Panic, Ignorance, Shut Up Already

Rue
Message added by Charles Anthony

merged "Fear and the coronavirus 2" into this thread

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

Try thinking about it as distant socializing - makes it feel like we're still in touch.  I see this just about every time I pass another boat and everyone's waving as if to say we're all in the same ocean.

No thanks. I hugged my kids when they were little. I wonder what lessons todays little kids are learning about hugging?

Thanks for going to work today BTW and I should apologize for rubbing your shattering illusions in your face like I did.

That's right, me and the fire fighters, and the doctors and nurses are all going to be out on the front line today. Thanks to these people we will make it. Even a cleaner is a hero today.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 1:54 AM, eyeball said:

get your pious economic ass out there and earn my benefits. 

I do what I must for my family and community, so that they remain safe. But I am not different than many other of our heroes, all those who are working hard to keep our lights on.

Society has deemed it acceptable for us to get the virus.

28 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I do what I must for my family and community, so that they remain safe. But I am not different than many other of our heroes, all those who are working hard to keep our lights on.

Society has deemed it acceptable for us to get the virus.

The government has us in a head space where we are led to believe anything they say is justified because they are saving lives. They may be doing the exact opposite intentionally or unintentionally and this is why people like you will be exposed. Its not acceptable but its inevitable as we humans when making decisions about managing life and death allow our fear of death to distort or rational thinking processes.

• Like 1

The government is not asking us to do anything particularly daunting.  To start, stay home for a few weeks.  They're not asking us to hand our firstborn to the army and our second-born to the navy.  

You're using another straw-man here and pretending the government is asking us to accept anything is justified.  They're not.  The stimulus bill Trudeau tried to pass was a bit of a turd and he overstepped there, but accepting some short-term self-isolation is not the end of the world that you make it out to be. 

The curious thing about this sort of mindset is that on one hand, you're telling us that the fear-mongering over the virus is exaggerated and hyped, but then you're doing the same thing with the theories about the government grasping and about how the sacred "economy" being sacrificed (never to recover I guess?).  That too is exaggerated.  

Coming out of the current crisis, governments will have been served a rude awakening and will be more serious about future preparedness.  It will ultimately be an expensive lesson to learn, but the one thing that western economies continue to do successfully is ignore their problems until they blow up in their face.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rue said:

The government has us in a head space where we are led to believe anything they say is justified because they are saving lives. They may be doing the exact opposite intentionally or unintentionally and this is why people like you will be exposed. Its not acceptable but its inevitable as we humans when making decisions about managing life and death allow our fear of death to distort or rational thinking processes.

I pity those who are now home alone, as cabin fever sets in and adds to fear and worry. People are tense in the lineups at stores. Ordered to stay away from the cashier, to stand behind an X. Dont' move until you are given permission. I've seen some standing in long lineups, extending both in space and time, and they get loopy. The long wait adds to the pressure and fear. Every innhlae in public is another chance to suck in some virus around those poorly fitted masks. They lose it and run away out of the store, leaving the cart with groceris in place in the lineup, unattended. And I mean run... rabbit run. People are edgy and as the virus count goes up will become increasingly rude and aggressive. Until the dam breaks, then shall come a great undoing of man and beast...

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Yes you are. Real hero's don't pat themselves on the back while passing judgement on the people they're helping.

Easy for you to judge us while sitting in your safe space. You get to have the welfare from the hours I work, but you don't get to bitch about it. You do nothing, so STFU.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Easy for you to judge us while sitting in your safe space. You get to have the welfare from the hours I work, but you don't get to bitch about it. You do nothing, so STFU.

I've got lots to bitch about.  Supplies of Heinken and Orville Redenbacher are running out I'm faced with having to make do with Lucky Lager and Jiffy-pop.

And WTF are you doing posting on here at 11:00 in the morning anyway? Get back to work.   

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

The government is not asking us to do anything particularly daunting.  To start, stay home for a few weeks.  They're not asking us to hand our firstborn to the army and our second-born to the navy.  

You're using another straw-man here and pretending the government is asking us to accept anything is justified.  They're not.  The stimulus bill Trudeau tried to pass was a bit of a turd and he overstepped there, but accepting some short-term self-isolation is not the end of the world that you make it out to be. 

The curious thing about this sort of mindset is that on one hand, you're telling us that the fear-mongering over the virus is exaggerated and hyped, but then you're doing the same thing with the theories about the government grasping and about how the sacred "economy" being sacrificed (never to recover I guess?).  That too is exaggerated.  

Coming out of the current crisis, governments will have been served a rude awakening and will be more serious about future preparedness.  It will ultimately be an expensive lesson to learn, but the one thing that western economies continue to do successfully is ignore their problems until they blow up in their face.  

I agree with most of what you said but you are distorting what Often is saying. Discussing government short comings is not fear mongering. Presenting death from the virus as a pretense to prevent questioning of the government is.

1 hour ago, Rue said:

He did not cast judgement on anyone.

Sure he did. 

On 3/25/2020 at 10:18 PM, OftenWrong said:

I know you people are sitting around all day, doing nothing and drinking beer. And I know who is paying for that beer and popcorn as well, hardworking honest people.

I really appreciate your guy's dedication to your Kamikazi human-wave tactics in The War For The Economy but aside from being a lying slacker my cardiologist just told me my last CT-scan shows I'm about .3 mm diameter away from having an alien burst out of my chest so...I guess I'll have to lay off the beer and put less butter on my popcorn now. That'll suck but OTOH I'll probably get to extend my benefits to a longer medical claim!

Oh Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again… 

Just now, OftenWrong said:

Late lunch. What time is it in Ontario, you dimwit 

Same as opening hours at the beer store here.

Are you on another break?  You know there's probably lots of people on the other side of the planet that could work circles around you at a 10th of the cost.

1 hour ago, Rue said:

I agree with most of what you said but you are distorting what Often is saying. Discussing government short comings is not fear mongering. Presenting death from the virus as a pretense to prevent questioning of the government is.

Okay, fair, but I don't think people aren't questioning the government.  Just because you agree with what they're doing doesn't mean you aren't watching them carefully.  Canada seems to be pretty much in lock-step with the rest of the world on trying to deal with the virus, and so far I haven't seen much that causes me concern.  The stimulus bill as it was originally presented was bullshit, but it was amended and now we sit and wait.  

1 hour ago, Rue said:

What about presenting death from this virus as simply the cost of carrying on business as usual to prevent a couple of bad quarterly economic reports?

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Sure he did. 

I really appreciate your guy's dedication to your Kamikazi human-wave tactics in The War For The Economy but aside from being a lying slacker my cardiologist just told me my last CT-scan shows I'm about .3 mm diameter away from having an alien burst out of my chest so...I guess I'll have to lay off the beer and put less butter on my popcorn now. That'll suck but OTOH I'll probably get to extend my benefits to a longer medical claim!

Oh Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again… 

Eye that was sarcasm if you ask me but ask him. . Seriously if you do have alien or any other issues that are serious hey man be well. I would not joke about people with serious issues...seriously ...hope yer ok.

Edited by Rue

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Okay, fair, but I don't think people aren't questioning the government.  Just because you agree with what they're doing doesn't mean you aren't watching them carefully.  Canada seems to be pretty much in lock-step with the rest of the world on trying to deal with the virus, and so far I haven't seen much that causes me concern.  The stimulus bill as it was originally presented was bullshit, but it was amended and now we sit and wait.  

Ok with that too. I agree. I guess what I would like to see are clearer time lines..but that may be unfair to expect. Hey my daughter just put it in perspective and said for me to remember Ann Frank when I get too cranky being locked up. I do think it will sort itself out...

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Eye that was sarcasm if you ask me but ask him. . Seriously if you do have alien or any other issues that are serious hey man be well. I would not joke about people with serious issues...seriously ...hope yer ok.

Bicuspid aortic stenosis...acute stage. Little fuckers been in there growing since I was born too I guess.  It is what it is...I'll just have to train my deckhand to lay me out on the wheelhouse floor if I keel over and do single foot chest compressions while steering the boat home. 

Edited by eyeball
  • Haha 1