What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

That's interesting, Slick. I wasn't sure what to expect from a Disturbed cover of Sound Of Silence, but that wasn't bad. Not the worst cover I've heard lately, for sure. Probably because they took it in quite a different direction from the original.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, my radio has been invaded lately by this cover of the Rolling Stones' Shelter, which winds up sounding like a lame copy of the original. IMO trying to cover Shelter is probably one of the most thankless and pointless things that a rock music act could do. Right up there with trying to cover ... Bohemian Rhapsody? Stairway to Heaven? Space Odyssey? Unless you're going to do something completely different-- like Disturbed did above-- you'll just remind people that the original was really great and make them wish they were listening to that instead. If you want to cover Shelter, do it as a reggae song or a country song, but don't do it as if you were a Rolling Stones cover band.

This is by "Stone Sour", whoever that is. Lzzy Hale gamely attempts to equal Merry Clayton's electrifying backing vocals, but falls far short, as does the lead singer. About all you can say as you listen to it is "it sounds like the original, but crappy." Get ready for 4 minutes and 20 seconds of wishing you were listening to the original version instead of this weak-ass imitation:

-k

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you're going to do something completely different-- like Disturbed did above-- you'll just remind people that the original was really great and make them wish they were listening to that instead.

Yeah, the Stone Sour version of Gimme Shelter does make me wish I was listening to the original. I love cover tunes but really do prefer when bands take a song in a new direction or at least make it their own. However, sometimes the sound of a singer or band is so different from the original that just emulating the track comes off pretty fresh and new. Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams, or Joe Cocker's A Little Help From My Friends is a good example of the former and the Pearl Jam cover of Last Kiss the latter. Eddie and the boys really don't do anything different with the track, yet his voice is different enough to make it unique.

My wife calls me a music "snob". But when you play guitar for more than half your life and songs like this have been your influence... it takes a lot to impress :D

Edited by Lerxst

I'm a pretty big punk fan who likes most eras and genres of the movement. I prefer bands that could play and also had something to say, but IMO enough energy and anger can overpower any shortcoming. At the risk of derailing a discussionless thread, what are some of your favourite punk bands and songs?

I'm a pretty big punk fan who likes most eras and genres of the movement. I prefer bands that could play and also had something to say, but IMO enough energy and anger can overpower any shortcoming. At the risk of derailing a discussionless thread, what are some of your favourite punk bands and songs?

Tough to pick a song on the album but Pink Flag by Wire is top shelf stuff. Heralding the birth of commercial punk in the late 70s, it has a sound that is timeless.

See: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/11866-pink-flag-chairs-missing-154/

Video for the entire album:

Edited by cybercoma

Iggy always had a way of putting things....

Tough to pick a song on the album but Pink Flag by Wire is top shelf stuff. Heralding the birth of commercial punk in the late 70s, it has a sound that is timeless.

Wow, 21 tracks. I wasn't aware of Wire and that the post punk movement had already started at that point. Thanks.

Iggy always had a way of putting things....

You've gotta love the godfather. A great performer and he probably had the best abs in punk! :)

GG Allin. You don't get any more punk than that.

I still love this song. I mostly discovered punk reverse chronologically, following artists from the 90's back to their origins. Fugazi, introduced me to Minor Threat, I was listening to Rollins Band before Black Flag, etc.