Trudeau Government Single-handedly Destroying Tourism and Business Travel

On the one hand, we are being told the economy is terrible, but all these people have the money to fly?

We should be spending our tourist dollars in Canada. We live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world. 

Edited by Queenmandy85

11 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

On the one hand, we are being told the economy is terrible, but all these peole have the money to fly?

We should be spending our tourist dollars in Canada. We live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world. 

What’s with your support for coercive social engineering?  How communist totalitarian.  People can travel in the country if they want.  They shouldn’t have to stay in the country because the government makes it hard to travel.  If anything such policies make Canada less desirable.  Let Canada draw people on its merits.  Making people stay turns the country into a prison.  I thought democracy won the Cold War…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I thought democracy won the Cold War…

no.

first Nixon went to China, splitting the Communist Bloc and proving the Domino Theory wrong

then Carter negotiated a peace between Israel & Egypt, thus ending the OPEC embargo

then Reagan convinced the Saudis that the Soviets were a threat to Arabia

inciting Saudi Arabia to pump vastly more oil causing the 1980's Oil Glut

this dropped the price of oil to twenty constant dollars per barrel

since the Soviets were basically just a giant military funded by oil exports

the Soviet Union then went broke due to lost oil revenues

the oil price reached a low of $10.70 a barrel on 31 March 1986

the Soviets come to the negotiating table just six months later

suing for peace at Reykjavik on 11 October 1986

• Like 1

Canada has lapsed into totalitarianism under Trudeau.  What humane country would imprison citizens over a dubious vaccine mandate.  That article illustrates what’s happening:

”’I cannot board a plane in Canada to fly to Ireland because I am not vaccinated," she read, ‘The government of Canada has set a mandate that states that no unvaccinated person shall board a plane, train, or bus whether to travel domestically or internationally. I believe it is the only country in the western world that has imposed this sanction of the unvaccinated population.’”

20 minutes ago, ironstone said:

At least news of Trudeau's continued heavy handed approach to governing is starting to spread a bit more to the outside world.

WATCH: Irish Senator SLAMS Trudeau over travel restrictions, treatment of unvaccinated | The Post Millennial

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

What’s with your support for coercive social engineering?  How communist totalitarian.  People can travel in the country if they want.  They shouldn’t have to stay in the country because the government makes it hard to travel.  If anything such policies make Canada less desirable.  Let Canada draw people on its merits.  Making people stay turns the country into a prison.  I thought democracy won the Cold War…

I didn't say the government should prevent travel. I meant why would anyone not want to vacation in Canada. We have the most beautiful country in the world. I would have thought Canadians would want to see Canada more than anything. I would have thought Canadians would want to support their own economy rather than spending it in other countries. This country is not just beautiful, it is safer than most other countries.

13 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Canada has lapsed into totalitarianism under Trudeau.  What humane country would imprison citizens over a dubious vaccine mandate.

Your use of the word "dubious," is the crux of the arguement. The vaccine is recommended by every Chief Public Health Officer in Canada. That recommendation is disputed by a tiny tiny minority of truck drivers and people who get their information from social media. Personally, I follow the advice of the professionals. 

We all have choices. If one wishes to travel, all you have to do is get vaccinated. Vaccinations have been a requirement for many foreign destinations, including Canada, for many decades. A friend of mine lived in Norway in the 1970's. When she returned home to Saskatoon, she had to provide proof of vaccination to enter Canada.

10 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I didn't say the government should prevent travel. I meant why would anyone not want to vacation in Canada. We have the most beautiful country in the world. I would have thought Canadians would want to see Canada more than anything. I would have thought Canadians would want to support their own economy rather than spending it in other countries. This country is not just beautiful, it is safer than most other countries.

I agree Canada is a beautiful country and I admit I have seen very little of it so far. I really would like to see more of it in the future but sometimes it was actually cheaper to go down south to a tropical beach for less money than it takes to visit other places in Canada.

At one time it would have been awesome to drive across Canada coast to coast but that's not possible now unless you have very deep pockets.

I understand why Justin Trudeau is so out of touch with Canadians too. Like his father before him he was financially set for life the second he was born so the Trudeau family has no understanding of monetary struggles, it's totally alien to them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ironstone said:

I understand why Justin Trudeau is so out of touch with Canadians too. Like his father before him he was financially set for life the second he was born so the Trudeau family has no understanding of monetary struggles, it's totally alien to them.

That is amusing. You are right, of course, but rumour has it that Pierre Trudeau was extremely tight-fisted with his own money. 

23 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Your use of the word "dubious," is the crux of the arguement. The vaccine is recommended by every Chief Public Health Officer in Canada. That recommendation is disputed by a tiny tiny minority of truck drivers and people who get their information from social media. Personally, I follow the advice of the professionals. 

We all have choices. If one wishes to travel, all you have to do is get vaccinated. Vaccinations have been a requirement for many foreign destinations, including Canada, for many decades. A friend of mine lived in Norway in the 1970's. When she returned home to Saskatoon, she had to provide proof of vaccination to enter Canada.

The current vaccines have limited impact on Omicron, which is a relatively mild flu-like short-term illness in the vast majority of people.  A year ago such a mandate was far more arguable.

What our government is imposing on people by preventing them from flying out of the country without Covid vaccination is highly oppressive and unconstitutional.  I’m not sure why truckers need to enter the discussion, unless your purpose is to associate concern for mandates with some kind of blue collar element.  There are many people from all walks of life, income levels, and education levels who oppose such mandates.

I can’t believe that this requires explanation.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Queenmandy85 said:

You didn't address the fact that vaccinations have been a requirement to travel to many foreign destinations for decades. Why is this latest vaccine any different?

It’s very different and Canada hasn’t been a dictatorship with obscure public health requirements that are out of line with developed democracies, I guess until recently.  

How is this different? The requirement for proof of vaccination when John Diefenbaker was Prime Minister or MacKenzie King, was the same. 

20 years ago, my son went to Mexico and had to get several vaccinations. In the 1970's, my parents travelled to Iran, Egypt, and Brazil on business and they needed to keep thier vaccinations up to date for each trip.

Edited by Queenmandy85

30 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

How is this different? The requirement for proof of vaccination when John Diefenbaker was Prime Minister or MacKenzie King, was the same. 

20 years ago, my son went to Mexico and had to get several vaccinations. In the 1970's, my parents travelled to Iran, Egypt, and Brazil on business and they needed to keep thier vaccinations up to date for each trip.

Yeah that’s where Canada is now, 1950’s era measures, Brazilian entry requirements, etc.  Actually even those countries aren’t as arbitrary as our government.  

6 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yeah that’s where Canada is now, 1950’s era measures, Brazilian entry requirements, etc.  Actually even those countries aren’t as arbitrary as our government.  

Proof of vaccination is still required for many countries. It has never been an issue. Canada is no more arbitrary than any other. Have you never been vaccinated for anything?

5 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Other countries are doing stupid things so Canada should also do stupid things?

Not at all, just showing that the whining from some here that Canada is doing stupid things is moot. Canada is not alone in it's COVID requirements

10 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Not at all, just showing that the whining from some here that Canada is doing stupid things is moot. Canada is not alone in it's COVID requirements

You and Queenmandy clearly don’t read international or even domestic news, even from newspapers that support the Liberals like the Toronto Star, which is highly critical of Trudeau’s travel policies.  Are you in the pay of the LPOC or are you bots or both?

Edited by Zeitgeist

9 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

You and Queenmandy clearly don’t read international or even domestic news, even from newspapers that support the Liberals like the Toronto Star, which is highly critical of Trudeau’s travel policies.  Are you in the pay of the LPOC or are you bots or both?

I travel internationally (US earlier this year and Europe next month) so need to be current on what is required.

I am not liberal and do not care for the present government but, I do understand that this government is no better or worse than many others in the world and we live by government requirements of the countries we visit. If you ever left your enclosure and off facebook and youtube, you may realize what is actually going on in the world :)

Your hate of liberals has you completely out of touch of what is going on in the world. Your blinders need to come off. LOL

56 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The Star is a Grit paper, not that that is a bad thing. I have been without a political party since the Reform Party took over my party, the Progressive Conservative Party. I am currently giving the CPC a shot by working for Jean Charest's campaign. If the CPC members elect Charest ot Aitkinson, I will continue to support them. I am also willing to support Patrick Brown. If Poilievre wins, I will return to the wilderness and decide which local candidate to vote for in my Riding, regardless of party lable.

All that being said, public health issues are not political. A virus doesn't care who is in power. It only wants to replicate and evolve to survive. Governments have a duty to protect their people. That is why they mandated vaccinations against polio, smallpox, diphtheria, etc. and strongly encourage the flu shot. Through vaccines, polio is in retreat and smallpox has become extinct. We have vaccines against meningitis, tetanus, mumps measles rubella. The US requires vaccination for 14 diseases for immigrant visa applicants, one of which is covid 19. 

What makes the pfizer vaccine so terrifying to some people? 11.9 billion doses of covid 19 vaccine have been administered. 4.77 billion people (half the population of the earth) are fully vaccinated. If we were all dropping dead, don't you think somebody would notice?

Edited by Queenmandy85

45 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

public health issues are not political. 

I generally agree with you, except the Liberal airport fiasco shouldn't automatically be attributed to their usual indifference to running a well-managed government.

I suspect they saw some of the polling numbers around the time of the convoy and misread the electorate...