F U Bell: CTV News Vancouver GONE

So bah-ding Bell drops CTV News Vancouver and BC loses all it's relevant content. As did many other cities and the provinces they're in.
Been  a follower of CTV since it came on the air in 1962? 1963? and used to go to the studios for rassling and kid's game contests all thru my youth.
Disgusted! And will be intentionally avoiding any service Bell provides from now on. As well as a boot in the arse for anyone proposing cuts to CBC so we all can lose any local content.

Edited by herbie
  • Like 1

• herbie changed the title to F U Bell: CTV News Vancouver GONE
11 minutes ago, herbie said:

Disgusted! And will be intentionally avoiding any service Bell provides from now on. As well as a boot in the arse for anyone proposing cuts to CBC so we all can lose any local content.

CTV was pretty woke garbage and as they say - get woke go broke.  Their bias isn't profitable. I totally get why YOU, our resident commie, loved them :)

And the cbc is toast next October.  Sorry you'll lose your 'local misinformation content'. 

9 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

CBC's best days are behind them.  It's propaganda junque radio now. 

Maybe but ... your Canadian alternative on TV and radio s what??

Some obscure online website??

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Now I understand all your garbage takes.

CTV is incredibly biased and unreliable.

And yet the question remains unanswered.

Winston Churchill said

"Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried"

So find us another medium...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

CBC is the obscure  overfunded propaganda arm of the federal Liberals. It may be your choice for 'news' but, thankfully more Canadians want it downsized/disbanded now . . . . 

Yet the Liberals have cut it more than the Conservatives.

Do you think that newspapers are overfunded ? 

CTV is funded least of all, which may explain the cuts.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

CBC is the obscure  overfunded propaganda arm of the federal Liberals. It may be your choice for 'news' but, thankfully more Canadians want it downsized/disbanded now . . . . 

You did not answer the question...

"your Canadian alternative on TV and radio is what??

Some obscure online website??"

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1

Not much difference between CTV and CBC;  so if a few stations disappear it's no great loss.

Private enterprise has to do what is economical and profitable, not what pleases Trudeau and the Liberals.  Government meddling and intervention in private enterprise is one reason why the Canadian economy is such a mess.  Trudeau should keep his mouth closed for a change.  He is not a Bell or CTV shareholder.  He is a wealthy elite politician who can't help but pontificate about the bad corporations, sort of like Singh and the NDP.

Edited by blackbird

6 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Not much difference between CTV and CBC;  so if a few stations disappear it's no great loss.

I'll invoke slippery slope... based on what we're seeing national newspaper, television and radio seems to be at risk of disappearing altogether.  

Is that a great loss ?

• Like 1

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

I'll invoke slippery slope... based on what we're seeing national newspaper, television and radio seems to be at risk of disappearing altogether.  

Is that a great loss ?

Fiction and you must know it.  Whining by the liberal-left.  Duplication is a waste of money.

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Fiction and you must know it.  Whining by the liberal-left.  Duplication is a waste of money.

What fiction ?  I asked a question - I didn't assume anything nor whine.

Are you saying that disappearing national networks are a fiction ?  Well, ok, but the business model seems far less than healthy.  Isn't that at least a possible outcome here ? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Private enterprise has to do what is economical and profitable, not what pleases Trudeau and the Liberals.  Government meddling and intervention in private enterprise is one reason why the Canadian economy is such a mess.  Trudeau should keep his mouth closed for a change.  He is not a Bell or CTV shareholder.  He is a wealthy elite politician who can't help but pontificate about the bad corporations, sort of like Singh and the NDP.

So I will ask you too.

Where will you get all your Canadian news facts from?

B itch about CBC, CTV and Trudeau but, where do you get your info to b itch about??

• Like 1

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

What fiction ?  I asked a question - I didn't assume anything nor whine.

Are you saying that disappearing national networks are a fiction ?  Well, ok, but the business model seems far less than healthy.  Isn't that at least a possible outcome here ? 

We have had national networks with the CBC radio and television for years.  CTV was simply a duplication.  We already pay for the CBC.  Why waste billions more to duplicate the CBC which is what we have with the CTV.

However, I would rather see the CBC go and let private enterprise provide television.  The way it is we are spending billions for the CBC and private corporations like CTV are trying to compete against the taxpayer funded CBC, which is impossible.

11 minutes ago, blackbird said:

1. We have had national networks with the CBC radio and television for years.  CTV was simply a duplication.  We already pay for the CBC.  Why waste billions more to duplicate the CBC which is what we have with the CTV.

2. However, I would rather see the CBC go and let private enterprise provide television.  The way it is we are spending billions for the CBC and private corporations like CTV are trying to compete against the taxpayer funded CBC, which is impossible.

1. Well CTV is a privately-owned enterprise, so I suppose you would have to ask the investors why they would waste/invest billions.  

2. CBC budget is $1.3B.  Ok.  Seems you know that CTV is private.  

I'll ask again: would it be a great loss to lose all national broadcasters in Canada ?  Would letting the CBC fix that situation at all ?  Would we want to do anything to counter that situation ?

My take - since the government directly subsidizes all kinds of information services, and mandates subsidizing them through various funds... I would create incentives to grow the grass-roots digital news organizations that are forming now and also fund a new branch of the public broadcaster separate from the current entity to create local public news.

The idea is to foster the ones that work and let the ones that don't fail... Tricky though...

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

And your "reliable and unbiased" source is what??

Not CTV for one.

But anyway, it doesn't matter, even if you watch trash news, you will still get a glimpse of truth once and there. That's why you shouldn't have just one source of news, especially just local news.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

You did not answer the question...

"your Canadian alternative on TV and radio is what??

Some obscure online website??"

CBC is poor quality, that's a given . . . anything 'alternative' is worse in your left wing perspective?  Do your own research and conclusions. You seem to be content with the Liberal message from CBC.  Carry on . . .

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

It's my understanding that only 'local' television content has been cancelled in some areas, and that the radio stations dropped by Bell have already been sold or are in the process of being sold to much smaller (independent I presume) media outlets. Why is a media giant (monopoly) selling off some of its acquisitions such a bad idea?

44 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Do your own research and conclusions.  

The thing about news is that we don't have time to do our own research on so many things.  So a trusted service needs to provide that.  Will they match my ideology ?  No.  But with any system you lose something from the whole.  If they use professionals than any discrepancies shouldn't be significant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

National post, toronto sun. toronto star for that matter, global news, etc.

ANd there's nothing wrong with indies either. Some of the best reporting out there has come from smaller outfits like the tyee or true north.

If you thought the cbc was the source of all truth in canada you are absolutely wrong.

26 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The thing about news is that we don't have time to do our own research on so many things.  So a trusted service needs to provide that.  Will they match my ideology ?  No.  But with any system you lose something from the whole.  If they use professionals than any discrepancies shouldn't be significant.

There is no such thing in this day and age as a 'trusted' news source.

As twain said "if you don't read the paper you're uninformed. If you DO read the paper you're misinformed"

what people need to do is remain skeptical of any media report till it's been corroborated and valid sources posted.

Look at CBC's hit on Smith in the alberta election where cbc INSISTED!!! INSISTED that an email proving she did wrong existed WITHOUT  A DOUBT -  and persisted even after a third party search failed to find it.  They were SURE.

Then the election was over and before she can sue they said "Oh sorry - turns out we were entirely wrong and made a boo boo - we'll improve our journalistic practices moving forward, total error on our part".

It is obvious they lied in an attempt to sway the election - there are NO trusted news sources , and unless they could produce the letter they should have been punished for their attempt to discredit a political figure.