Do some Posters insult with impunity?

Wild Bill

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
Ok - well I did share that information with them prior to being instated as mod here.

Good to know.

I would share it with you reciprocally too.

Really, now. You don't know who I am?

I used to post under my real name, in the old days, on usenet. I, and others using their real names, insulted people freely, and far more viciously than anyone has seen on this site. Usenet was not moderated and insults and often obscene accusations were flung back and forth rather gleefully and with no sense of restraint. Having real names would solve nothing. It would, however, prove to be an unequal inhibiter as some people, as an example, retired folk, would not need to care so much what others thought of their opinions, while those working for conservative employers (or liberal) would have to consider what they could and could not advocate. Certainly I would have to be far more restrained on certain subjects as I am a federal government employee. I'm also a union activist, and I'm quite certain many of my views would be upsetting to some of my colleagues. rolleyes.gif

I'm also a union activist, and I'm quite certain many of my views would be upsetting to some of my colleagues. rolleyes.gif

That is too bad. I think that democracy depends on people knowing that real people that they know hold validated opinions that differ from theirs. Anonimity is a system of cloaking of sorts. Maybe we could have a single day a year where we're all 100% open and honest. sleep.png

Recall my oft-repeated trickle down theory of decency and honesty, that said, I find Justin Trudeau's most endearing attribute is that he's not afraid to call a piece of shit a piece of shit when they've got it coming. If brutal honesty is all that's on the menu I'll take it over no honesty at all.

You'll have to forgive me but I just came from the Press Complains About Access to Harper thread. As usual I can't help but drag a bit of the deeper threads that so often trail their way through most threads in this forum into this one.

Maybe it's just me but it's like something else I tried or meant to say in one thread is often more relevantly expressed in another.

Lots of people are not afraid to call a piece of shit a piece of shit when they've got it coming. And if you agree they've got it coming, they're brutally honest.

If you don't agree they've got it coming, they're lying arseholes.

I haven't read who JT called a piece of shit, so I can't be sure, but I'd bet I'd come down on the lying arsehole side.

I used to post under my real name, in the old days, on usenet. I, and others using their real names, insulted people freely, and far more viciously than anyone has seen on this site. Usenet was not moderated and insults and often obscene accusations were flung back and forth rather gleefully and with no sense of restraint. Having real names would solve nothing. It would, however, prove to be an unequal inhibiter as some people, as an example, retired folk, would not need to care so much what others thought of their opinions, while those working for conservative employers (or liberal) would have to consider what they could and could not advocate. Certainly I would have to be far more restrained on certain subjects as I am a federal government employee. I'm also a union activist, and I'm quite certain many of my views would be upsetting to some of my colleagues. rolleyes.gif

The difference is that back in the usenet days a fairly exclusive group of people were using those technologies. I remember bulletin board systems, most people have no idea what they are now. Today, nearly everyone uses the internet, so it's a far different ballgame imo.

I haven't read who JT called a piece of shit, so I can't be sure, but I'd bet I'd come down on the lying arsehole side.

I'm pretty sure you would too, no matter whatsoever he might do to deserve it.

JT to his credit did apologize for pointing out the state Peter Kent was in.

I too originally used only my real name on all online sites. Things are just different now. Lately I've been moving away from that. Even on some of the boards that I've been a part of since "the beginning" , I've been changing my user info. There's no chance I'd ever join a new board using either my real name or my real contact info. A board the requires this is deliberately trying to limit how many people join.

My real name is Nicholas Joshua Sylvio Ferdinando (AKA Nick J) "Teddy" Boragina

I give this to you freely.

But if you tell me I can not remain here; that I'm forced to give it to you? I will leave this forum despite the fact that I've just given it out for free. That is too much commitment to a political forum. In addition, such a policy would only encourage cyberstalking and starte rangewars involving other websites and forums. You would effectively be seeing up other political forums for trollflame battles because of a stupid policy implemented here.

I would never give my real name on a forum. It's too easy to upset the wrong kind of people. Why, only today I got a warning point for some innocuous comment I made in this very thread. God only knows what would happen if they knew where I lived!

Edited by bcsapper

At least the racists are out in the open where they can be seen and avoided/ignored.

And I have openly told some posters here that they deserved to be reported,and done so many times!

Not only that,the report feature is an anonymous one for good reason.

WWWTT

I wouldn't want my name posted because I wouldn't want people connecting me with my job. Not that I think I've ever posted anything that would compromise my work, but it's more interesting having discussions with people when they don't know what I do for a living.

If you were a politician,you would never be on a site like this if you had to post your real name!

WWWTT

I would never give my real name on a forum. It's too easy to upset the wrong kind of people.

Several years ago on a conspiracy theory type forum in a thread that had got pretty unfriendly (to say the least) on a topic concerning public health, a poster managed to track down my personal information (name, address, phone number, place of work etc) and posted it. I have to say that it left me pretty uncomfortable. A couple posters 100% believed that the government was trying to wipe out much of the world's population through a couple public health measures, and I fully understood that to them I represented pure evil (I don't work in public health, but clearly must be bought off by the government). It wasn't a case of people disagreeing on the internet. It was a case of some people believing that the government was absolutely trying to kill them and their family, and to them I was a willing spokesperson for that impending slaughter.

Even though nothing happened there (I had actually left that employer and moved a couple months before), I am still not a fan of people's names being required. It puts certain people at a disadvantage. Some people have names that are incredibly common; others have names that are pretty uncommon. I have also once been the subject of national media attention and (despite the attention being positive) found it pretty disconcerting.

If you were a politician,you would never be on a site like this if you had to post your real name!

WWWTT

What if you were a politician someday in the future? Are you so certain your identity here would be safe and remain anonymous - would you ever sleep well at night wondering what you might face next morning?

I guess anything is possible?

However,I beleive only a couple of people can have access to such info?

Either way,if someone tryied to smear someone else,I believe it would be a first for using info from an internet forum.

WWWTT

First let me say, I try NOT to insult anyone on here and as you can see I've had 10 warnings, why? It wasn't for insulting people here but insulting a political party, members, etc. The last time I had a force vacation from this forum was when Greg didn't like my CRAP-conservative-reform-alliance-party. Sometimes its hard not to be rude to the PMO especially after one watching them in the House. Its like driving on the 400 series highway and then getting off but still driving at a 100. Perhaps its also since we are human, we have our bad days.

First let me say, I try NOT to insult anyone on here and as you can see I've had 10 warnings.....

Well shucks, I am very impressed...TEN warnings for you? I have TEN warnings as well, mostly for playing with my food before I kill it.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• 2 weeks later...

First let me say, I try NOT to insult anyone on here and as you can see I've had 10 warnings, why? It wasn't for insulting people here but insulting a political party, members, etc. The last time I had a force vacation from this forum was when Greg didn't like my CRAP-conservative-reform-alliance-party. Sometimes its hard not to be rude to the PMO especially after one watching them in the House. Its like driving on the 400 series highway and then getting off but still driving at a 100. Perhaps its also since we are human, we have our bad days.

You've had 10 warnings? When do we get banned? Just curious....it's not saying that I want to see you banned, no.

Edited by betsy

Guys, the warnings are just a way of keeping track any time the moderators communicate with you. The amount of warnings does not necessarily relate to bannings or suspensions. Those are always handled on a case-by-case basis. At least that's what it appears like. Besides that's the only fair way to handle it.

Edited by cybercoma