F U Bell: CTV News Vancouver GONE

3 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

What kind of limp noodle cheezy nonsense reply is that?  I'll counter that with "in the beginning the universe was created.... "  and follow it up with 'a rolling stone gathers no moss" for the win.

:)

I think we're in agreement that you have nothing to learn from me on this topic.

Just now, herbie said:

Plenty of proof of that right here in this thread.

(prepare for usual gish gallopper within 30 seconds)

Everything is the same as ever.  Also things are getting more polarized.

Market forces.

Blrblbmbl...

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

I think we're in agreement that you have nothing to learn from me on this topic.

Sigh. I doubt anyone does.

but sure - media bias isn't a thing, it never changes and it appeared out of nowhere and did not exist betwen the 1900's and five minutes ago. That makes sense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Local...local...local. It is local news that is losing.

Still cannot answer the question but, I am not surprised coming from the complainer with no solutions.

The whining is all from you....all the time. Boo Hoo sucks to be you LOL

You make my point  . . .  dry your tears, get over yourself, and carry on.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Everything is the same as ever.  Also things are getting more polarized.

Market forces.

Blrblbmbl...

ROFLMAO - Simple concepts, simple english - it doesn't suit your echo chamber so you wind up blubbering like an !diot trying to understand something anyone in grade 3 or older would get. I don't know why i bother with you dishonest lefties in the first place.

• Like 1

WTF???

They announced cuts at CTV one night and that only Toronto & Montreal would be kept and the very next night the Vancouver news at 11:30 was gone, replaced by Seinfeld reruns.

Tonight it's back!

And Global switched since last I tuned in their news, local first, National at 11:30....

WTF?

3 hours ago, herbie said:

WTF???

They announced cuts at CTV one night and that only Toronto & Montreal would be kept and the very next night the Vancouver news at 11:30 was gone, replaced by Seinfeld reruns.

Tonight it's back!

And Global switched since last I tuned in their news, local first, National at 11:30....

WTF?

They've likely fired, or lost, their planners too.  The layoffs were large right?

The machine is breaking..

This happened to a degree when newspapers were challenged by television in the 1960s and 70s.  Anyone here remember the Toronto Telegram?

Those if you baffled by this, or in denial, can go read Neil Postman.  We will soon be living in the media space of the late 19th century all over again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

You make my point  . . .  dry your tears, get over yourself, and carry on.

Look, I read your posts for pure entertainment only and to find out what you are whining about today.

You must be the saddest person ever. There is nothing that comes from you that is not a complaint or whine or disagreement.

So sad but hey, we need losers like you LOL

11 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Look, I read your posts for pure entertainment only and to find out what you are whining about today.

You must be the saddest person ever. There is nothing that comes from you that is not a complaint or whine or disagreement.

So sad but hey, we need losers like you LOL

Again, you make my point . . . . dry your tears crybaby, CBC will soon be cut down to size and you'll have to find an alternate news source from the many available.  Carry on crybaby . . . 

32 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Again, you make my point . . . . dry your tears crybaby, CBC will soon be cut down to size and you'll have to find an alternate news source from the many available.  Carry on crybaby . . . 

Boo Hoo, sucks to be you.

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

If we don't subsidize our information services, our enemies will.

I am not in agreement with that.

Subsidizing our information services is tantamount to propaganda.

The subsidized information services are beholding to their care givers. If advertising is their income source, it is OK to bow to them but, if government is their incomes source, it is is whatever everyone believes CBC is, an arm of government.

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

1. Subsidizing our information services is tantamount to propaganda.The subsidized information services are beholding to their care givers. If advertising is their income source, it is OK to bow to them but, if government is their incomes source, it is is whatever everyone believes CBC is, an arm of government.

1. Arm's length funding is the best you can do, supplemented by competing views.  

Still better than foreign interference.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

I am not in agreement with that.

Subsidizing our information services is tantamount to propaganda.

The subsidized information services are beholding to their care givers. If advertising is their income source, it is OK to bow to them but, if government is their incomes source, it is is whatever everyone believes CBC is, an arm of government.

So who will we end up relying on for news. Al Jazeera, RT, BBC? Is depending on the Rupert Murdochs of the world more preferable to government supported news sources? Would the CBC or BBC hire someone like Tucker Carlson or all the other bottom feeders at FOX?

2 minutes ago, Aristides said:

So who will we end up relying on for news. Al Jazeera, RT, BBC? Is depending on the Rupert Murdochs of the world more preferable to government supported news sources? Would the CBC or BBC hire someone like Tucker Carlson or all the other bottom feeders at FOX?

That is my concern.

Even with being subsidized, CTV still took to cutting most of it's local news and much of its national news.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Arm's length funding is the best you can do, supplemented by competing views.  

Still better than foreign interference?

We are now bombarded by ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN, PBS and that is just on cable. Not even considering any that are streaming or websites.

My concern is basically local news. With these cuts, there is no local news,

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Still better than foreign interference?

We are now bombarded by ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN, PBS and that is just on cable. Not even considering any that are streaming or websites.

My concern is basically local news. With these cuts, there is no local news,

Imagine if we only got our news from the ABC NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN and PBS.  What would they say about, for example, a proposed water treaty between Canada and the US?

We wouldn't have a national network covering it from the Canadian side.

Local news is also a concern, however, I have seen Facebook and Twitter local news pages pop up and they seem to be seeds of something greater.

Edited by Michael Hardner

13 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Imagine if we only got our news from the ABC NBC, CBS, Fox, CNN and PBS.  What would they say about, for example, a proposed water treaty between Canada and the US?

We wouldn't have a national network covering it from the Canadian side.

Local news is also a concern, however, I have seen Facebook and Twitter local news pages pop up and they seem to be seeds of something greater.

As the topic says "Vancouver" CTV news is gone. What remains there is CBC and Global. In Ottawa local stays but I think only because it is the Capital. Montreal stays because it is in Quebec and you cannot cut anything in Quebec and Toronto stays because it is the centre of the Canadian universe.

You are correct, we will not have a "Canadian" side of the story. No one believes CBC is a valid source and Global is, well,  not "global. So, there we are. No news is good news or???

My biggest concern is local news everywhere. Facebook pages of local news will not pop up as Facebook did not sign the deal with Canada.

Using Twitter (X) and Facebook and other social media as news sources is why there is do much discord and argument on this forum alone but elsewhere too.

Edited by ExFlyer

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Then don't do it at all. It is not possible for 'arms length funding' unless the funding is built into the constitution or the like.  The moment the gov't has control over the funding then the issue becomes 'which party should we support that will give us MOAR funding".

No matter where the source of funding comes from the media will be bias in favour of it. When that source is the subscribers and advertisers then sure the stories are goign to pander to them but they're the ones directly paying for it and consuming it so no foul.  But when gov'ts are the 'customer' - that's a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

That is my concern.

Even with being subsidized, CTV still took to cutting most of it's local news and much of its national news.

Are you're concerned these media developments will compromise the reportage the public gets about our government's business? Why would that concern you if you don't think the public has any right to know? 

53 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Are you're concerned these media developments will compromise the reportage the public gets about our government's business? Why would that concern you if you don't think the public has any right to know? 

Huh??

What are you trying to say?

If you read my responses correctly,you would see I am not in favour of government subsidy.

Your difficulty with reading comprehension can be corrected LOL

45 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

If you read my responses correctly,you would see I am not in favour of government subsidy.

Sure, but is it because you have little to no regard for a 4th Estate, never mind one that's funded by the 3rd Estate?

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

You are correct, we will not have a "Canadian" side of the story. No one believes CBC is a valid source and Global is, well,  not "global. So, there we are. No news is good news or???

My biggest concern is local news everywhere. Facebook pages of local news will not pop up as Facebook did not sign the deal with Canada.

Using Twitter (X) and Facebook and other social media as news sources is why there is do much discord and argument on this forum alone but elsewhere too.

First of all, we need to be clear in our communication here, and not overstate things.  Some people believe that the CBC is a valid source.

More specifically, this is about CTV and my point is about a larger media landscape in Canada.

I haven't seen local news run by trolls, I don't think it would work.

26 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

First of all, we need to be clear in our communication here, and not overstate things.  Some people believe that the CBC is a valid source.

I"m sure there are some but i think most people realize they frequently don't tell the truth.

But - the proof will be in the pudding. If people REALLY feel that the cbc is valuable and they support it, then when the gov't defunds it they can pony up their own cash to keep it going. PP's never said he'd shut it down, just defund it.

So if Canadians feel it's valuable they can pull out thier wallets and save it, no problem!