Trudeau ‘open’ to changing O Canada lyrics to 'home ON native land'

https://www.westernstandard.news/news/trudeau-open-to-changing-o-canada-lyrics-to-home-on-native-land/article_e3b8ded0-19fa-11ee-aab9-5f565dd46931.html

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has expressed “openness” to the possibility of changing the lyrics of Canada's national anthem O Canada. 

There is an increasing demand to modify the phrase “home and native land” to “home on native land”

Honestly- i think people are right at the point of having had enough of this shit and there could well be a 'bud lite' moment over this if they press it

That and the rainbow pride thingy are going overboard. It's causing more division.  That is what Trudeau wants to get the cobs to duagree,so the libs can say con hate natives and so on. What type of people are willing to destroy a beautiful peaceful nation just to stay in power? I just can't believe all crap they have done in 8 yrs. And that there is Canadians that agree with what they have done. So frigging sad.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

home and native land

Exactly expresses things for everyone who was born here.

But what about not just immigrants but the nine people who are of native extraction who were born overseas and had to come here? Think of the children!

Like why can't I make up a scandal just as petty & silly as a rag like the western standard can?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The stupidest regime in Canadian history. No evidence required for any land claims.  Just listen to the national anthem, present your “Indian” status, and claim is substantiated.  

As mentioned before, I'm 1/2 native and to change the National Anthem to "home on native land' would be a divisive mistake and give the most appalling federal government in Canada's history yet another wedge issue. No one benefits from this divisive diversion except Trudeau and his band of 'yes' mannequins. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

As mentioned before, I'm 1/2 native and to change the National Anthem to "home on native land' would be a divisive mistake and give the most appalling federal government in Canada's history yet another wedge issue. No one benefits from this divisive diversion except Trudeau and his band of 'yes' mannequins. 

It just turns the anthem into another radical activist gesture.  A country is supposed to include everyone, not set the settlers against the natives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

So, does my suggestion home on planet Earth resonate with you on any level? I should think it would. Who on Earth would that drive a wedge between?

At the end of the day we're all in the exact same place, directly above the center of Earth. Hishuk’ish tsawalk – Everything is One as the 1sties around here have said since time immemorial. Physicists seem to be saying the same thing these days.

I certainly like the room for more self-governance that treaties have allowed 1st Nations. 'New World' colonist/settler revolutions have been known to coalesce around or incorporate aspects of aspirations of indigenous people. What's to stop anyone from negotiating a better position with regards to Fed/Prov governments?

Please don't tell me treaty settlements. Oh noes!

Of course not, some redneck 1diot writes an editorial on an obscure rightwing rag, the National Post-apocalypse pics it up and these guys will run with it.

They actually think Justin is considering it. And could if he wanted to. Much more polite poltician than his Dad who would've told them to "F off, bring me a million signed letters and I might think about it".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herbie said:

Of course not, some redneck 1diot writes an editorial on an obscure rightwing rag, the National Post-apocalypse pics it up and these guys will run with it.

So ... no ACTUAL argument or thought or the like then?  :)

They actually think Justin is considering it. And could if he wanted to. Much more polite poltician than his Dad who would've told them to "F off, bring me a million signed letters and I might think about it".

He literally said he was open to it.  Are you saying he's lying? I could see where you'd assume  that based on his track record.  As to whether or not they could, of course they COULD, that's just an act of parliament. It's not like the NDP would stop them.  You don't have to open the constitution to change the anthem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

He literally said he was open to it. 

Exactly. Proving he would consider it. But he is also aware he would receive heavy handed push back for the attempt.

I am born and raised in Canada. This isn't borrowed land. I belong here just as much as any other Canadians.

The anthem is supposed to unite. There should be a pride behind your being Canadian. 

Boggles the mind one would even remotely consider bringing any remote level of question to that pride.

26 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Exactly. Proving he would consider it. But he is also aware he would receive heavy handed push back for the attempt.

Sure.  So unless he can find a way to shift the blame to "Canadians' as he says he won't. But he wins either way. 

If he can blame it on a group of Canadians then he gets to divide people and say The good Canadians want it - just the deplorables don't.  You want to be a good canadian and fight those deplorables right?

If he can't - then he goes to the first nations and says "Gosh guys - I really wanted to and said so publicly but those darn colonials won't let me!  I sure hope they don't get in power - as long as i'm in power they can't take revenge on you for making a sensible request like that. (look at them! They so mad!)

That's how he's been since day one.  Divide people and conquer. Turn Canadians against each other.

11 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I am born and raised in Canada. This isn't borrowed land. I belong here just as much as any other Canadians.

The anthem is supposed to unite. There should be a pride behind your being Canadian. 

Boggles the mind one would even remotely consider bringing any remote level of question to that pride.

the Liberals already changed the "anthem" on a whim

from "in all our sons command" to "in all of us command"

which is imbecilic, since that's not even proper grammar

there was no push back, Canadians never push back against anything

you're naive to think that the "anthem" belongs to you

it's entirely a Liberal project, it's the Liberal party of Canada song

it belongs to them, they can change it as they please, and they know it

1 hour ago, herbie said:

OMG the horror! The horror!

When a politician says "I'll think about it" that means something different than when your wife or Boss says it....

still expecting that blow job are you?

When's it a lying little bytch like Trudeau, yup.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2023 at 4:57 AM, Perspektiv said:

Among the many hypocrisies we get from the Trudeauesque crowd is a furious insistence that those born and raised in Canada to parents born and raised in Canada to parents born and raised in Canada going back multiple more generations are not one iota more Canadian than an immigrant who arrived here a couple of years ago from Bangladesh and who can barely speak the language. All exactly the same. And yet, somehow or other, natives are far, far, FAR more 'native' to this land than we are.

Why? Because they've been here longer, of course!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Among the many hypocrisies we get from the Trudeauesque crowd is a furious insistence that those born and raised in Canada to parents born and raised in Canada to parents born and raised in Canada going back multiple more generations are not one iota more Canadian than an immigrant who arrived here a couple of years ago from Bangladesh and who can barely speak the language. All exactly the same. And yet, somehow or other, natives are far, far, FAR more 'native' to this land than we are.

Thats woke "logic" for you.

10 hours ago, I am Groot said:

... somehow or other, natives are far, far, FAR more 'native' to this land than we are.

You simply don't get it. It's because when you're indigenous you are by definition the ONLY people who are native to this land. It just is what it is.

You are indigenous to Earth so there is that.

Speaking of Earth, how on Earth did it come to pass that not being native made so many Canadians feel less Canadian?  What changed?

Pick a pronoun if it makes you feel better, I chose to identify as an Earthling myself.  But don't expect all your angst to go away. As I've said before I'd feel better if you'd all get your silly countries off my planet.  They're really putting a terrible crimp on our species' progress.