Problems using quote feature

Guest American Woman

As has been already pointed out, going back and forth between the formats results in problems/errors* - and it's necessary to go back and forth because his workaround also disables all of the tools.

*It's very frustrating and time consuming to have to go back and fix all of the errors that crop up.

You just have to manually type in the BBCode. If you don't know them, you can click back and forth. I haven't noticed any problems and errors going between the two.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forum Admin

As has been already pointed out, going back and forth between the formats results in problems/errors* - and it's necessary to go back and forth because his workaround also disables all of the tools.

*It's very frustrating and time consuming to have to go back and fix all of the errors that crop up.

What errors are cropping up?

Everyone needs to clear their cache before they go any farther in this thread. I believe 99% of the problems are stemming from a caching problem.

I can use the quote and the multiquote features with no errors. I can edit the quotes and add to the quotes, and no errors (formatting or otherwise) are present.

See this page for how to clear your cache in all modern browsers: http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache

Guest American Woman

What errors are cropping up?

Everyone needs to clear their cache before they go any farther in this thread. I believe 99% of the problems are stemming from a caching problem.

I did clear it before when you told me to, but I just cleared it again, so I'll see what happens now......

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

Thank AM - if you can take a screenshot of the errors or problems you're having, that would be helpful too.

So far, so good - knock on wood! I'm still getting the broken image by the post number, though - but that might not mean anything.

Thanks for your attention to the whole "problems with quotes" matter - it's appreciated. :)

Guest American Woman

I've been having these problems too. I posted a map for my elections thread and when I went to edit it, it told me I had too many images in the post - but that was the only one.

I'm still getting the "too many images" message at times, too (not always), even though there's only one image/emoticon in my post - but if I post it and then edit it to include the image(s), it works.

Thanks for the tip AW...I was going to revert to ASCII Art:

: :M

XMX .HMM>

MMMM. dMMMM>

'MMMMMX ..... dMMMMMMX

XMMMMMMMnMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

:MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM>

XMMMMM!" "MMMMMM"` `"MMMMM

MMMM# 4MMf `MMMX

XMMM MX 'MMM:

'MMM~ '> MMM

MMMf . '> `MMX

MMMM> :MMM '> :MMM MMMX

XMMMM MMMM> '> XMMMX MMMMk

MMMMMM> MMMM~ 'k MMMMX MMMMMh

MMMMMMMX XMMM XX ?MMM XMMMMMMM

MMMMMMMMk ^` X 'h ` :MM##MMM~

?MM> ^?M. .! %. .HM" MM

.?M '"%+++!".nMMMMn "%++!*" %.. 'M..

`?M>+%L <MMMMMMMM> : XM"

'X % XMMMMMMMM> X 'f

X `M. ?MMMMMM~ .HM :`

%. `MMMx. .xHMMM X

.. `X `MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :f

:MMMMMMMh:.M. 4MM " MM" xMMMMMMMMMMh.

:MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM: `%x.......x"`.HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMhx.......xHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

.nHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM`MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMX

:MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMdMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"``""MMMMMMMMMMMM!MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! XMMMMMMMMMMMf:HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

M?MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM` :MMMMMMMMMMMM!MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~

:MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMX MMMMMMMMMMMMXXMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM`

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMX 'MMMMMMMMMMMMM!MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMX

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~ 'MMMMMMMMMMMMMM?MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~

#M)MMMMMMMM!MMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM/MMMMMMMMMMMM~

?MMMMMM"-"2MMMMMx XMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMX?**!:MMM"`

^"" XMMMMMMMM 'MMMMMMMMMMM"`MMMMMMMMMMM>

XMMMMMMMMML MMMMMMMMMX .MMMMMMMMMMMf

XMMMMMMMMMML 4MMMMMMMMMXMMMMMMMMMMM~

XMMMMMMMMMMMMXMMMMMMMMMMXMMMMMMMMMx.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!MMMMMMMMMMLMMMMMMMMMMMMx

#MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!MMMMMMMMMMMMM

`MMMMMMMMMMMLMMMMMMMMMMM/MMMMMMMMMMMM>

`*MMMMM!nMMMMMHh(?*MMM?MMMMMMMMMMM>

XMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMX4MMMMMMMMMM

XM# `*MMMMMMMMXMMMMMMMM"

'M `MMMMMMMX^"*""

Xf !?MMMMMM

'X X ?MMMMM

! `> `MMMMX

#: 4 X> 'MMMM>

`L "x.xM~ `MMMX

%. f MMMX

`#M`` :MMM~

`Mx. dMMM~

``"**MM*"

• 3 weeks later...

This a test to confirm whether or not Greg pressed the right button when fixing whatever had to be fixed.

Looks good to me, except attempts to crop out some statements in the quote seems to delete the entire quote...but that may be me.

This is my problem too. If I try to "crop out" (or add extra lines) in a quote, I frequently delete the quote box. In addition, I sometimes cannot add blank lines outside the quote box - although, if I add two blank lines inside the quote box, this sometimes pushes the cursor outside.

This happens in both IE10 and Chrome. (In IE10, I have noticed that the label line in the quote box seems to be part of a table.)

This may seem like a small matter but it's not. It's very frustrating because I prefer to read through threads, quote previous posters and provide a reply. It is now cumbersome (ie. impossible) to do this and it means that I don't enjoy posting here.

-----

As an example, there are other posts in this thread that I would like to quote in this reply but I won't because I fear making a mess. Moreover, I would like to edit Sleipnir's comment above and delete "This a test to confirm whether or not Greg pressed the right button when fixing whatever had to be fixed." but I won't...

(Heck, the simple fact that I copied and pasted that quote above has now changed the font I am using now.)

Greg, please fix these problems soon. We don't need sophisticated editing tools for what amounts to a simple discussion forum.

This is my problem too. If I try to "crop out" (or add extra lines) in a quote, I frequently delete the quote box. In addition, I sometimes cannot add blank lines outside the quote box - although, if I add two blank lines inside the quote box, this sometimes pushes the cursor outside.

Yes, this is a pain, so I always preserve the quote formatting by adding an elipsis (...) to the front of the post, have my way with it, then post the reply. Emoticons also have to be edited out.

Yes, this is a pain, so I always preserve the quote formatting by adding an elipsis (...) to the front of the post, have my way with it, then post the reply. Emoticons also have to be edited out.

A pain?

For years, I have stopped by this forum - had a glass of wine - and made a point or two.

If Greg wants the place to go high tech, sophisticated formatting, then I'll find another forum.

----

IMV, this forum is primarily a place where "Canadians" can easily discuss federal issues. (Foreigners are welcome.)

A pain?

For years, I have stopped by this forum - had a glass of wine - and made a point or two.

If Greg wants the place to go high tech, sophisticated formatting, then I'll find another forum.

Sometimes pain is good....learning new tricks helps to delay the onset of Alzheimer's in old folks like me.

IMV, this forum is primarily a place where "Canadians" can easily discuss federal issues. (Foreigners are welcome.)

True, but the forum engine is clearly American !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

This is not "our" software per se - we're using board software provided by a 3rd party. As such, there are sometimes other reasons (such as security upgrades) that you are forced to upgrade. The last large upgrade involved such a change, I believe. We seem to have far fewer spammers to chase away as a result.

Change is constant, and you have to take the good with the bad.

• Forum Admin

This issue is being investigated and will be fixed shortly.

I agree, it's annoying. Give me some time to troubleshoot the problem and I will update this thread when I have a solution.

• Forum Admin

It does not look look like I can do much about this quoting issue - it's a problem inherent with the WYSIWYG editor that is shipped with the IPB forum software.

It is also the case that I don't have any option of picking and choosing which features come with a forum upgrade. Unfotunately, I cannot ignore the upgrades as they include important security patches that NEED to be applied to the forum software. I can't leave the forum unpatched, as that can cause security holes that can be exploited by hackers and script kiddies.

HOWEVER, it is possible to disable the WYSIWYG and return to the simple text entry box that was used in older versions of the forum. To do this, click the tiny switch on the top left hand corner of the post box. That will disable the WYSIWYG editor, but you will still be able to using the quote and multi-quote feature.

It does not look look like I can do much about this quoting issue - it's a problem inherent with the WYSIWYG editor that is shipped with the IPB forum software.

It is also the case that I don't have any option of picking and choosing which features come with a forum upgrade. Unfotunately, I cannot ignore the upgrades as they include important security patches that NEED to be applied to the forum software. I can't leave the forum unpatched, as that can cause security holes that can be exploited by hackers and script kiddies.

HOWEVER, it is possible to disable the WYSIWYG and return to the simple text entry box that was used in older versions of the forum. To do this, click the tiny switch on the top left hand corner of the post box. That will disable the WYSIWYG editor, but you will still be able to using the quote and multi-quote feature.

Tried that. clicked the arrow and tried to edit your quote, but response was exactly the same. Quote box disappears, but edit does not take place

Tried that. clicked the arrow and tried to edit your quote, but response was exactly the same. Quote box disappears, but edit does not take place

Tried that. clicked the arrow and tried to edit your quote, but response was exactly the same. Quote box disappears, but e

What arrow ? I'm wondering if you're clicking the right thing - Greg talked about a box not an arrow.

What arrow ? I'm wondering if you're clicking the right thing -

It's a box with what looks like an arrow in it to me. Click it and all the editiding feature bars disappear. I think I did what Greg said, but it's not working. However I just edited your comment, even with editing features enabled, so I don't know what's going on here.