Presidential Race Results

I am basing this post on the presumptive results, which are not official. I shall preface them by saying I am sickened. If I were not a patriotic American, I'd be heading north.

Need I say more? The country has lost its appetite for work, thrift, achievement and excellence.

One of the conservative commentators on Fox, however, suggested that Obama may be forced to moderate in order to (a) create a place in history; and (B) out of lack of need to pander to his base. I can only hope that she is right. Given the narrowness of his victory and his apparent popular vote loss, he has no mandate. Zero, zip, nada.

As some wise man said, "this too shall pass." From January 20, 1961 - January 20, 1981 we suffered some G-d-awful governance. Yet, we came roaring back to life. As a patriotic American, I can only hope.

Your patriotic American.

JBG

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am basing this post on the presumptive results, which are not official. I shall preface them by saying I am sickened. If I were not a patriotic American, I'd be heading north.

Need I say more? The country has lost its appetite for work, thrift, achievement and excellence.

Disagree. More like it rejected the Republican offering of a party controlled by religious nutjobs.

Disagree. More like it rejected the Republican offering of a party controlled by religious nutjobs.

Romney was hardly an ideologue or a religious nutjob. Did he have to appease them? No question. Is he one? Definitely not.

Romney was hardly an ideologue or a religious nutjob. Did he have to appease them? No question. Is he one? Definitely not.

I agree, he's not. But his party is. And that's a problem. Republican party needs to rethink its position if it expects to win future elections.

I agree, he's not. But his party is. And that's a problem. Republican party needs to rethink its position if it expects to win future elections.

They should hire Harper as a consultant; or Kinsella.

Instead they opt for a party controlled by left wing nut jobs - they are just as nutty as their religious counterparts just without the god stuff (unless you call gaia worship and doom mongering a rellgion).

In one sense I agree. On the other hand, he's a Mormon.

Anyways, we don't know how much Romney would have needed to pander to that nutjob base of his as President, and to work with the nutjobs in Congress.

Instead they opt for a party controlled by left wing nut jobs - they are just as nutty as their religious counterparts just without the god stuff (unless you call gaia worship and doom mongering a rellgion).

Democrats aren't as left or as naive as, say, the NDP. Democrats lean more to the center, maybe a bit left of center at most. Most Democrats are a lot more sane than the increasingly far-right wing Christian fundies that makes up a lot of the GOP base. Both are a bunch of lying murderous sellouts though.

Romney might have done a better job on the economy, who knows. But the GOP, in terms of social issues like gay rights & women's rights, are on the wrong side of history. In 50 years people will be disgraced at some of the GOP's social conservative stances just like people are disgraced with the racism and sexism that existed in the 1950's. Romney lost the race for many reasons but a large part was due to his archaic social stances.

No doubt some in the truther/Tea wing of the Republican party were hoping they could point to the popular vote to undermine the legitimacy of Obama's victory. But President Obama is also winning the popular vote by over 1 million votes at this moment.

In short, "scoreboard".

-k

Governor Romney, Mormon or not, was remarkably successful given the popular vote count and certain demographic margins. For instance, Romney carried seniors despite aggressive plans for Medicare.

This was another urban vs. rural & sub-urban, youth vs. age battle based on county level results (lots more red). But big open counties don't get to vote, only citizens do. And they chose President Obama.

Just moments after the U.S. networks projected an Obama win, the President's Twitter account posted a photo of Michelle Obama embracing her husband, with a simple message: "Four more years".

Within an hour that tweet was being discussed as the most popular tweet of all time, garnering more than 300,000 retweets.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/us-election/barackobama-gets-four-more-years-and-a-twitter-record/article5030654/?service=mobile

No doubt some in the truther/Tea wing of the Republican party were hoping they could point to the popular vote to undermine the legitimacy of Obama's victory. But President Obama is also winning the popular vote by over 1 million votes at this moment.

At the moment (and subject to change of opinion) I hope the Electoral and popular vote winners are the same. I do not want an illegitimate result, or one that could be called illegitimate, even if I detest the result.

Net result: After the expenditure of 2 billion bucks and endless campaigning, the US is right back to the start line: Obama in power and the nation heading into a financial maelstrom. I just bought some U.S. dollars on line while it's still down.

I've read a lot of talk about reforming the Electoral College, in fact Obama was in favour of it, wonder if he still is.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/264347-obama-clinton-backed-reforms-to-electoral-college-after-bush-v-gore

The problem I have with the Electoral College is that it's Winner take all for the entire state. At least with FPTP the result takes into consideration of individual ridings.

Since each Electoral College vote is representative of a congressional seat you could easily have the race run district by district instead of State by State.

Assuming each district that voted for a Republican would have also voted for Romney, that would mean Romney would have won under this scenario. Not saying I want this system because Romney would have won, I'm just saying it would be a better reflection of the different regions of each state and across the nation.