Do some Posters insult with impunity?

Wild Bill

We understand the site is not as moderated as it once was. That alone seemed to have allowed posters (yes including myself) to abuse the rules a little because there was no one holding us accountable.

I just want to point out, in case anyone is reading this, that this is your perception and not any kind of purposeful change by the moderators.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to point out, in case anyone is reading this, that this is your perception and not any kind of purposeful change by the moderators.

Missing the point, this place simply is not moderated as it once was. Greg and Co told us this when Greg found he could not dedicate as much of his time to the site. That's not perception, that is a fact. And with less moderation, people tend to push those boundaries to see how much they can get away with. That is not perception, again this is fact. Sure not all posters will take advantage of that, however I do admit that I myself have tried to push those boundaries.

It's not perception Mike, think of what a class was like when the Teacher left the room for a while. It;s part of the human condition.

Certain posters will invariably jump in with personal attacks, implying you hide a white hood in your bedroom closet, or that you wish to flog gay folks while secretly being a pedophile yourself.
Yup. That is precisely how people try to get around the rules.

The way to deal with forum violations are the same: report it and ignore it.

I see them on 'my profile' under my avatar

Ah! Thanks. To my surprise, I have a warning point! It was when I started a thread with only a link and an exclamation, with no commentary or questions.

Fair enough I suppose. It could be construed as trolling. (?)

I'll remind everyone that I'm basically the only one here whose identity is clearly stated - the rest of you are operating under various aliases. Which means when someone "insults" you, they're insulting your alter ego; not your true identify.

You've reminded me of something, Greg. Why do we have to have aliases anyway? I would have no problem using my real name.

There has been some discussion lately in the MSM about how the anonymity of the Net may be responsible for much of its problems. Cyberbullying is one area. There is probably some psychology that could explain how some people will post the most insulting and profane drivel yet would never do such a thing in real life.

I liken it to the CB radio craze of the 70's, when anyone could buy a radio and hide behind some ridiculous "handle". In no time at all what was designed to be a poor man's radio link became a useless insane mess of buffoonery and all too often, threats and profanity.

I've always believed that if you are going to say something you should be man enough to state your name! Anonymity to me is simply a form of cowardice.

What I have been hearing in the MSM is that there is actually a meme growing here in Canada to make using your real name Law!

What are your thoughts on outlawing aliases here on MLW?

What I have been hearing in the MSM is that there is actually a meme growing here in Canada to make using your real name Law!

What are your thoughts on outlawing aliases here on MLW?

The Canadian government is going to force everyone to be transparent? biggrin.png

Just in case you're actually Vic Toews how about if you go f....

Nah I better be careful - this place is crawling with moderators.

what are your thoughts on outlawing aliases here on MLW?

information will dry up...people will reveal more secrets and offer more truth/honesty if they feel safe...in schools, work or social groupings people are more guarded about expressing their opinions when they can be identified... and for good reason, expressing your true thoughts can you ostracized and persecuted ...

Guest American Woman

You've reminded me of something, Greg. Why do we have to have aliases anyway?

Because there are a lot of nuts out there - and I don't care to give them all access to my real identity.

Why should people post online with their real names when we have 'anonymous government officials' in the news all the time?

However even with just an email address, one can find out a lot about a person. With the amount of information we post online these days, it really is not that hard to find out who someone is.

It may be a surprise to some but that is not my real picture, and Michael Hardner is not my real name. I post this from time to time but people forget. I would be in favour of using our real names here, and it would certainly result in some different behavior. In fact, MLW might be one of the only forums to do that as far as I know.

But, on the other hand, I do think it would be really unpopular.

Posting on this forum with your real name would let people cross-reference between your posts here, any noteworthy Google-able articles about you, your job, your facebook and other social media accounts, etc. This is a forum where people are supposed to discuss their political views freely. And the reality is, a lot of views are "politically incorrect", and people would not necessarily want them associated with their real names where anyone with google can find them. Even for views that aren't non-pc, some of them may not agree with certain people, and potential employers, dates, etc, routinely google one's name. There is a time and place to discuss political issues with people you know in person, and having someone google your name and be able to sift through thousands of posts of your political views would not appeal to most people. Heck, with real names, Canada's human rights tribunal thought police would probably be after half the posters here.

So no thanks.

Edited by Bonam

Maybe not putting the name beside the poster name, but having it available somehow (not directly on Google) I think would mitigate the worst behavior of some.

If the name is there in the database for other posters to see, it can be found. Someone wishing to do so could make an indexable list that google will find. Furthermore, if people can see the name by digging around in the profile, they'll start calling out each other's real names in posts in threads.

I for one would immediately leave the forum and never look back if it instituted a real name policy.

If the name is there in the database for other posters to see, it can be found. Someone wishing to do so could make an indexable list that google will find. Furthermore, if people can see the name by digging around in the profile, they'll start calling out each other's real names in posts in threads.

I for one would immediately leave the forum and never look back if it instituted a real name policy.

I... suppose that could happen. Yes, your response is what I would expect so I don't expect anybody will see anything like this happening here. My thoughts, of course, are my own. I haven't suggested such a thing through any official channels or otherwise to the mods.

Guest American Woman

Maybe not putting the name beside the poster name, but having it available somehow (not directly on Google) I think would mitigate the worst behavior of some.

So does Greg have your real name, since you are a member of the "team?" He and Charles have their names out there - does anyone involved with the board have a clue as to who you really are?

So does Greg have your real name, since you are a member of the "team?" He and Charles have their names out there - does anyone involved with the board have a clue as to who you really are?

Why do you ask ? I mean, I have stated here that I would be willing for all of us to have our real names available somewhere so it's not like I'm against the idea.

Guest American Woman

Why do you ask ? I mean, I have stated here that I would be willing for all of us to have our real names available somewhere so it's not like I'm against the idea.

I asked for the reason stated - you are part of the "team." As such, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect the admin to know who you are.