Trudeau Government Single-handedly Destroying Tourism and Business Travel

19 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I generally agree with you, except the Liberal airport fiasco shouldn't automatically be attributed to their usual indifference to running a well-managed government.

I suspect they saw some of the polling numbers around the time of the convoy and misread the electorate...

A major problem the airports ran into is when the air transportation industry screeched to a halt, they lost a lot of their staff. Now that it's opening up, they had to hire a lot of new staff who are inexperienced. That has slowed things down because every time they run into a new problem with a passenger, they have no experienced people to expedite a resolution. That is only one problem of course. The airlines have also contributed to the problem by running more flights than the airport capacity can handle. Finally, the government did not anticipate the volume. 

My sympathy is hampered by my own prejudice against tourism. Having the country over run with foreign tourists is disheartening to me. I've always seen tourism as a form of prostitution, selling our most treasured possession for money. I know there are a lot of jobs in the tourist industry, but there are a lot of alternative careers they could have in the STEM industries. It is my problem, but it does bother me that thee are fewer places we can go to get away from people. Unbroken powder is becoming a scarcity after 10 AM.

I just had to vent. I feel better now. Have a great weekend everyone. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

A major problem the airports ran into is when the air transportation industry screeched to a halt, they lost a lot of their staff. Now that it's opening up, they had to hire a lot of new staff who are inexperienced. That has slowed things down because every time they run into a new problem with a passenger, they have no experienced people to expedite a resolution. That is only one problem of course. The airlines have also contributed to the problem by running more flights than the airport capacity can handle. Finally, the government did not anticipate the volume. 

My sympathy is hampered by my own prejudice against tourism. Having the country over run with foreign tourists is disheartening to me. I've always seen tourism as a form of prostitution, selling our most treasured possession for money. I know there are a lot of jobs in the tourist industry, but there are a lot of alternative careers they could have in the STEM industries. It is my problem, but it does bother me that thee are fewer places we can go to get away from people. Unbroken powder is becoming a scarcity after 10 AM.

I just had to vent. I feel better now. Have a great weekend everyone. ?

I agree with your paragraph 1 but, your anti tourism rant is nonsense.

To even assume people working in tourism jobs can be working in STEM is well, presumptuous. The service industry is an industry that has more employees than any other in this Country.

Tourism, in this Country and others is also a way of teaching and informing and yes, showing off the best of a Country. 

As for getting away from people, well, in all of Canada's 10 million square kilometres, I think there are places that you can hide :)

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada is mostly bug infested swampland

Canadians are mostly insular small minded provincials

teeming with mosquitoes, with an exceptionally boring culture

I wouldn't recommend it as a tourist destination

But we have the best skiing in the world.

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

I agree with your paragraph 1 but, your anti tourism rant is nonsense.

To even assume people working in tourism jobs can be working in STEM is well, presumptuous. The service industry is an industry that has more employees than any other in this Country.

Tourism, in this Country and others is also a way of teaching and informing and yes, showing off the best of a Country. 

As for getting away from people, well, in all of Canada's 10 million square kilometres, I think there are places that you can hide :)

But how do we keep them off the ski hills and their boats off our lakes.

2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada is mostly bug infested swampland

Canadians are mostly insular small minded provincials

teeming with mosquitoes, with an exceptionally boring culture

I wouldn't recommend it as a tourist destination

There’s a lot of beauty in Canada.  Muskoka may be the most beautiful cottage country in the world.  Ontario has the best boating in the world between the Rideau Canal, Georgian Bay, and the Thousand Islands around pretty Kingston.  Parts of Alberta have some of the most beautiful natural landscapes: Lake Louise, Jasper, Banff, etc.  BC has the best skiing in the world.  Vancouver Island’s old growth coniferous forests and old worldly English charm and beautiful weather…Quebec has beautiful European old cities and beautiful lakes, mountains, and skiing.  Newfoundland has many other-worldly gems.  Nova Scotia has Louisbourg, mountainous Cabot Trail, UNESCO ship-building Lunenberg, and of course the citadel city of Halifax.  Some say the far north has the most beautiful parts of Canada.  Never been.  Canada has rich French, Celtic, and over 200 Indigenous cultures.  You can also eat any food from any country and feel accepted no matter what your background just about anywhere.

However, I want to travel internationally as freely as possible, as I should be able to in a free country.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

There’s a lot of beauty in Canada.  Muskoka may be the most beautiful cottage country in the world.  Ontario has the best boating in the world between the Rideau Canal, Georgian Bay, and the Thousand Islands around pretty Kingston.  Parts of Alberta have some of the most beautiful natural landscapes: Lake Louise, Jasper, Banff, etc.  BC has the best skiing in the world.  Vancouver Island’s old growth coniferous forests and old worldly English charm and beautiful weather…Quebec has beautiful European old cities and beautiful lakes, mountains, and skiing.  Newfoundland has many other-worldly gems.  Nova Scotia has Louisbourg, mountainous Cabot Trail, UNESCO ship-building Lunenberg, and of course the citadel city of Halifax.  Some say the far north has the most beautiful parts of Canada.  Never been.  Canada has rich French, Celtic, and over 200 Indigenous cultures.  You can also eat any food from any country and feel accepted no matter what your background just about anywhere.

However, I want to travel internationally as freely as possible, as I should be able to in a free country.  

at the end of the day, it's six months of winter, followed by 6 months of mosquitoes 

if you have to live in this wasteland to make a buck, so be it

but it's not worth wasting your tourism budget on

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

If you want that international experience, come to Saskatoon's Folk Fest in August.  You can visit about 18 countries in three days. Your Folkfest Passport not only gets you into each pavilion, but it also acts as your bus pass to take you from pavillion to pavilion. The Passport only costs about $15. (And you don't have to apply for it weeks in advance. ?)

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

at the end of the day, it's six months of winter, followed by 6 months of mosquitoes 

Now now, you know better than that.  Canada is an amazing country full of natural wealth, talent, a highly educated workforce, preserved cultures, and tremendous natural beauty.  The Group of 7 paintings illustrate this well.  That’s precisely why we have to preserve the beauty and add value.  The current government is taking a sledgehammer to our constitution, energy security, and standard of living through communist social engineering programs in health and the welfare state, and by implementing draconian regulations, carbon taxes, and restrictions/mandates.  The Canadian government needs to stand up for and represent Canadians and Canadian interests (freedom and a sustainable strong economy), not creepy international programs run by unaccountable elites.  

3 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

If you want that international experience, come to Saskatoon's Folk Fest in August.  You can visit about 18 countries in three days. Your Folkfest Passport not only gets you into each pavilion, but it also acts as your bus pass to take you from pavillion to pavilion. The Passport only costs about $15. (And you don't have to apply for it weeks in advance. ?)

That’s in Carassauga and the Toronto festivals too.  Plenty of that, but I want unfettered travel freedom, of course.  I shouldn’t have to explain myself to be granted the privilege like in some closed communist country.  This isn’t Cuba — yet.  

6 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

That's 6 months of skiing, followed by 6 months of mosquitos.

Depends where you go.  I keep my boat in Toronto and toodle around the islands and Spit.  Barely any mosquitoes. It’s like being up north but it’s a 40 minute drive from home with the amazing amenities of Toronto.  Too bad fuel costs are outrageous.  Thank Trudeau and Biden for that.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Now now, you know better than that.  Canada is an amazing country full of natural wealth, talent, a highly educated workforce, preserved cultures, and tremendous natural beauty.

not really

most Canadians are priggish authoritarian snobs

it's a land of cowards, sycophants & cronies

the Liberal Party of Canada is the poster child for Canada

to wit, yes, world, Justin Trudeau is what Canada is all about, he represents the dominant culture

the Canadian dream is really to escape this frozen bug infested pseudo Communist GULAG to retire in Florida

18 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I will help you pack :)

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

not really

most Canadians are priggish authoritarian snobs

it's a land of cowards, sycophants & cronies

the Liberal Party of Canada is the poster child for Canada

to wit, yes, world, Justin Trudeau is what Canada is all about, he represents the dominant culture

the Canadian dream is really to escape this frozen bug infested pseudo Communist GULAG to retire in Florida

Actually Toronto in my books is still spectacular in terms of dynamism and opportunity.  Still the fastest growing major western city.  Problem is affordability, lack of infrastructure to match growth, and of course Canada is too cold for too long, which for me is where Florida comes in.  If I can get down there for a couple of weeks each winter, I can manage well.  Winter has its own beauty.  Just have to embrace it.

I like Florida politically now.  Canada needs to shift politically toward Florida.  Canada has moved far too left.  It’s a real worry actually.    The state is too controlling.

Edited by Zeitgeist

Just now, Dougie93 said:

Toronto is literally the most boring city on earth

I don’t mind telling people that if it keeps them from coming.  Too much new development without historic context.  Vertical sprawl.  Still love the old hoods: Annex, Queen West, Kensington, St. Lawrence Market, Beaches, Cabbagetown, Leslieville…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

and by implementing draconian regulations, carbon taxes, and restrictions/mandates.

With the coming climate disaster, you don't know the meaning of draconian. If we don't act now, the measures required to save future generations will be beyond your imagination. The longe we delay, the worse it will be.

6 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Now now, you know better than that.  Canada is an amazing country full of natural wealth, talent, a highly educated workforce, preserved cultures, and tremendous natural beauty.  The Group of 7 paintings illustrate this well.  That’s precisely why we have to preserve the beauty and add value.  The current government is taking a sledgehammer to our constitution, energy security, and standard of living through communist social engineering programs in health and the welfare state, and by implementing draconian regulations, carbon taxes, and restrictions/mandates.  The Canadian government needs to stand up for and represent Canadians and Canadian interests (freedom and a sustainable strong economy), not creepy international programs run by unaccountable elites.  

I agree with the first part of your post but the government has not damaged the constitution, and if the huge surge in travel is any indication, our standard of living is doing great. I don't know what you mean by "social engineering." I don't think your political science prof explained communism to you very well. I agree the Canadian government needs to stand up for and represent Canadians and Canadian interests (freedom and a sustainable strong economy) but that should be a full on campaign to electrify and re-build the rail system and start building nuclear power stations across the country and around the world. 

There seems to be a lot of people whining about 6 or 7% inflation. How soon we forget the late 1970's and 80's when I was writing mortgages with 12 and 13% interest. On the flip side, Canada savings bonds were 13%. Instead on moaning about high interest rates, we should take advantage of them. Don't borrow, invest. Buy shares in the major banks and get some of those "obscene" profits for yourself.

4 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

With the coming climate disaster, you don't know the meaning of draconian. If we don't act now, the measures required to save future generations will be beyond your imagination. The longe we delay, the worse it will be.

I agree with the first part of your post but the government has not damaged the constitution, and if the huge surge in travel is any indication, our standard of living is doing great. I don't know what you mean by "social engineering." I don't think your political science prof explained communism to you very well. I agree the Canadian government needs to stand up for and represent Canadians and Canadian interests (freedom and a sustainable strong economy) but that should be a full on campaign to electrify and re-build the rail system and start building nuclear power stations across the country and around the world. 

There seems to be a lot of people whining about 6 or 7% inflation. How soon we forget the late 1970's and 80's when I was writing mortgages with 12 and 13% interest. On the flip side, Canada savings bonds were 13%. Instead on moaning about high interest rates, we should take advantage of them. Don't borrow, invest. Buy shares in the major banks and get some of those "obscene" profits for yourself.

There’s no climate emergency, just more people impacted by climate change and more information available through media about international problems.  Don’t you remember floods in places like Bangladesh half a century ago?  Don’t believe the hype.  Our advancing technology and decrease in population (after boomers die off around 2050’s) will reduce human made climate change.   Don’t believe the hype.  Carbon taxes and green subsidies are stupid.

Also, I know Communism first hand. I lived in Russia for 15 months.  I was there in 89.  Putin didn’t cause this inflation.  Too much money thrown by government towards too little production has driven up costs.  We need to allow domestic energy production and stop overspending on social programs while saddling future generations with crippling debt.  

Edited by Zeitgeist