Panic, Ignorance, Shut Up Already

Rue
Message added by Charles Anthony

merged "Fear and the coronavirus 2" into this thread

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

With testing for immunity so the immune can get back to work and hold things together long enough for a vaccine.

Yeah, I almost wish I could get the damn thing, so I could get over it, get the t-shirt saying I did, and go out again. 

21 hours ago, Marocc said:

Are they supposed to starve? Maybe they go to the grocery in order to self-isolate.

They are supposed to go straight home and arrange to have groceries etc delivered.  There are agencies equipped to take care of those who don't have family or friends to do that for them. 

3 hours ago, Rue said:

So in regards to specific politicians like Trump, Johnson,  Trudeau, to me they are mouth pieces. I am focused on reading what immunologists are finding day by day as to what may and may not work and why things in South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore are showing where we all must head in the days to come in terms of using a variable and wide ranging approach that properly identifies the contagious and contains them while allowing the rest of society to get back to what we need to do to function.

I have also read some info from purported virologists saying the panic and overreaction must stop. Problem is now how to put the genie back in the bottle, as the mass media sensationalism has the public utterly hypnotized with fear. Some, anyways. But enough let's say that it's serious. I wish more people would speak out in some kind of public forum to help ordinary people get a more balanced perspective.

It does not help when the media takes full advantage of the possible harm such a virus may pose by really laying it on thick, for added drama. Even CBC with the use of scary fonts and headlines such as BANK OF CANADA MAKES ANOTHER EMERGENCY CUT TO INTEREST RATE
Link

Because we need to add another sense of emergency, so it's a good word to use in a headline, for responsible journalism.
</S>

ETA: Or when the spokesman for WHO makes such grave sounding utterances as "WE ARE IN UNCHARTED TERRITORY NOW!" starting wild-eyed and disheveled into the camera. It was like "Apocalypse now! Apocalypse Now!" Someone give this man an oscar please. Better yet put a bag over his head.

But I heard that Johnson in the UK has not ordered closed all their businesses and put so many out of work as we are doing here, and in the US and the EU. That was the case at the start though I haven't been following the UK situation. I know they did recently close pubs but I thought that was all.

Edited by OftenWrong
added section to rant about WHO
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

It does not help when the media takes full advantage of the possible harm such a virus may pose by really laying it on thick, for added drama. Even CBC with the use of scary fonts and headlines such as BANK OF CANADA MAKES ANOTHER EMERGENCY CUT TO INTEREST RATE
Link

Predictably...from your link.

Bank of Canada makes another emergency cut to interest rate

Only a tone-deaf drama-queen would take the time to capitalize it and pretend no one would notice. Either that or you're absolutely terrified.

Edited by eyeball

32 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Predictably...from your link.

Only a tone-deaf drama-queen would take the time to capitalize it and pretend no one would notice. Either that or you're absolutely terrified.

I was talking about the font, but I guess you can't read too good. I did not reproduce the same font they used in my post here. My use of capitals was simply a metaphor...

But hey, I realize you do not "get" things like that given your completely myopic, two-dimensional perspective on most things.

23 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I was talking about the font, but I guess you can't read too good. I did not reproduce the same font they used in my post here. My use of capitals was simply a metaphor...

But hey, I realize you do not "get" things like that given your completely myopic, two-dimensional perspective on most things.

Whatever you say Chief, you're coming thru louder and clearer than you can apparently imagine.

18 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I have also read some info from purported virologists saying the panic and overreaction must stop. Problem is now how to put the genie back in the bottle, as the mass media sensationalism has the public utterly hypnotized with fear. Some, anyways. But enough let's say that it's serious. I wish more people would speak out in some kind of public forum to help ordinary people get a more balanced perspective.

Link

Because we need to add another sense of emergency, so it's a good word to use in a headline, for responsible journalism.
</S>

ETA: Or when the spokesman for WHO makes such grave sounding utterances as "WE ARE IN UNCHARTED TERRITORY NOW!" starting wild-eyed and disheveled into the camera. It was like "Apocalypse now! Apocalypse Now!" Someone give this man an oscar please. Better yet put a bag over his head.

But I heard that Johnson in the UK has not ordered closed all their businesses and put so many out of work as we are doing here, and in the US and the EU. That was the case at the start though I haven't been following the UK situation. I know they did recently close pubs but I thought that was all.

I think some of the problem is that the electronic media lives and dies by ratings.  Once one seized onto an idea/story, the rest just flock to the scene and blather away asking the same people the same questions over and over and over.   Ask enough people enough questions and you can sensationalize paint drying.

I have the great good fortune to know medical people in Canada, China and UK, and try to get a good read from them.  What seems to be a common theme from them is that the Wuhan Virus is not very well understood, and might well mutate faster than we can do vaccines (many Corona virus already familiar due to influenza, SARS, MERS, etc.) and re-infect.  Contributing to the overall mania is the fact that the medical community does not yet know very much about the Wuhan virus.

What scares my UK friends is that their culture is extremely social/sociable and if you clamp down too tight too soon, there might be some kickback at the wrong time.   Further, unlike our rural way of life (I speak from my own perspective here) they don't HAVE the food storage facilities in home for long term isolation.

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

It's a fever for most people, and that is all.

Yes, and some don't even have symptoms. 

It's irrelevant because if you're a vector walking around living life as normal you're 

1) Reckless

2) Selfish

People who don't Social Distance because they don't fear the virus are just prolonging the collective pain because they're contributing to spreading the virus. 

And some young people do die and/or get very sick. So you're also gambling. 

Edited by Boges

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

It's irrelevant because if you're a vector walking around living life as normal you're

You do realize that we are all doing that every day, without knowledge hence we hardly should call normal behaviour reckless or selfish. Many have to work anyway, since a total shutdown and isolation of all people is simply not on. So as long as there are still thousands of people and cards and all the other things going on, it can never completely go away as in 100% no more virus. Or at least not until we stop counting all the viral exposures one by one, down to the last detectable virus itself.

So that means learn to live with it. Live with the virus.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

You do realize that we are all doing that every day, without knowledge hence we hardly should call normal behaviour reckless or selfish. Many have to work anyway, since a total shutdown and isolation of all people is simply not on. So as long as there are still thousands of people and cards and all the other things going on, it can never completely go away as in 100% no more virus. Or at least not until we stop counting all the viral exposures one by one, down to the last detectable virus itself.

So that means learn to live with it. Live with the virus.

And if this gets worse, people going to work in "essential" industries will be next. You'll get to Italy where you can't leave your home unless it's to get food. And the cops will be enforcing it. 

I've been going to work and been very careful on who I interact with. Most people are mindful of this now. 

The big thing is the fact that we're no longer doing things that involve large gatherings. Restaurants, sporting events, movies, church. Those are the things that cause diseases to spread fast. 

The goal isn't to stop the virus, but it's to slow the spread so people don't all get it all at once. This week will be key to seeing if all this works as huge swaths of society have been told to stay home two weeks ago. 

6 minutes ago, Marocc said:

It's true it's mostly not bad for the healthy and kids hardly get sick. Using the word sniffles is misleading though.

Most, but not all. 

And you can still spread the disease which is the real threat. 

Also. . . 

If you're a 20-something that's not afraid of the virus so you'll LIVE YOUR LIFE!.  You get into a car accident and you can't get treatment because the hospital is full of COVID-19 patients. 

Edited by Boges

On 3/29/2020 at 9:57 PM, mowich said:

They are supposed to go straight home and arrange to have groceries etc delivered.  There are agencies equipped to take care of those who don't have family or friends to do that for them. 

If the system works and it has been made known I see no reason why anyone would need to go to the grocery. At the same time that kind of systems always have problems. Such deliveries, unless they are a new system due to the situation, are not planned to be made to that many people. Some of the employees are bound to stop working when they can't show up sick or they can afford to not work at this time. Then they need to make sure they have a ton of stuff in their storages or the groceries the delivery people get the stuff from. Assuming they don't just go to any grocery. The individuals can go to any grocery.

People are still likely to not have the virus when they return. There is no reason to over dramatise it.

5 hours ago, Boges said:

Most, but not all. 

Like the regular flu or like slipping in the winter. Mostly harmless, but people are mortal.

5 hours ago, Boges said:

And you can still spread the disease which is the real threat. 

You should stay at home if you're sick.

5 hours ago, Boges said:

You get into a car accident and you can't get treatment because the hospital is full of COVID-19 patients. 

I don't drive a car. They'd pay me if they didn't treat me and it caused me damage, right?

I didn't hear of the ERs closing their doors yet. When the ambulances stop arriving – that's when I worry. I trust God. If I need help but am not helped, it is because it is good for me.

I also get that when people feel threatened the phenomena called "cacooning" makes people feel safe. 

And I would like to make a plea for a lovely word apparently heading for the ICU - phenomenon. Like criterion it should be on some sort of endangered list.

Seems like the prone position may be better for COVID patients on ventilators:

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/is-facing-downward-better-for-the-lungs-in-patients-with-covid19

In happier news, our government masters have tidied up the COVID page, making it a lot easier to see the main numbers:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html

Edited by SpankyMcFarland