F U Bell: CTV News Vancouver GONE

6 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Would he? Churchill was an advocate for some major social changes in the UK.

the ultra conservative died in the wool British Imperialist Churchill

never advocated for the sort of totalitarian collectivist lunacy which has overrun this Confederation

quite sure Winston Churchill would have all these traitors hung from the nearest Yardarm

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Edited by Dougie93
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

the ultra conservative died in the wool British Imperialist Churchill

never advocated for the sort of totalitarian collectivist lunacy which has overrun this Confederation

quite sure Winston Churchill would have all these traitors hung from the nearest Yardarm

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Really?

https://standtogethertrust.org/stories/winston-churchill-prisoners-friend/

49 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Sorry, in a bad mood and your indecisive and constant deflection rubbed me the wrong way.

Oh, and you still cannot answer the question.

By the way, don't think I'm rubbing you in any way possible. That's kind of erotic in a way it shouldn't be.

Joke aside, it's all fun and games, it's a forum.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

It's possible to imagine one in the same way it's possible to imagine unicorns and santa but in reality... no.

So, if you think that the possibility of a centrist media that strives for mainstream audience is nil, why is that?  There was ostensibly such a thing for almost the entire 20th century.

Of course Chomsky and others would disagree, but we're taking about the general public using and trusting media.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, just wondering what changed here.

Also I should point out that CTV was started by Conservative sponsors as a response to CBC.

• Like 1

Less than 10% of the 4800 job losses will be with Bell Media. The vast majority of the layoffs will be in the telecom sector specifically targeting old, outdated, and costly to maintain legacy phone systems. I can't say I blame Bell (which is owned by shareholders), but it must have been a huge gut punch for a lot of those who lost their jobs and didn't see it coming. It's a sad day for all of us when these types of things happen.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Winston Churchill would of course assert that all of Canada's institutions, public & private, have been overrun

by Marxist-Leninist Bolshevik traitors

thus the inevitable counterrevolution will not be televised

the treasonous government & corporate elites will simply be dragged out of their ivory towers, without warning

by a desperate population enraged at the total collapse of their civilization in progress

sic semper tyrannis

For someone who's ostensibly AGAINST Marxism, you write more like one than anyone here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yeah, they should get the same mercy that the rest of the outlaws get...

no

mere outlaws will receive mercy

I would not have executed the Fenians for the Easter Rising

that was a catastrophic mistake

but when it comes to Marxist Leninist Bolsheviks

it becomes a total war for national survival in the face of totalitarianism incarnate

at which point, the gloves come off

up to and including the use of thermonuclear weapons as necessary

Parati Vero Parati

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yeah, they should get the same mercy that the rest of the outlaws get...

No such thing as an outlaw.

Outlaws to one group, heroes to another.

22 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

no

mere outlaws will receive mercy

I would not have executed the Fenians for the Easter Rising

that was a catastrophic mistake

but when it comes to Marxist Leninist Bolsheviks

it becomes a total war for national survival in the face of totalitarianism incarnate

at which point, the gloves come off

up to and including the use of thermonuclear weapons as necessary

Parati Vero Parati

Okay got it. Just sit there by your landline and listen to your AM radio until we call you okay?

20 minutes ago, Legato said:

No such thing as an outlaw.

Outlaws to one group, heroes to another.

I imagine you are the kind of guy who calls the bylaw officer when a Labradoodle poops on your lawn.

Labradoodle hero, that is...

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I imagine you are the kind of guy who calls the bylaw officer when a Labradoodle poops on your lawn.

and one has what to do with the other.

17 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Okay got it. Just sit there by your landline and listen to your AM radio until we call you okay?

He is the kind of guy who's life ended the day they kicked him out of his play army. Since then he sits in a dark and dungy basement and searches fr useless videos to make himself feel good about his pitiful military time LOL

58 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

So, if you think that the possibility of a centrist media that strives for mainstream audience is nil, why is that?  There was ostensibly such a thing for almost the entire 20th century.

There was never any such thing.  Mark twain wrote 'if you don't read the paper you're uninformed, if you do read the paper you're misinformed", and that was about 130 years ago.

And the reasons are plentiful and complex, but bottom line is that sensationalism sells.  And the more polarized the people become the more the media wants to cater to that and the cycle continues.

Of course Chomsky and others would disagree, but we're taking about the general public using and trusting media.

There is no such thing.  You believe there was because you happened to read papers you agreed with and thought 'this is fair and honest' but it probably wasn't, the only difference is the extremity.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, just wondering what changed here.

Nothing really changed other than the intensity of the bias and you're noticing now. You'll hear it more from the western provinces in many cases because they 're just starting to get decent population numbers and their votes are starting to matter. Lets face it - western canada in 1972  was a tiebreaker at best. Now - it's hard to get a majority without very strong support in the west.

So the 'audience' is changing a bit. And we 'tolerate' it more. But - the bias never really did 'change' substantially, it just ebbs and flows with the audience.

Also I should point out that CTV was started by Conservative sponsors as a response to CBC.

Sure.  Back in the day the Vancouver province was the right wing rag and the sun was the leftie leaning publication.  But - times change.  That's the free market.

Now - media outlets are struggling to adapt to the new reality and we may see more changes. 

But one only has to look to the states to see how polarized the media is becoming.  And it's the same here.

53 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

There was never any such thing.  Mark twain wrote 'if you don't read the paper you're uninformed, if you do read the paper you're misinformed", and that was about 130 years ago.

And the reasons are plentiful and complex, but bottom line is that sensationalism sells.  And the more polarized the people become the more the media wants to cater to that and the cycle continues.

There is no such thing.  You believe there was because you happened to read papers you agreed with and thought 'this is fair and honest' but it probably wasn't, the only difference is the extremity.

Nothing really changed other than the intensity of the bias and you're noticing now. You'll hear it more from the western provinces in many cases because they 're just starting to get decent population numbers and their votes are starting to matter. Lets face it - western canada in 1972  was a tiebreaker at best. Now - it's hard to get a majority without very strong support in the west.

So the 'audience' is changing a bit. And we 'tolerate' it more. But - the bias never really did 'change' substantially, it just ebbs and flows with the audience.

Sure.  Back in the day the Vancouver province was the right wing rag and the sun was the leftie leaning publication.  But - times change.  That's the free market.

Now - media outlets are struggling to adapt to the new reality and we may see more changes. 

But one only has to look to the states to see how polarized the media is becoming.  And it's the same here.

Between the time of Twain and the era of cable news, a lot happened.

Some of what you're saying here is contradictory: people are becoming more polarized, there was never any such thing as trusted sources, intensity of the bias is different, times change... etc.

I think you're just being difficult, and trying to disagree with me but that's fine.

In the long term, we will need to establish a common ground and a public square again.  I believe that.

And I don't have the answer either.

Slave news, for the slave classes. My recollection of CTV is they shit-canned Lisa Laflamme when she let her hair go grey. She was not hot enough for the neo-woke self indulgents who spew wokism out of their mouths, and misogyny-bigotry out their arses. Now let them die on their (short) swords.

Oh well little herbie, you gotta look somewhere else now for your night-cap. Try Gloe-Bull. 🤷‍♂️

32 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Slave news, for the slave classes. My recollection of CTV is they shit-canned Lisa Laflamme when she let her hair go grey. She was not hot enough for the neo-woke self indulgents who spew wokism out of their mouths, and misogyny-bigotry out their arses. Now let them die on their (short) swords.

1. Yeah, that was what people thought at the time.  But the REAL wokeness was that that was the story.  They let go of two other high paid folks at the exact same time (both were men) but for some mystifying reason, people can't believe that corporations sometimes try to cut costs..

5 hours ago, Aristides said:

Just another entertainment network that doesn't contribute much of anything to society.

At last one intelligent response that even relates to the subject.

Churchill, Marxism, as per usual no one can reply to the subject. The fire downtown, the murder in Surrey, the car crash on the Ironworlkers bridge, if it's gonna rain overnight so roll up your windows or if tomorrow's a snow day, who won the game -all leftist communist biased MSM lies. So say the brain dead.

I do know one woman who doesn't watch the news because it's 'too biased'. Still hot as hell in her fifties but dumber than most teenagers. She has an app on her computer screen that tells her the current weather even though there's a window behind he monitor.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Between the time of Twain and the era of cable news, a lot happened.

What kind of limp noodle cheezy nonsense reply is that?  I'll counter that with "in the beginning the universe was created.... "  and follow it up with 'a rolling stone gathers no moss" for the win.

Some of what you're saying here is contradictory: people are becoming more polarized, there was never any such thing as trusted sources, intensity of the bias is different, times change... etc.

Those are 100 percent compatible. There has never been unbiased trustworth news - people are more polarized - the intensity of the bias reacts to that.  Where's the contradiction.  I'm not going to have to take away your word of the day calendar again am i? :)

I think you're just being difficult, and trying to disagree with me but that's fine.

There is nothing difficult about this.

Media has always been bias. From before twain - all the way through to today. If you happen to 'lean' the same way as the news source you're following you don't see it, but as time goes on people tend to be more polarized and the media plays to that to sell papers if ou will. 

and In the long term, we will need to establish a common ground and a public square again.  I believe that.

You're typing in it. Which isn't great news i realize :)  

And I don't have the answer either.

Nor do I - other than to train people to be skeptical of all information unless it's corroborated through an acceptable process such as providing the raw data or studies, or direct quotes etc etc.  And even then.

Look at how many times in the last few years we've seen the media push a story hard only to find out it's 100 percent bull. Like the hunter biden laptop, the "incriminating email' for smith,  the source of covid being wuhan,  etc etc.  We're talking 180 degree reversals after a critical event by the media. 

Trust in god but tie up your camel and question everything.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

They often can't tell you what that means.

They often can. I can if you like :)