On April 1, Canadian MPs will earn world's second-highest salary for elected officials. Trudeau gets bump to

MPs will get an $8,500 raise on April 1, increasing the base salary to $203,100, ranking only behind the U.S. in political salaries

The prime minister’s salary will see an increase of $17,000 to $406,200.

Then they get living allowances, comittee fees, ministers get more than the base rate, expense accounts etc etc.

And justin's pension will be based on the higher rate.

Wonder why he didn't call an eleciton

Bloated and overpaid political class, detached from the reality of everyday Canadians.

Their pay bump on April 1 is far greater than what they’ll be paying in carbon taxes, a cruel April fool’s joke on Canadians.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Bloated and overpaid political class, detached from the reality of everyday Canadians.

Their pay bump on April 1 is far greater than what they’ll be paying in carbon taxes, a cruel April fool’s joke on Canadians.

well they HAD to have a raise - Freeland already had to cancel disney plus, how much lower can she be expected to let her quality of life slip?

4 hours ago, CdnFox said:

well they HAD to have a raise - Freeland already had to cancel disney plus, how much lower can she be expected to let her quality of life slip?

It’s true.  Maybe on the next trip to Davos she’ll fly business class instead of private jet….Nah, they serve better caviar on private.  I mean, what’s an extra grand at the public’s expense?  

7 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s true.  Maybe on the next trip to Davos she’ll fly business class instead of private jet….Nah, they serve better caviar on private.  I mean, what’s an extra grand at the public’s expense?  

There's like 40 million canadians - you think they all wouldn't be willing to chip in a measely dollar so that she can go in style (personal jet - private back up jet for the personal jet becasue it's serviced by the Military she doesn't fund, top floor of the hotel, etc)

I mean wouldn't we all give up a dollar so she can have a few entitlements that she's entitled to? I mean,  you were just going to waste it on beer and popcorn anyway.

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

There's like 40 million canadians - you think they all wouldn't be willing to chip in a measely dollar so that she can go in style (personal jet - private back up jet for the personal jet becasue it's serviced by the Military she doesn't fund, top floor of the hotel, etc)

I mean wouldn't we all give up a dollar so she can have a few entitlements that she's entitled to? I mean,  you were just going to waste it on beer and popcorn anyway.

True, and it’s fine for her to cause as much greenhouse gas emission in that trip than I do in a few months because she’s so smart and knows what’s good for me. When I create greenhouse gas emissions, I’m being selfish. When she does it, she’s saving the planet, well making other people save the planet, which is good.  I’m all for paying lots of taxes to pay for theories about what might save the planet, and the people who have these theories and impose these rules shouldn’t have to play by them.  Anyway they make a lot more money than most people and aren’t impacted by these rules, which is good because our masters are such good people.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

True, and it’s fine for her to cause as much greenhouse gas emission in that trip than I do in a few months because she’s so smart and knows what’s good for me. When I create greenhouse gas emissions, I’m being selfish. When she does it, she’s saving the planet, well making other people save the planet, which is good.  I’m all for paying lots of taxes to pay for theories about what might save the planet, and the people who have these theories and impose these rules shouldn’t have to play by them.  Anyway they make a lot more money than most people and aren’t impacted by these rules, which is good because our masters are such good people.

You create greenhouse gases for selfish reasons like trying to work enough to feed your wife and children for no better reason than you care about them.  Like one lousy family makes a difference  - she's doing it to save the WHOLE WORLD for god's sake man!!!!  Get some perspective!!! Don't you feel bad about your greed now?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

You create greenhouse gases for selfish reasons like trying to work enough to feed your wife and children for no better reason than you care about them.  Like one lousy family makes a difference  - she's doing it to save the WHOLE WORLD for god's sake man!!!!  Get some perspective!!! Don't you feel bad about your greed now?

It’s true, yet greenhouse gas emissions keep going up.  Of course it’s got nothing to do with the immigration of a million people in one year.  That’s carbon neutral.  Our government is so smart.

• Like 1

The unelected Senate is loaded with people who were appointed there because they are loyal liberals that have the right glow.  They get big salaries, and extremely generous pensions at the expense of the taxpayers who have no vote or say in them getting their positions.  The system is dysfunctional from the top down.

What does it matter what they get paid, they could have raised it to double or triple that and most Canadians would have just shrugged their shoulders...oh well...

Our politicians are above the law, and they are all out of touch with the voters...i would be all for paying some that kind of money if they had some leadership abilities...which for some reason here in Canada is almost as rare as blue moon, or the leafs winning the cup... It kind of cements the idea that this country is all about individuals, give me, give me...those days of what can i do for my nation is long gone...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Our politicians are above the law, and they are all out of touch with the voters...i would be all for paying some that kind of money if they had some leadership abilities...which for some reason here in Canada is almost as rare as blue moon, or the leafs winning the cup... It kind of cements the idea that this country is all about individuals, give me, give me...those days of what can i do for my nation is long gone...

We get the gov'ts we vote for.  And the gov'ts we get are largely a product of what ontario likes to see, and they like to see corruption and prefer soundbytes to substance and will defend the actions of their favorite to the death.

Just look around here -  how many "gosh i'm not a liberal" liberals spend all their time desperately defending the liberals or trying to claim that somehow in some fashion they can't actually articulate Harper was worse.

So we get bad gov'ts.  When people refuse to vote for bad gov'ts any more then the political parties will work to give us good gov'ts.   But as long as we vote for crap ,crap is what we'll get.

Our MP gets paid big bucks for doing what?  Photo ops.  He doesn't bother answering Email that he doesn't like, yet will get the golden handshake with a bag of gold for the rest of his life.  Thought he was representing his constituents, yet he doesn't even answer an Email on the question of rampant soft-on-crime and repeat offenders being released.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blackbird said:

Our MP gets paid big bucks for doing what?

Yep. Everything is decided by the Central Committee. They are playing extras in the great daily serial and the pay seems to be good! Why wouldn't you Joe be a "representative", like us? Everyone has an opportunity here!

9 minutes ago, myata said:

Pigs running their trough. What could go wrong?!

Well you could vote liberal again :)  Hopefully you've learned your lesson and will vote to remove the current corrupt gov't and try something different for a change.  If not - guess who's to blame for this mess.

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Hopefully you've learned your lesson and will vote to remove the current corrupt gov't and try something different for a change.  If not - guess who's to blame for this mess.

You are a smiley-faced optimist. These people have reached a precipice and there is only one way left to go. They see the problem (who don't?) yet still put 'faith' in the lies of convenience. 

After all, these are the "good guys" (by their own words, so must be true!) who shall lead us to the new futurism. (Where's my carrot?)

That's why, despite all problems and despite the terrible smell, will still vote for keeping Turdeau (just plug your nose!) and it will be a close race. 

Yes indeed, the next election will underscore that millions of dipshits shall continue with the herd, willingly take us over the cliff. 

The batard (no, not the football-shaped loaf!) has got a ton of money and the whole mass-media engine behind him, as well as international support from globalists, China, and wealthy super-elites to prop him up. The same dumbfounded dipshits who swallowed the covid narrative, 911, manufactured wars and post-national states shall vote for him again.

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

You are a smiley-faced optimist.

That is both true and hurtful. :)  Thanks owtch. 

These people have reached a precipice and there is only one way left to go. They see the problem (who don't?) yet still put 'faith' in the lies of convenience. 

After all, these are the "good guys" (by their own words, so must be true!) who shall lead us to the new futurism. (Where's my carrot?)

That's why, despite all problems and despite the terrible smell, will still vote for keeping Turdeau (just plug your nose!) and it will be a close race. 

Yes indeed, the next election will underscore that millions of dipshits shall continue with the herd, willingly take us over the cliff. 

The batard (no, not the football-shaped loaf!) has got a ton of money and the whole mass-media engine behind him, as well as international support from globalists, China, and wealthy super-elites to prop him up. The same dumbfounded dipshits who swallowed the covid narrative, 911, manufactured wars and post-national states shall vote for him again.

You're not wrong with any of that and that is how we got here. 

Only the left can watch their policy fail SO miserably and demand it's because they didn't fail hard enough.  "Gun control didn't affect crime, but it will if we do MOAR!!"  " Carbon tax hasn't done a single thing to stop climate change but it will if we do MOAR!!".  "Immigration has fueled inflation but that'll stop if we do MOAR!!!"

Normal people say "hmmm  stabbing myself in the leg with  a fork hurts, i should stop". The left decides it'll be fine if they just use a hammer to pound it in.

BUT - right now they're starving and homeless and i've found that when the consequences of their actions catch up with them and life puts a gun to their heads they stop and rethink things. and that's what i'm hoping will happen this time.

21 hours ago, CdnFox said:

We get the gov'ts we vote for.  And the gov'ts we get are largely a product of what ontario likes to see, and they like to see corruption and prefer soundbytes to substance and will defend the actions of their favorite to the death.

Just look around here -  how many "gosh i'm not a liberal" liberals spend all their time desperately defending the liberals or trying to claim that somehow in some fashion they can't actually articulate Harper was worse.

So we get bad gov'ts.  When people refuse to vote for bad gov'ts any more then the political parties will work to give us good gov'ts.   But as long as we vote for crap ,crap is what we'll get.

True enough, but we have been lax in the standards in which we hold our politicians, in fact most Canadians seem to just except whatever they put in place thinking there is nothing they can do to influence another outcome....we the people are complacent. Not to mention who we are willing to accept as politicians... we base most of our vote on what they are willing to promise us when they get elected, which 99.99 % of it is bullshit, or does not survive a reality check......how many voters look at previous work practices, track records etc...So yes i guess your right we get what we get...becasue we are to lazy to do any of the work.

To be honest thats their team, and they will do what is needed to defend it...Liberals do not have the same morals or values as other Canadians. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

True enough, but we have been lax in the standards in which we hold our politicians, in fact most Canadians seem to just except whatever they put in place thinking there is nothing they can do to influence another outcome....we the people are complacent. Not to mention who we are willing to accept as politicians... we base most of our vote on what they are willing to promise us when they get elected, which 99.99 % of it is bullshit, or does not survive a reality check......how many voters look at previous work practices, track records etc...So yes i guess your right we get what we get...becasue we are to lazy to do any of the work.

To be honest thats their team, and they will do what is needed to defend it...Liberals do not have the same morals or values as other Canadians. 

It's totally reasonable to have empathy to people who have been scammed financially by con men. The thing is, if the same people get conned over and over again, the onus is also on the victim. It is totally reasonable that after a few times of getting robbed, that we lose the empathy for the victims.

This is what is happening with the Canadian population at large.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 12:12 PM, Army Guy said:

Not to mention who we are willing to accept as politicians... we base most of our vote on what they are willing to promise us when they get elected, which 99.99 % of it is bullshit,

It's not the individuals. It's way easier than that: it's the system. If you put 100 people, fittest and intelligent around a free table with a lot of free stuff, day after day the majority, then all begin to gobble, then non stop and no limits. This is just natural. Try the experiment with any animal.

You cannot seriously run a system with physically, a) zero independence and b) zero accountability for the results. Figureheads have zero independence. Courts aren't independent. Institutions cannot perform their entrusted duties because "they aren't sure" what they can and cannot do. The answer is obvious from the outset and no need even to try. It had to happen and so it is happening.

This is what's next:

1. The system is on the collision course with the reality of the country.

2. It cannot modernize itself in any meaningful way and even if could, it has no desire to (pigs modernizing their bottomless trough, why?).

3. The quality of the decisions it produces will diminish, progressively because of growing disconnection and entitlement.

4. While the environment, external and internal is becoming more volatile and challenging.

The conclusion? It's obvious: stagnation, crisis and a hard reset, at some point as the only logical possibility.

Edited by myata

Every April 1st we complain about the MP and politicians getting a pay raise but so does every public servant.

Nothing new or astounding here, it is every year and has been every year.

"MPs give themselves pay raises each year on April 1, based on the average annual increase in union contracts with corporations that have more than 500 employees."   

https://www.taxpayer.com/newsroom/mp-pay-to-increase-between-8,000-and-16,000-in-2024