigrants create new demand in the economy.

It's a syndrome. And quite peculiar to British Columbians especially among the native born. "I'm here and we don't need any more people, thank you very much. Bye-bye now!"

Rather understandable given how crowded the lower mainland is and the high prices of land. Mind you, most of our urban centres are quite crowded enough and don't need more people.

Generally speaking, unemployment rates and welfare have remained fairly constant.....so the jobs are there. It's called an expanding economy - even though we've had tough times since 2009.

It's ironic that Suzuki didn't say Canada was full to people seeking refugee status. His major opposition was that Canada plunders poorer nations of their talented individuals.

That is inarguable.

It's not a zero sum game. New immigrants create new demand in the economy.

And drive up housing prices, and drive down wages, and the increased population results in paving over farmland and forests in order to build more subdivisions, greater pollution, and an increasing demand for government services, which in turn drives up taxes.

The very basic essence of a country like Canada is that any anti-immigration sentiments might make you a little laughable to say the least. I don't think there is any successful politician in Canada calling for closing the doors.

It is a diferent matter here in Europe which consists mainly of nation-states.

You're still taking about it as if its a zero sum game.

The amount of space here is not expandable unless you think we're going to be living on the tundra. So yes, in terms of the environment, it is a zero sum game. The more people, the more pollution and the less forest and farmland.

So how do we account for Trudeau Jr. wanting to increase immigration in the family class.

Looks like Justin Trudeau is now pandering to another group of people as he’s promising to ‘reform’ our family class immigration rules. How is he going to finance the $1.5 and $2 billion annually for their health care. Very effective ethno-politicking indeed.

Contrast Trudeau’s gushing defense of an expanded immigration system with his refusal to criticize David Suzuki, when the patron saint of Canadian leftism called for an effective end to immigration into Canada. hmmmm

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/26/justin-trudeau-has-the-wrong-idea-on-immigration

• 1 year later...

Well, this should go down in history: I agree with Suzuki, SOME of our immigration policy is definitely trying to skim the cream of other countries' crops of professionals.

What I can not possibly agree with is the idea that we should be doing anything BUT that in seeking immigrants. We do allow in vast numbers of people who, let's face it, are really not much of a contribution to our economy (unless you count gang warfare and drug trading as part of our economic model). THAT should stop dead in its tracks.

I prefer to think that bringing in the right level of professional skill sets means we have a far better chance of developing our resource economy with less impact on the environment that just maintaining the status quo. Fresh blood, new ideas and new connections are very much part of that possibility. Also more educated and highly employed people tend to have far fewer children than...er..."lower class" families (you know, the ones that JT thinks will vote for the Drivel party) reducing the load per family and per dollar of economic activity on the environment over the next few generations.

Edited by cannuck