Erin O'Toole out

8 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Would you agree that being found guilty of libel is not the same as “being sued for criticizing a government official”?  

No.  A government official or elected official should pull up their big boy pants.  That's the COST of being in the lime light.  Otherwise Trudeau could sue each and every one of us who called him a liar, douche, ect....

1 minute ago, Faramir said:

Otherwise Trudeau could sue each and every one of us who called him a liar, douche, ect....

If that were the case, then why isn’t it happening?  

From a legal perspective, criticism and libel are absolutely two distinct things.  

Could it be that your criticism is more that Canada should have no libel laws?  Was your contention that people are being sued for criticizing government officials simply some hyperbole?  

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

You’ll never vaccinate enough people to eliminate risk from Covid.  Holding society hostage for two years when so many protections are available in our country is twisted and sadistic.   We have Charter protections to stave off such tyranny because history has taught us about the creep into government overreach that is probably inevitable.  

Covid is going to be with us until the entire world population has either been vaccinated or a true cure is found. As we near 90 % vaccinated in Canada  our hospitals are still filled and the people are still dying, and yet we are still pushing a vaccine that quickly dissipates its effectiveness ... maybe it is time to pour billions into the next vaccine or cure... If we don't get the entire world, then we will continue to forced into more jabs. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

If that were the case, then why isn’t it happening?  

From a legal perspective, criticism and libel are absolutely two distinct things.  

Could it be that your criticism is more that Canada should have no libel laws?  Was your contention that people are being sued for criticizing government officials simply some hyperbole?  

Exactly.  You can lose if you call someone a Nazi because the courts take what you said as literal.  Canadians think that defamation is a misstatement of facts.  It's not.  Calling someone a goose stepper is taken as though you really are saying someone is an actual NAZI

2 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Exactly.  You can lose if you call someone a Nazi because the courts take what you said as literal.  Canadians think that defamation is a misstatement of facts.  It's not.  Calling someone a goose stepper is taken as though you really are saying someone is an actual NAZI

Did Levant get successfully sued for calling a government official a “goose stepper”?  Can you show a case where this actually happened?

Is this just more hyperbole and people are not actually being sued for criticizing government officials?  

1 minute ago, TreeBeard said:

Did Levant get successfully sued for calling a government official a “goose stepper”?  Can you show a case where this actually happened?

Is this just more hyperbole and people are not actually being sued for criticizing government officials?  

I won't go into details because I lost a defamation suit and I am prohibited by a lifetime injunction in talking about the case beyond generalities. But yes, I lost $20,000 for for calling someone a brown shirt - online.

14 minutes ago, Faramir said:

I won't go into details because I lost a defamation suit and I am prohibited by a lifetime injunction in talking about the case beyond generalities. But yes, I lost $20,000 for for calling someone a brown shirt - online.

Should I believe that a judge prohibited someone from ever talking about a case they lost?  

However, I will grant that is the case for sake of argument….  There are privacy reasons that one wouldn’t want to discuss an actual case in an open forum, and I wouldn’t want someone to reveal anything about themselves.

Why would it be surprising that someone found guilty of defamation doesn’t like laws against defamation?  

Do you think murderers might argue against murder laws?  Should their opinion have any bearing? 

Edited by TreeBeard

2 hours ago, Faramir said:

The CPC went off the reservation for me when they banned conversion therapy.  They are dogmeat to me now.

The current mainstream parties are violating religious freedoms and imposing dubious ideology.  Canada is a cultural-Marxist-nihilist totalitarian state.  The federal leader won’t even meet with the leaders of a movement that represents a massive proportion of the population that Bloomberg says is in rebellion.  Trudeau should trade oppression tips with Kim Jung-Un.

https://apple.news/A5ild3Y85RJCD1pMObD2Phg

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

No rule of law?  No elections?   Hmmm….  Is this a wee bit of hyperbole on your part?  Just a tiny bit maybe?

I've been given to understand our dictators have learned that authoritarianism should be candy-coated and sweet so we won't notice it.  The thing I don't get is that they try to make this look so awful by pointing to the blood-thirstiest monsters on the planet who exerted their control by making it obvious.   

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The current mainstream parties are violating religious freedoms and imposing dubious ideology.  Canada is a cultural-Marxist-nihilist totalitarian state.  The federal leader won’t even meet with the leaders of a movement that represents a massive proportion of the population that Bloomberg says is in rebellion.  Trudeau should trade oppression tips with Kim Jung-Un.

https://apple.news/A5ild3Y85RJCD1pMObD2Phg

Most definitely violating religious freedoms.  We should have the ability and right to counsel someone who thinks they are gay and suggest, as we believe, that it is a result of sexual confusion.

26 minutes ago, Faramir said:

Most definitely violating religious freedoms.  We should have the ability and right to counsel someone who thinks they are gay and suggest, as we believe, that it is a result of sexual confusion.

Freedom to have a religion, not coerce it onto unconsenting minors.

For consenting adults I might agree, as ineffective/useless as such consel has proven to be.

Though I would say the issue goes deeper in that minors are viewed more as property, as opposed to being given freedom of their own.

3 minutes ago, Nexii said:

For consenting adults I might agree, as ineffective/useless as such consel has proven to be.

Though I would say the issue goes deeper in that minors are viewed more as property, as opposed to being given freedom of their own.

It's the minors who need it.  The medical and psychologist community through in the towel when once they said leaning against ones gender was a mental illness.  They are telling lies to unconsenting minors that its natural to lean against one's gender,

23 minutes ago, Faramir said:

It's the minors who need it.  The medical and psychologist community through in the towel when once they said leaning against ones gender was a mental illness.  They are telling lies to unconsenting minors that its natural to lean against one's gender,

The medical and psychologist community doesn't even understand LGBT. As due to the excesses of psychology in the past, it's taboo today to do research in a proper way. In a sense, they are as belief-based as religion.

10 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Need what?

Nothing - none of my business really outside my own household. I am certainly not interested in counselling any kid.  But my kids I want the freedom to tell my kids that "duh, there are 2 genders".  i would be more hard hitting but the wife has some sort of bleeding heart for the mentally deranged.

45 minutes ago, Nexii said:

One of the hard but I believe necessary teachings of my Catholic education was the practice of youth abstinence, not because it was especially realistic but because it suspends sexual activity at a point in the individual’s young life when they feel a rush of hormones and intense desire both for sex itself and a close emotional connection.   The problem is that it’s very easy to confuse these two forces.   Ideally sex is an expression of love and a more than transitory desire to be with another person.  People often get hurt and disappointed when they feel used and treated like a plaything when they really want that authentic connection.  What’s more, young people may feel a lot of shifting feelings related to identity and orientation.  The worst thing adults can do is start pushing kids to make life changing decisions like having a sex change or getting into a very physical relationship during this tumultuous period.

I do understand the phenomenon of someone feeling like a male in a female body or the reverse.  Such decisions as having a sex change are very serious.  Deciding that you are homosexual is also a big deal.  Basically it shouldn’t be a decision.  It should be who you are.  If you feel attracted to the same sex then that’s what you feel.  That’s your reality, I think, and people should respect that.  What we shouldn’t do is try to make someone be what they aren’t.

Parents should be entitled to raise their children according to their values, as long as they aren’t abusive, and I don’t think the state should mess with child-rearing except where it can’t be avoided, such as when someone has no responsible guardian and must become a ward of the Crown.

Science tells us there are two genders.  Ancient texts support traditional family structures.  However, our modern psychology teaches us that some people don’t feel like their biological bodies and some people don’t feel sexually oriented to the opposite gender.  Making people be what they aren’t can cause suffering.  I’m against suffering.  I believe in God and I think God wants us to prevent harm.

Edited by Zeitgeist

21 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Do you think communicable diseases are the same as being pregnant?

Well the choice to take a vaccine or have an abortion is about consent over one's body.  And the consequence of exercising that right is that in the case of abortion people definitely die, and in the case of COVID vaccines somebody maybe could get sick and then maybe might die.

In fact less than 6 million COVID deaths worldwide have been reported, while about 40 million abortions occur annually worldwide.  In the USA 900k people have died from COVID over the last 2 years, and about the same # of unborn are killed via abortion every year in the US.

So what i'm saying is that anyone who is pro-choice for abortions but anti-choice for vaccines is a damn hypocrite who wants special rights to have the convenience to kill when it's in their self-interests, and also the special right to coerce  others to have medicine injected into their bodies without their full consent despite their right to control their body because it's in their own self-interests.

These people are selfish violent a-holes is what i'm saying.