What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

• 2 weeks later...

I was never a Prince fan. I was aware of how talented he was but never really understood why he was so well liked. Anyway, here is a clip of him performing with Petty, Winwood and others at the 04 Hall Of Fame inductions; he absolutely rocks this solo. Impressive.

He literally drops the mic. Tosses the guitar and walks off stage at the end. It's quite something with all the talent up there that Prince just overshadows all of them here. His 2007 Super Bowl performance may have been the greatest halftime performance of all time.

He literally drops the mic. Tosses the guitar and walks off stage at the end. It's quite something with all the talent up there that Prince just overshadows all of them here. His 2007 Super Bowl performance may have been the greatest halftime performance of all time.

What's interesting is that Prince has said that was the first he heard of the song.

Wow. Damn. Eddie Vedder today said that Prince is the greatest guitarist he's ever heard. Clapton in the 80s was once asked, "what's it like being the greatest guitar player of all time?" He replied, "I don't know. You'll have to ask Prince." He was truly underrated for his skills.

Wow. Damn. Eddie Vedder today said that Prince is the greatest guitarist he's ever heard. Clapton in the 80s was once asked, "what's it like being the greatest guitar player of all time?" He replied, "I don't know. You'll have to ask Prince." He was truly underrated for his skills.

I've listened to Prince since he put out 1999. Then I heard about the older albums, and there were several things that impressed me.

1 - The first two albums were really true solo efforts, as he played all the instruments, recorded, mixed, produced on his own

2 - Always had total control over his work and image

3 - Not only is he a great guitar player, he excelled at about 30 other instruments.

4 - A pure showman/entertainer from the start.

You'd be really hard pressed to find another artist out there that has accomplished as much as he has. There is the Prince you know, and the Prince you don't know you know. He wrote many tracks for other artists during the 80s and 90s even into the 2000s.which many charted very well and even to #1.

Yeah his passing is a big deal to me as I've followed him through the years even when he was not making albums. I am glad I got to see him a couple years back, was simply an amazing show and everything I hoped it to be.

Sometimes it snows in April.

...." He was truly underrated for his skills.

Perhaps by some, but Prince's musical genius was well known locally long before he went national/international. This is not uncommon for city or regional acts. He was a prodigy that matured just as popular culture was embracing music videos and later, digital distribution. As is often the case, the fame was both a curse and a blessing, with legendary battles between The Artist and Warner Bros. The music business is a "harsh mistress".

Prince was a very private person but he remained engaged with the local community (schools/clubs/basketball/charities) and was not a recluse in that regard. He once opined words to the effect that Minnesota weather helps keeps the "riff-raff out" and one of the reasons he built his studio far from LA or NY.

You'd be really hard pressed to find another artist out there that has accomplished as much as he has. There is the Prince you know, and the Prince you don't know you know. He wrote many tracks for other artists during the 80s and 90s even into the 2000s.which many charted very well and even to #1.

According to the director Kevin Smith (Silent Bob), Prince produced many songs, full videos, documentaries, etc. and never released them. He spent real money having this stuff made, just to put in his vault. This was revealed to Smith by one of Prince's private producers while Kevin worked on a concert film like doc for Prince, that never saw the light of day. When asked why Prince does this, the producer said that Prince has lived in the Prince world for so long that he no longer comprehends the world the same way we do.

Edited by Guest

According to the director Kevin Smith (Silent Bob), Prince produced many songs, full videos, documentaries, etc. and never released them. He spent real money having this stuff made, just to put in his vault. This was revealed to Smith by one of Prince's private producers while Kevin worked on a concert film like doc for Prince, that never saw the light of day. When asked why Prince does this, the producer said that Prince has lived in the Prince world for so long that he no longer comprehends the world the same way we do.

Prince was always writing songs. And in many cases even recorded many, only to simply hit delete.

Unfortunately Funk dies with him. I don't know anyone else at this stage who was as funky as that man.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a Google Music subscriber. Sometimes they recommend stuff for me based on stuff I like. A couple that recently turned up in my recommendations that I quite liked:

Raven-Eye - Hey Hey Yeah ... Not quite sure what grabbed me about this... I guess it's just very rhythmic, propulsive knocking-stuff-over rock.

Greenleaf - Highway Officer. This is a Swedish "stoner rock" band. I really liked the instruments in this song. You can hear Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden influences in the guitar and bass sound, and the organ adds just a touch of Deep Purple to it too. The instrumental play-out starting at around 2:30 is really great.

-k

Has anyone ever heard of The Groundhogs from the 60's and 70's? I just discovered them about an hour ago and am really diggn' their sound. I'm into the show Vinyl right now and really want to go back in time and be in the music business. So either their songs are fun or it's a phase I'm going through...not yet sure which.

Edited by Guest

Has anyone ever heard of The Groundhogs from the 60's and 70's? I just discovered them about an hour ago and am really diggn' their sound. I'm into the show Vinyl right now and really want to go back in time and be in the music business. So either their songs are fun or it's a phase I'm going through...not yet sure which.

Not familiar with the groundhogs but I love the show vinyl! Brings back lots of great memories.

I especially love the scenes where he meets up with Elvis and Tom.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

I especially love the scenes where he meets up with Elvis and Tom.

There are so many great scenes and characters. I also love it when they include old musicians like Elvis, Bowie, Robert Plant, etc.

Now there's a band who should have called it quits 10 years ago. Radiohead as well.

I never really "got" Radiohead, but I do love Paranoid Android. The choral portion just puts chills up my spine.

Regarding the Peppers... I recall being at a Zellers once upon a time and hearing Muzak of "Under The Bridge" and realizing that the Red Hot Chili Peppers were no longer cool.

-k