Another blow for freedom of speech in Canada

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Best thing he could do now is resign from the College of Psychologists Association of Ontario. 

Yes.  He should.  He stopped being a credible psychologist about 7-8 years ago or more, when he sold out his intellectualism to make money off peddling outrage to losers and incels.  He keeps his academic credentials so these losers can say, "LOOK!  A PROFESSOR who agrees with us!" but he's an utter embarrassment to the College.  

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, blackbird said:

1.  They obviously only permit group think of their members.  Anyone who steps outside that box is anathemized and needs to be re-educated, much like in China's education camps for Uighurs.

1. Well, group think is kind of a necessity for a professional body don't you think? Otherwise what is the value?

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Nexii said:

Part of being associated with a professional body is acting professional towards the public.

Peterson is professional, but his views are traditional and straight.  He opposes the liberal progressives trying to change society.  So-called professional psychologists and their associations appear to be on the side of progressives and the destruction of traditional values and society.  Not everyone believes there are more than two sexes, male and female.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 3

We don't need free speech.  Free speech can be very dangerous because speech can hurt people's feelings.

Sparing people's feelings and protecting them from all harm is more important than expressing one's feelings and thoughts.  shielding people from potential harm his is how you build a resilient society that can handle life's challenges, even if need to hide the truth.  Feelings > truth.

My friend is an alcoholic. But I chose not to voice my concerns because it would offend him.  This is the best way to solve problems. Just STFU.  I've also asked the local art gallery to remove all nude paintings (offensive).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Yes.  He should.  He stopped being a credible psychologist about 7-8 years ago or more, when he sold out his intellectualism to make money off peddling outrage to losers and incels.  He keeps his academic credentials so these losers can say, "LOOK!  A PROFESSOR who agrees with us!" but he's an utter embarrassment to the College.  

Sadly the so-called professionals in the psychology field are built on the invented ideologies of Sigmund Freud.  Most people know little to nothing about this field.  They just assume it is all rational and true.

"Freudian psychology is based on the work of Austrian neurologist Sigmund Freud (1856-1939). He is considered the father of psychoanalysis and is largely credited with establishing the field of talk therapy. Today, psychoanalytic and psychodynamic approaches to therapy are the modalities that draw most heavily on Freudian principles. Freud also developed influential theories about subjects such as the unconscious mind, the sources of psychopathology, the significance of dreams."

Freudian Psychology | Psychology Today United Kingdom

The field of psychology is a confused mess, which one should avoid like the plague.

The psychology of transgender (apa.org)

Edited by blackbird

9 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Peterson is professional, but his views are traditional and straight.  He opposes the liberal progressives trying to change society.  So-called professional psychologists and their associations appear to be on the side of progressives and the destruction of traditional values and society.  Not everyone believes there are more than two sexes, male and female.

Psychology leans left the same way other professions like law and accounting lean right. It's just part of the gig.

I doubt he's even practiced psychology in years, he's got enough of his own issues. He only wants the title for social media credibility, nothing more.

If there's an issue it's that psychology gets way too much credibility as a profession. Wasn't long ago they considered being trans or gay a mental disorder, lol. It gets treated like a science by the mainstream but it's an art

31 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Best thing he could do now is resign from the College of Psychologists Association of Ontario.  They have proven they are not something that should be supported.  They obviously only permit group think of their members.  Anyone who steps outside that box is anathemized and needs to be re-educated, much like in China's education camps for Uighurs.

Yes, Peterson is being put in a camp and deprogrammed. ?

Do you honestly believe the tripe you type? 

• Like 1

Would Jordan Peterson even be a pop culture thing outside of his profession were it not for social media ?   Regardless of his views, a "diversity" of ideas and perspectives is far more valuable than a steady diet of only leftist/feminist/Marxist doctrine.

In her 1906 biography of Voltaire, Evelyn Beatrice Hall coined the following sentence to illustrate Voltaire's beliefs: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Hall's quote is frequently cited to describe the principle of freedom of speech.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Would Jordan Peterson even be a pop culture thing outside of his profession were it not for social media ?   Regardless of his views, a "diversity" of ideas and perspectives is far more valuable than a steady diet of only leftist/feminist/Marxist doctrine.

Miss you bro.

24 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Sadly the so-called professionals in the psychology field are built on the invented ideologies of Sigmund Freud.  Most people know little to nothing about this field.  They just assume it is all rational and true.

Most of Freud's work has been debunked and it's only taught as history, rather than going theory.  Regardless, you're presenting a pretty confused argument. 

Jordan Peterson's credibility hinges on being a psychology professor (at least in name), but if the profession is an irrational mess, as you seem to suggest, doesn't that just make him just another ape making noises?  

Edited by Moonbox
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, myata said:

Sorry, based on professional knowledge and competence or just "conduct"?

Hello, China North! That was easy!

It could be both. 

The Hippocratic oath for Medical Doctors is a code of conduct, not a demonstration of medical knowledge. 

Lawyers can be disbarred for certain unprofessional conduct. 

I'm surprised this is a concept difficult for some to comprehend. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Jordan Peterson's credibility hinges on being a psychology professor (at least in name), but if the profession is an irrational mess, as you seem to suggest, doesn't that just make him just another ape making noises?  

No.  Seems he is a bit of a rebel to the psychology association and is talking outside the box or outside the defined boundaries of psychology's ideologies.  Apparently if you belong to the psychology association, you are not permitted to speak outside of their defined political or ideological box.   He is retired and speaking on his own so that is another reason the association is overstepping it's bounds.

Edited by blackbird

Just now, blackbird said:

No.  Seems he is a bit of a rebel to the psychology association and is talking outside the box or outside the defined boundaries of psychology's ideologies.

Oh I see.  The psychology field is a "mess" unless the psychologist in question repeats your viewpoints back to you. 

That's par for the course from blackbird.  Thanks for the chuckle.  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Just another skirmish in the cancel culture war.  The College of Psychologists is free to exercise membership requirements and constraints, but this court ruling only serves to heighten Jordan Peterson's prominence in the social media space.

Had Peterson's "freedom of expression" views leaned far more to the left, he would be getting a medal instead.

Nah, Ron DeSantis would have got 'im!

43 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

We don't need free speech.  Free speech can be very dangerous because speech can hurt people's feelings.

Sparing people's feelings and protecting them from all harm is more important than expressing one's feelings and thoughts.  shielding people from potential harm his is how you build a resilient society that can handle life's challenges, even if need to hide the truth.  Feelings > truth.

My friend is an alcoholic. But I chose not to voice my concerns because it would offend him.  This is the best way to solve problems. Just STFU.  I've also asked the local art gallery to remove all nude paintings (offensive).

So the courts didn't threaten you with a lengthy jail sentence if you mentioned your friend's alcoholism?

Huh, go figure!

Edited by bcsapper

5 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'm surprised this is a concept difficult for some to comprehend. 

You are surprised that some kangaroo court can arbitrarily decide your conduct being "unprofessional" having nothing to with professional or basic moral code? Just because you say something that you think and have a full right to think and say, you can be denied practicing the profession. That looks like China North to me. That's what they do in China. What was the difference, again?

Just now, myata said:

You are surprised that some kangaroo court can arbitrarily decide your conduct being "unprofessional" having nothing to with professional or basic moral code? Just because you say something that you think and have a full right to think and say, you can be denied practicing the profession. That looks like China North to me. That's what they do in China. What was the difference, again?

They didn't rule on the the nature of his conduct. They ruled that the regulating body has the right to dictate the conduct of its members. 

Again, I'll go back to the Religious example. Are religious institutions allowed to dictate the conduct of the people working for it and the opinions they make public? 

Or any workplace for that matter. Is it China North for a workplace to fire someone for hateful content online? 

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Calling into question the validity of the field doesn't mean Peterson must be accepted in a governing body of said field. 

I can call into question the validity and usefulness of plenty of religious studies. That doesn't mean that a person of faith may not find such things useful. 

Edited by Boges

2 hours ago, Boges said:

Yes, Peterson is being put in a camp and deprogrammed. ?

Do you honestly believe the tripe you type? 

Yup he is.  The cultural revolutionary mob is forcing re-education on Peterson, though he’s twice as smart as the losers who came up with a “social media sensitivity” course.  How about we have a social media insensitivity course?  Probably twice as effective at saving the “safe space” mob from themselves.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'll go back to the Religious example. Are religious institutions allowed to dictate the conduct of the people working for it and the opinions they make public? 

Or any workplace for that matter. Is it China North for a workplace to fire someone for hateful content online? 

Your cohort didn't want to talk about the religious example, because it presumably provides a reasonable principle and supports the discipline against JP.

But.... there are indeed limits as to what can be done about online postings.. firing people and so on.  It's contentious.

1 minute ago, Boges said:

Calling into question the validity of the field doesn't mean Peterson must be accepted in a governing body of said field. 

I can call into question the validity and usefulness of plenty of religious studies. That doesn't mean that a person of faith may not find such things useful. 

Psychology's Credibility Crisis | Discover Magazine

I see the Jehovah's Witnesses standing on street corners.  I could call into question their beliefs just as well as psychologist's claims.  But what does all that have to do with Jordan Peterson's comments on social media?  Probably little to nothing.  He is not even teaching as a professor in university.  So why are they going after him?