Problems using quote feature

Guest American Woman

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

It's a box with what looks like an arrow in it to me. Click it and all the editiding feature bars disappear. I think I did what Greg said, but it's not working. However I just edited your comment, even with editing features enabled, so I don't know what's going on here.

I think you're describing the "collapse toolbar" box. The box you want to click on is on the opposite side of the tool bar - the first box on the upper left hand side as you're looking at your screen. It's right before the 'eraser' ("remove format" option) with the line over it and right above the "B" (bold) option.

It will prevent you from using the tool bar as it fades it out, but if you click on it again after you've edited the quote, you can use the tool bar features. Sometimes I have to click back and forth during the course of writing a post when I want to separate the quote into more than one quote box.

Edited by American Woman

HOWEVER, it is possible to disable the WYSIWYG and return to the simple text entry box that was used in older versions of the forum. To do this, click the tiny switch on the top left hand corner of the post box. That will disable the WYSIWYG editor, but you will still be able to using the quote and multi-quote feature.

Thanks Greg, that's apparently a good workaround.

----

Developers take note: Software can live and die on such small features.

Edited by August1991

Guest American Woman

Unfortunately, that upper left click button/icon on the edit ribbon has made havoc of the wraparound feature: words get cut in two according to some fixed character length. (I fear that if you go beyond 80 characters, like an IBM card, it's a wrap.)

They aren't cut it two when it's posted - just while composing the post.

• Forum Admin

I have made some changes to the forum, and this issue now appears to be resolved. I can edit and make changes to the quotes and the whole quotation no longer disapears.

Please confirm...

I have made some changes to the forum (wiped out part of sentence)

Please confirm...

Not working well. Hard or impossible to post material below quotes. I turned switch to do this.

Guest American Woman

I have made some changes to the forum, and this issue now appears to be resolved. I can edit and make changes to the quotes and the whole quotation no longer disapears.

Please confirm...

So far, so good. Thank you.

It seems to be 'hit and miss' - still happens to me on occasion.

I think it depends on the browser/platform we are using. Some are using windows, macs, IE, Firefox, Safari, ect ect. mobile device?!?....each browser seems to interpret the coding of a site different, resulting in lost functionality.

Guest American Woman

I think it depends on the browser/platform we are using. Some are using windows, macs, IE, Firefox, Safari, ect ect. mobile device?!?....each browser seems to interpret the coding of a site different, resulting in lost functionality.

Using the same browser on the same laptop, it's been hit and miss since Greg made his post asking for confirmation. Mostly it works fine, but sometimes it doesn't, and the whole quotation disappears.

Using the same browser on the same laptop, it's been hit and miss since Greg made his post asking for confirmation. Mostly it works fine, but sometimes it doesn't, and the whole quotation disappears.

It seems to work well with the button on the upper left clicked.

• 2 months later...

Please confirm...

It's still crappy, Greg.

The quote feature enters blank lines, or creates whole new quotes, and I have to click on the upper left icon to clear them out in html. When I use the html icon, I have no easy access to web-links and word-wrap doesn't work.

-----

Greg, this is an Internet forum. I don't need fancy formatting. I want to be able to quote previous posts, and provide links. [To me, a really useful feature would give me an easy way to find my last post in a thread. A good search function would be good too.]

Frankly, I post here less often since this upgrade because it's now a hassle.

Edited by August1991

Guest American Woman

Just lately a problem I've been having using the quote feature and switching back and forth between the formats is the appearance of [/size3] appearing randomly within the quotes and the response I am typing - and I have to manually delete them or they show up in my posts. Seems I'm always having to edit my posts - more than usual! :P - because of formatting problems. Don't know if anything can be done about this problem, but just thought I'd throw it out there for what it's worth.

Edited by American Woman

• 4 weeks later...

I think Greg's solution; the button, works great.

It doesn't.

=====

Why can't people understand that a shoelace is a good invention/technology that solves a problem. Sure, velcro is better in some situations, but a shoelace is still good.

In 300 years, heck in 3000 years, I'm sure that human beings will still be tying shoelaces. Why? Because humans will still have feet, and they will still be wearing shoes. And shoes are best tied with shoelaces.

Despite Michelangelo, Mohammed's supposed conversations with God, Apple or Bill Gates, a Roman toilet has the same shape of a modern toilet.

I've just clicked the switch thing so I can manually enter in the quote tags.

I like it.

So far the easiest solution for me.

Very easy.

Your results may vary

Breaking the quotes up like this is much simpler, and more productive. This should be the default. The automated system simply does not work as it should!

In a few occasions where I replied to some comments, the tags got all messed up and after some frustration, I got them right .. then forgot what I was going to post .. so I did not post ...... :/

To my mind, invision does a better job than products like facebook when it upgrades. Is it perfect ? No. We can ask for perfection, I guess, but we can't expect it.

Not asking for perfection, just something that is functional. An upgrade should not mean breaking the one thing we use the most. Quoting is a key integral part of a forum.