Should we all be required to swear an oath to the Queen of Canada before voting?

It's a little thing, but one of the problems of this country is that all the little things which build up a community of like-minded people with a shared identity and a shared vision of what their country is and should be have been eliminated. We need to rebuild the sense of identity we had before Quebec politicians like the Trudeaus, Chretien and Mulroney did their best to destroy it.

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

You just proved your ongoing hate for Christianity or Christians once again. 

As much as I "hate" the other religions I included, hmm?  Anyway, it's not that I hate Christians so much as I hate what some people do in the name of their religion, including Christians.  From shaming and shunning people for being gay to jailing or killing them; from expecting the wife to submit to the husband, to beating her or killing her if she does not; from rejecting/shunning nonbelievers to killing them.  People do horrible things in the name of their religion, every day.  Doesn't matter if it's minor - such as telling a woman she invited a sexual assault because of how she dressed; or major - such as killing a woman because she was raped.  Religious people too often think they have a God-given right to control - by whatever means necessary - what other people do, regardless of the damage it does to that person.

Christians are taught in the Bible to be loyal to the government. 

As are Muslims, did you know that?  

Of course this does not mean Christians are bound to agree, support or follow any government or law which is acting in an evil way or contrary to God's written word. 

Same is true of Muslims.

Now, I don't know what Jews/Sikhs/Hindus teach in this regard, but I would not be surprised if it were similar.  

You post to this board about Canada turning into a communist state because of Trudeau/Liberals, and question the loyalty of the government to Canada and to Canada's citizens; you take every opportunity to push the narrative that Canada's leaders are traitors to Canada.  Politicians actually do take oaths of loyalty to Canada; have you ever done so?  Doesn't your first loyalty lie with your God, and not with Canada?   Why shouldn't we be suspicious of people who openly admit that they'll throw Canada and her laws out if it conflicts with their religious beliefs?  

26 minutes ago, Argus said:

It's a little thing, but one of the problems of this country is that all the little things which build up a community of like-minded people with a shared identity and a shared vision of what their country is and should be have been eliminated. We need to rebuild the sense of identity we had before Quebec politicians like the Trudeaus, Chretien and Mulroney did their best to destroy it.

Which was a white anglo saxon identity. That ship has sailed. 

20 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Thoughts?

What exactly is this going to accomplish, other than put Canada another step closer to a totalitarian state?

If you are asked to raise your hand to Hitler, the Queen or any other leader just so you have your basic rights recognised, what kind of message does this send??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aristides said:

What would swearing and oath of loyalty mean? To vote a certain way? To conform to a state  approved dogma? We have laws against treason and other crimes against the state. 

Sure we do, but when was the last person in Canada tried and convicted for treason. They are paper laws only with no substance, they are to vague and nobody has the balls to change them... 

11 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Maybe you and Dougie are paid agents of Russia or China...or the Bloc Quebecois lol.

you forgot me and the  other half of this forum.

19 minutes ago, dialamah said:

As much as I "hate" the other religions I included, hmm?  Anyway, it's not that I hate Christians so much as I hate what some people do in the name of their religion, including Christians.  From shaming and shunning people for being gay to jailing or killing them; from expecting the wife to submit to the husband, to beating her or killing her if she does not; from rejecting/shunning nonbelievers to killing them.  People do horrible things in the name of their religion, every day.  Doesn't matter if it's minor - such as telling a woman she invited a sexual assault because of how she dressed; or major - such as killing a woman because she was raped.  Religious people too often think they have a God-given right to control - by whatever means necessary - what other people do, regardless of the damage it does to that person.

As are Muslims, did you know that?  

Same is true of Muslims.

Now, I don't know what Jews/Sikhs/Hindus teach in this regard, but I would not be surprised if it were similar.  

You post to this board about Canada turning into a communist state because of Trudeau/Liberals, and question the loyalty of the government to Canada and to Canada's citizens; you take every opportunity to push the narrative that Canada's leaders are traitors to Canada.  Politicians actually do take oaths of loyalty to Canada; have you ever done so?  Doesn't your first loyalty lie with your God, and not with Canada?   Why shouldn't we be suspicious of people who openly admit that they'll throw Canada and her laws out if it conflicts with their religious beliefs?  

You have imbibed the worse possible narrative which describes a very small segment of people,  people who were not Bible believers.  I have never met any professing Christians who do the things you claim.  I think you have been reading some trash.  Maybe you are confusing something you have heard of.  People who do those evil things are not genuine Christians.   It is not up to me to spend my time trying to defend Christianity against your lying false narrative.  

I simply point you to what the Bible teaches and it teaches Christians are to do none of those things.

On the other hand, we can find lots of evil taught by other religions.

Yes, my first loyalty lies with God, but God also commands me to obey those in authority in Romans chapter 13.

If an authority commands me to do something which is contrary to what God has taught, then obviously that would present a problem.  Also in a free, democratic society, we are free to disagree with the government and express our views that may conflict with the majority of the population or conflict with government ideology or dogma.  That's what freedom is all about.  If you don't believe in freedom of expression or religion, what are you doing here in Canada?  

3 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Sure we do, but when was the last person in Canada tried and convicted for treason. They are paper laws only with no substance, they are to vague and nobody has the balls to change them... 

What does that have to do with swearing an oath? How would swearing an oath change anything? If they break their oath, what are you going to charge them with other than violating an existing law?

10 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Sure we do, but when was the last person in Canada tried and convicted for treason.

there have only ever been two convictions in Canadian history

one was Louis Riel, the Father of Manitoba

the other was Kanao Inouye of Kamloops British Columbia, convicted of High Treason in the Second World War

he was conscripted into the Imperial Japanese Army, he went on to torture & abuse Canadian prisoners of war

he was executed at Kowloon Hong Kong on 27 April 1947, by hanging

his last words were "Banzai !"

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

1.  Saying words is not the same as 'being loyal'.   

2.  Why the assumption that having dual citizenship means that loyalty to one must be questionable?  Its kind of like having kids: having two doesn't (usually) mean one gets more love and care at the expense of the other.  The only time having dual loyalties would matter is if there were direct conflict between the two countries; at that point, the individual will indeed have to decide their ultimate loyalty.  This idea that an immigrant can't be loyal to their new country is why the Japanese were interred during the second world war.  People should be judged on their own actions, not convicted on the assumptions of others.

3.  Pretty sure a Quebecois nationalist born in Canada who wants the destruction of Canada would not be deterred in their goal, even if they were forced to repeat an oath every four years, or so. Words do not loyalty make and only in the actions of people can their loyalty be determined.

Some Conservatives on this board toss out accusations that liberals/progressives want to (already have) destroyed Canada.   Calling people traitors and disloyal to Canada merely because they have a different political viewpoint seems to me part of the problem of polarization.  Pretty sure that even if all liberal/progressives were video'd taking this oath, those conservatives willing to believe that a different political ideology is traitorous would not be convinced.

Or, to be much more succinct, I don't think taking an oath guarantees loyalty, or would prove anything to people who are determined that certain groups are, by definition, disloyal or traitorous.  

1. I agree just saying words means nothing to the average Canadian. One more loop to jump through, 

2. Dual citizenship is a mistake, look at the evacuation of Lebanon, 50,000 Canadians who lived in Lebanon were evacuated, not counting the ones that did not bother to get on a boat... demonstrates clearly the size of the problem. They are Canadians of convince and contribute very little to our nation, it is used like a get out of jail card.

3. I do believe that liberals/progressive's are more into themselves than what is best of the country. Are they destroying the country NO, but they are not contributing very much to it's survival. i could name 1/2 dozens policies that the liberals have implemented that have brought positive change to the country, i could fill pages that have done nothing except buy votes...I also want to add the conservatives are guilty of this as well.. It seems to be the new fade in the country, everyone is in it for themselves, and Canada as a nation means very little to them... nor does being a Canadian. 

13 minutes ago, Aristides said:

What does that have to do with swearing an oath? How would swearing an oath change anything? If they break their oath, what are you going to charge them with other than violating an existing law?

Someone suggested they could be charged with treason, i was explaining that Canada's charges for treason are hollow, they mean nothing, they are to vague, would not hold up in a modern court of law, we went through all this during Omar court case. 

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

My question stands. The Constitution and Charter exist to guarantee rights and freedoms.

only at the convince of the government, and only if the decide you deserve said rights and freedoms...They are not guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

only at the convince of the government, and only if the decide you deserve said rights and freedoms...They are not guaranteed.

No the Constitution and Charter guarantee them. The Supreme Court decides whether they are being violated.

the Supreme Court of Canada is a joke, nothing but a cabal of Liberal Party of Canada hacks & cronies

burn baby burn, along with the rest of the rotten Confederation

American freedom to overthrow a tyrannical regime, granted by your Creator and no other

the Fenians shall prevail in the end

1 minute ago, Aristides said:

No the Constitution and Charter guarantee them. The Supreme Court decides whether they are being violated.

How many of your constitutional or charter of rights have been broken or suspended during the pandemic, and it was done without debate or through the senate. my statement still holds they are there as long as the government says they are...

Just now, Army Guy said:

How many of your constitutional or charter of rights have been broken or suspended during the pandemic, and it was done without debate or through the senate. my statement still holds they are there as long as the government says they are...

None.

Just now, Army Guy said:

Check again, is freedom of movement a freedom, and yet it was restricted by the provincial and federal government. Is the US border still closed to travel...  

Yet they don't violate the Charter, that is why no challenges have stood up. What people think their rights are and what the Charter actually says they are can differ substantially.