Trudeau ‘open’ to changing O Canada lyrics to 'home ON native land'

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

You simply don't get it. It's because when you're indigenous you are by definition the ONLY people who are native to this land. It just is what it is.

Well that's not what the dictionary says.

And if you're suggesting that only people who came into existence in that location are 'indigenous'  then Canada has no indigenous people.  ALL the people here are either immigrants or decedent from them if you go back.  Even the first nations traveled here across the great land bridge.

What you really mean is that you PREFER TO THINK of one group as indigenous and it BOTHERS you that other people are too. 

But - i'm reliably informed that facts don't care about your feelings :)

13 hours ago, eyeball said:

You simply don't get it. It's because when you're indigenous you are by definition the ONLY people who are native to this land. It just is what it is.

That's certainly not the definition of indigenous. In fact, by the definition of indigenous none of the 'natives' are indigenous either. They didn't originate here. They migrated here from somewhere else.

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

That's certainly not the definition of indigenous. In fact, by the definition of indigenous none of the 'natives' are indigenous either. They didn't originate here. They migrated here from somewhere else.

Let me guess, you also struggle with the concept that humans are indigenous to Earth - it goes to far and encompasses to much.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Let me guess, you also struggle with the concept that humans are indigenous to Earth - it goes to far and encompasses to much.

No. I struggle with the way the airhead set (progressives) keep reinterpreting words to mean things they were never meant to. Words like 'hate', 'racism', 'unsafe', 'woman', and of course, now 'indigenous'. 

Humans originated on Earth. Thus they are indigenous to it. They didn't come here from elsewhere. Why is this so complex a thought for you? 

47 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

No. I struggle with the way the airhead set (progressives) keep reinterpreting words to mean things they were never meant to. Words like 'hate', 'racism', 'unsafe', 'woman', and of course, now 'indigenous'.

Can you point to a dictionary from the past that differs from the dictionaries we use now?

I do note that I quoted a legacy dictionary. Is it like the MSM, all part of the same progressive plot?

On 7/4/2023 at 9:36 PM, CdnFox said:

Actually, that's not the stupidest idea i've ever heard.

Maybe not the stupidest...but certainly not smart either. I'm tired of Pixie-Dust and his childish garbolla. He does nothing but pound social wedges deeper and embarass the nation.

They already changed the original lyrics once. Decades ago. That was silly too. O Canada is our anthem. It's always been inspirational to all Canadians. Even native citizens.

Just...leave the Gawd Damn national anthem alone. It's diminished by this whimsical crap.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

Can you point to a dictionary from the past that differs from the dictionaries we use now?

I do note that I quoted a legacy dictionary. Is it like the MSM, all part of the same progressive plot?

Do you know anything about how the publishing industry has been overcome by woke? There are diversity readers now for every book of fiction, and if they don't approve or think anything offensive the book has to be changed or it won't be published. Staff were literally crying at Penguin over being unable to persuade management to refuse to publish Jordan Peterson's last book. The ones in the UK were in a similar tantrum over JK Rowling.

So I'm not even going to bother looking for an online dictionary that hasn't been altered by the publisher to fit the new definitions. Instead, just for you, Eye, I went and checked the old dictionaries deep in the archives, buried in the sub-basement below my manor house under the wine cellar and just above the dungeon. I am reassured of being correct - again. I have there Webster's Seventh Collegiate Dictionary, circa late 1970s, and the New Penguin English dictionary from 2000. No mention of colonizing or 'pre-colonial" in either of them. Indigenous means originating there.

If you doubt me I can take pictures and post them.

Edited by I am Groot

39 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Maybe not the stupidest...but certainly not smart either. I'm tired of Pixie-Dust and his childish garbolla. He does nothing but pound social wedges deeper and embarass the nation.

They already changed the original lyrics once. Decades ago. That was silly too. O Canada is our anthem. It's always been inspirational to all Canadians. Even native citizens.

Just...leave the Gawd Damn national anthem alone. It's diminished by this whimsical crap.

it's the Liberal Party of Canada song

adopted by the Liberals in 1980

they can do what they want with their party anthem

we didn't even play it on parade when I joined the regiment

we only played God Save the Queen & the Regimental March

14 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

it's the Liberal Party of Canada song

adopted by the Liberals in 1980

they can do what they want with their party anthem

we didn't even play it on parade when I joined the regiment

we only played God Save the Queen & the Regimental March

Bah...leave the national anthem alone.

20 hours ago, RedDog said:

I haven’t known the words for years. I gave up. I no longer stand. Canada is not stable.

who can even keep up with all the "corrections" ?

"Canada" changes its "anthem" every couple years now

in order to keep up with the latest lunatic leftist fads imported from America by the Democrat Party

1 minute ago, Nationalist said:

Bah...leave the national anthem alone.

not my anthem

I only sing The Maple Leaf Forever, while flying The Red Ensign

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, eyeball said:

You are indigenous to Earth so there is that.

Everyone comes from somewhere. Life is an assault on nature.  Ask the Jainists in India. No one truly owns anything and no one can claim first rights to the Earth.  Nature must be respected. Death takes us all and has the last word. Indigenous religions generally bring a sense of respect for nature because it’s sacred.  The Jainists also believe that everything is alive.  It means we reduce our footprints in order to preserve life.  It’s the opposite of ego.  The Buddhists also believe in extinguishing ego to reach Nirvana.  It’s the elimination of desire.  The problem is that our whole earthly existence is built on the idea of baiting desire to create demand for product.

Also I don’t know what a life without desire and its satisfaction would look like.  Many people (most), including myself, are too much of this world to give up its joys.  Capitalism is the promise of accumulating wealth/ego affirmation.  Most of us are swept up in that chase, including Indigenous.  The real struggle for us all as humans, I think, isn’t the battle between identity groups but our universal Everyman struggle to manage our desire amidst the limitations of nature, both outside us and inside our beings.  We are psychologically/spiritually living this tension.

Edited by Zeitgeist

18 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Authors too. Anyone who is the least bit creative. 

I guess you don't know much about that.

Not really no. But thanks for acknowledging deplorables are also subject to the power of woke.

Trying sticking your fingers deeper in your ears. Maybe insert La La La into the anthem somewhere.

"O Canada" was technically a French song

written in Quebec to celebrate St Jean Baptiste Day in 1880

imposed by the Liberals in a bureaucratic process in 1980

British North Americans already had our own anthems

they only change the lyrics to appease American ideologies

just like everything else in "Canada" today

"O Canada" is now imported from the USA

thus why no Loyalist should ever sing the Liberal Party of Canada song again

God save the King

The Maple Leaf Forever

5 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The real struggle for us all as humans, I think, isn’t the battle between identity groups but our universal Everyman struggle to manage our desire amidst the limitations of nature, both outside us and inside our beings.

The process you're talking about takes generations. I don't disagree. I just think we're still several hundred years away, maybe longer, from thinking like one species instead of seperate races.

The struggle for you is that your sense of racial and national identity is still the dominant one. From where I'm sitting as an Earthling you're resisting assimilation into the human race. It should actually be fairly simple for you to put your feet into a First Nation's moccasins.

27 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

in order to keep up with the latest lunatic leftist fads imported from America by the Democrat Party

not my anthem

Whatever...I like O Canada just the way it was adopted.

37 minutes ago, eyeball said:

But do your old dictionaries say born there?

No.

You are confusing 'indigenous' with 'native'. But then, you appear to often be confused.

I am native to Canada in that I was born and raised here. Same-same for the so-called 'first nations' people.

Neither of us are 'indigenous' to the Western Hemisphere.

49 minutes ago, herbie said:

I'm not racist, I just choose to ignore that they were here 13,000 years before my Grampa was.

Yup. Some people will believe you.

And we have yet another new definition of 'racist' from the airhead set.

40 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

not my anthem

I started noticing this a few years ago. Canadians are a people who don't know how to sing their own national anthem. I don't know the anthem anymore because they keep changing it. There's a version with a few lines of french near the end. I think that was dropped after a while but don't know.

Next up: "God keep our land..." You know it cannot endure with these liberals in charge.