What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

This is my favorite Kyuss song. I really like the down-tempo portion starting at 3:00 and the lush guitar outro starting at 4:00.

Stoner rock, much of it has so much potential but a lot of the more popular bands seem to be missing something, hard to put my finger on it. Kyruss for instance, their vocalist just isn't very good IMO. My fav Kyruss song is Green Machine.

Two of my favorite stoner metal songs:

and

Check out their YouTube channel, they have made some phenomenal videos. The one guitar vid is certainly what kick started their fame though. It got them on the Ellen Degeneres show and caused Snoop to ask them to open for him. I've seen them live twice and just like their videos they put on an incredibly creative and entertaining stage show. They are all talented, multi-instrumentalists plus they turn the show into an interactive, theatrical experience. They are about to tour again, most of the stops are in the US but they will be in a few Canadian cities. It's definitely a show worth seeing.

This one take cover of Royals is an example of the neat stuff they do. The making of vid for this one is worth watching as well. It shows the people in the background tossing the Ukes from one end of the line to the other, etc.

Edited by Mighty AC

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone think Mumford and his various sons would have made it if the new album was their first? I don't mind the Coldplayesque single Believe, but I don't love it. I'm glad they evolved as a band, considering they already made the same album twice. However, I probably wouldn't have given the new tracks a second listen if I wasn't already a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6SkvErFEE

• 1 month later...

I'm not really into big band or accordion, but for reasons not entirely clear to me I've had this kicking around my MP3 collection for many years. It makes me think of sunset on a beach in summer.

James Last passed away this week.

-k

Spotify. I listen to Flo + the Machine on Spotify.

But I'm a middle aged man so that's weird if kids are listening to them too.

Me too, and I've posted a video of them in this thread.

But I got her from my kids...

The kids on my block are all about Florence + The Machine, who played Toronto. Do people here like her too ? What's a good departure point ?

They had a big hit a few years ago with "The Dog Days Are Over"

Lately they are back on the radio with this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mKLXUxCMdA

-k

Two recent released that I've been loving are Jeff Beck - Live + and Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly. Both excellent stuff. Great engineering on both. It's good to see the Loudness War is starting to disappear.

Edited by cybercoma

I agree Cyber. But I should point out that Hip Hop and Rap are still very much engaged in the loudness wars. I did read a very good article regarding this in Stereophile magazine a few years ago. They held a conference that included the most highly respected Engineers in the business. They then measured different forms and styles of music in order to determine just how much the dynamic range of said music was affected by this trend of ever increasing loudness. Although they concluded that many forms of music were affected in a very pronounced negative way they also discovered that there were a few exceptions to the rule. Two of these were Hip Hop and Rap. They concluded that these forms of music contained so little dynamic range to begin with that cranking up the loudness during recording had very little effect on the quality, or lack there off. Quite interesting actually and affirms what I've been saying for years.

I agree Cyber. But I should point out that Hip Hop and Rap are still very much engaged in the loudness wars. I did read a very good article regarding this in Stereophile magazine a few years ago. They held a conference that included the most highly respected Engineers in the business. They then measured different forms and styles of music in order to determine just how much the dynamic range of said music was affected by this trend of ever increasing loudness. Although they concluded that many forms of music were affected in a very pronounced negative way they also discovered that there were a few exceptions to the rule. Two of these were Hip Hop and Rap. They concluded that these forms of music contained so little dynamic range to begin with that cranking up the loudness during recording had very little effect on the quality, or lack there off. Quite interesting actually and affirms what I've been saying for years.

That's really interesting. There's some very poorly engineered rap albums for sure. I think most of the pop stuff I've ever heard is just muddled garbage. This Kendrick Lamar album is fantastic though. The other one I can think of that stands above the rest was The Roots - Undun.

There's definitely room for improvement though. There's a dynamic range database site that lets you lookup the range in albums. Here's the Kendrick Lamar one: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=to+pimp+a+butterflyand The Roots album: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/13888. As you can see both albums are on the highest end of bad (7), narrowly missing the transition range. But compare that to something like Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (5) or Yeezus (4) and you can see there's a bit of difference in these other artists.

There's a long way to go, but Spotify announced recently that they were going to begin using normalization processes in their streaming service. This makes pushing loudness completely unnecessary and actually more likely to make the songs sound worse.

Vinyl is still the way to go for now, since as you're probably well aware, pushing loudness on vinyl causes needles to jitter and makes the album sound like absolute garbage. The masters for vinyl are still far and above better than the way they master for digital or CD. I'm still considering getting a Projekt Carbon turntable. Seems like the best price to quality ratio, but I've yet to bite the bullet because I'm afraid it will just collect dust.