Problems using quote feature

Guest American Woman

Not asking for perfection, just something that is functional. An upgrade should not mean breaking the one thing we use the most. Quoting is a key integral part of a forum.

Ok, but it mostly works for most of us that use it - including me. I don't see why it's a big deal to click one button, and be able to get back to how it was.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Ok, but it mostly works for most of us that use it - including me. I don't see why it's a big deal to click one button, and be able to get back to how it was.

It doesn't work well for me and I don't think you should assume that it mostly works for most of us that use it - unless most people have said that it mostly works for them, which they haven't. It does stink, as MG said. It's not just a matter of clicking on one button and being able to get back to how it was. If only it were so simple. There are extra tags, if you try to remove too much of the quote the quote box disappears and you can't get it back, quotes are embedded within each other, and sometimes you lose the whole thing trying to correct it. Text size changes, you have to go back and forth between the formats in order to make use of the features, and sometimes there are so many tags within the quote box that I can barely make sense of it. An extra[ /quote] seems to pop up at the end, and if you don't catch it, the whole post is contained in one large quote box. Of all the edits I make to my posts, 95% of them are to correct a quote function error. Edited by American Woman

It doesn't work well for me and I don't think you should assume that it mostly works for most of us that use it - unless most people have said that it mostly works for them, which they haven't. It does stink, as MG said. It's not just a matter of clicking on one button and being able to get back to how it was. If only it were so simple. There are extra tags, if you try to remove too much of the quote the quote box disappears and you can't get it back, quotes are embedded within each other, and sometimes you lose the whole thing trying to correct it. Text size changes, you have to go back and forth between the formats in order to make use of the features, and sometimes there are so many tags within the quote box that I can barely make sense of it. An extra[ /quote] seems to pop up at the end, and if you don't catch it, the whole post is contained in one large quote box. Of all the edits I make to my posts, 95% of them are to correct a quote function error.

Ok - let's go through this again. Have you got to the point where it shows you the quoted text like this yet ?

[ quote ] quoted text [/ quote ]

Added: I mean with the square brackets and the word 'quote' inside them ?

To my mind, invision does a better job than products like facebook when it upgrades. Is it perfect ? No. We can ask for perfection, I guess, but we can't expect it.

Not asking for perfection, just something that is functional. An upgrade should not mean breaking the one thing we use the most. Quoting is a key integral part of a forum.

Facebook sets a pretty low bar. I think it's an awful platform, not that I don't use it now and then.

Agreed. I click and unclick that button a few times during the writing of an (increasingly rare, for me) post.

Guest American Woman

Oh I click the button all the time, actually its on by default for me. But at times it still messes up the quoting.

Exactly.

Ok - let's go through this again. Have you got to the point where it shows you the quoted text like this yet ?

[ quote ] quoted text [/ quote ]

Added: I mean with the square brackets and the word 'quote' inside them ?

I know how to use it - that's not the problem. See GH's quote above.

At times it will say .. 'the quotes are not good' at other times it says nothing and posts.. not consistent ... i work around it ...

Let's go through it step by step then. You click the 'Quote' button on another poster's posts, then you see the 'compose' page. You hit the button above the bolding 'B' at the top left of the compose window. At that point, you should see left square bracked, then "quote name=" and the header information, followed by right square bracket, then the post, followed by the closing BB code brackets. Do you see that ?

Let's go through it step by step then.

That might be tricky when people do not even know HOW to tie their shoe-laces ---- let alone afford proper footwear.

LOL

Sorry, guys! I just had to inject a bit of stale humor in an otherwise enlightening thread.

Let's go through it step by step then. You click the 'Quote' button on another poster's posts, then you see the 'compose' page. You hit the button above the bolding 'B' at the top left of the compose window. At that point, you should see left square bracked, then "quote name=" and the header information, followed by right square bracket, then the post, followed by the closing BB code brackets. Do you see that ?

I am no idiot when it comes to computers or code, which makes the inconsistent functionality of the quote system a real pain in the ass to work with, and your attempt at a statement fit for 5 year old kids is ... a bit insulting to say the least.