The Battle of Charlottesville

2 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Can you give a cite?  Or even better - a quote?

Moral equivalence is a term used in political arguments or debate. It is an informal fallacy. The phrase describes a kind of indirect proof, but the reasoning is flawed because it distorts issues. It draws comparisons between different things to make a point that one is just as bad as the other or just as good as the other.

Oh, Wikipedia.  I thought a lawyer like you could explain it better than a site in which anyone can post, but whatever.  

Trump made comparisons to the actions - the actions of both sides.  He made no reference to the moral equivalency or beliefs systems of the groups involved.  A vigilante or mob can and usually does have a better belief system than the criminal they're pursuing, but their actions can be just as bad, sometimes worse than those they're against.  We can talk about moral equivalency in everything from old fashioned lynch mobs to the death penalty.  Actions and moral equivalency are two different things. 

44 minutes ago, Omni said:

Trump's words, not any actions, are what amounts to moral equivalency in this case. You don't have to be a lawyer to figure that one out. 

i'm not gonna have you do the shuffle on what you understand - you're an idiot if you believe the media spin - or should I say bigger idiot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

i'm not gonna have you do the shuffle on what you understand - you're an idiot if you believe the media spin - or should I say bigger idiot.

I don't have to shuffle. I saw the videos of what happened, and what led up to those events. Only an idiot could ignore such evidence.

2 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Politicians and business CEO's are terrified of Antifa, and every honest person knows it.

Well, like most people honestly thinking critically about this, I'm pretty sure there are also politicians and CEO's who cheer them.  That said some CEO's and industrialists are well known for their nationalist conservatism, like the sort that supported and propelled to power the deadliest fascist in history - you must mean that type.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Well, like most people honestly thinking critically about this, I'm pretty sure there are also politicians and CEO's who cheer them.  That said some CEO's and industrialists are well known for their nationalist conservatism, like the sort that supported and propelled to power the deadliest fascist in history - you must mean that type.

Maybe a few politicians, I suppose, people like Obama and such.  I'm sure Dr. Frankenstein was proud of his creation at first also.

Thou dost protest too much in this thread. 

I'm no fan of the tactics of the far left. But if you tell me it's a confrontation between Neo Nazis and Far Left groups, I'll pick the far left group EVERY TIME. 

If you're at a protest and you see people who think that Jews are taking over the country and want an "Ethno-State". You should seriously take a look at the company you keep. 

The idea that Trump is only defending the upstanding people that were there to protest a Confederate Statue being taken down is laughable. If your goal was only to protect a General Lee statue then you should have joined the far left protestors in speaking out against people who admire Nazism. 

And Trump's comments this week have really put him on an Island. People on the right have come out to condemn him. If he keeps this up, he'll only have the KKK and the Neo Nazis left to support him.

Edited by Boges

People are entitled to defend themselves and instigators of violence should be condemned no matter which side they are on. However, the denial that Trump and others aren't engaged in moral equivalence is laughable. 

A: Good people do not march with Nazis for any reason.

B: If you lie down with dogs you will get up with fleas, and every other cliche which states you should expect to be associated with the people you associate with.

C: Whether someone is a "moderate" white nationalist or an "extreme" white nationalist, both believe that whites are entitled to a special status in society that no other race can ever attain. The only difference  might be the lengths they are prepared to go in order to attain that status. Arbeit Macht Frei.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Boges said:

Thou dost protest too much in this thread. 

I'm no fan of the tactics of the far left. But if you tell me it's a confrontation between Neo Nazis and Far Left groups, I'll pick the far left group EVERY TIME. 

Really? Well, not me. I'd just stand back and watch and hope they all beat the crap out of teach other. Pass the popcorn.

32 minutes ago, Argus said:

Really? Well, not me. I'd just stand back and watch and hope they all beat the crap out of teach other. Pass the popcorn.

OK fine. That's probably close to my position too. But I'm not going to ever compare a group to a Nazis or stand up for them. 

Edited by Boges

19 minutes ago, Boges said:

OK fine. That's probably close to my position to. But I'm not going to ever compare a group to a Nazis or stand up for them. 

I don't think anyone has stood up for the Nazis. I have to admit that I find the fixation and obsession of the Left on this issue more than a little confusing. Did the existence of Nazis come as a surprise? They've been holding their little parades every now and then for my entire life. The only difference with this one was the incompetence of the police. Oh yeah, there was a murder when some lunatic who had got his blood raging after a day of brawling with leftists drove his car into people. But that's sort of becoming mundane now isn't it? A guy drove his car into people in New York just a couple of months ago, and of course, Barcelona, Nice, London, Paris...

This morning I turned on the news for breakfast. German TV, the BBC, Euronews, the CBC and CTV, and FOX were all about the newest terrorist incident in Spain, the second one, not the first. What was on CNN? A big banner about "Outrage grows over Trump comments about Charlottsville!" Good God. Still talking about it? The Left, in my opinion, is far too easily outraged.

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

I don't think anyone has stood up for the Nazis. I have to admit that I find the fixation and obsession of the Left on this issue more than a little confusing. Did the existence of Nazis come as a surprise? They've been holding their little parades every now and then for my entire life. The only difference with this one was the incompetence of the police. Oh yeah, there was a murder when some lunatic who had got his blood raging after a day of brawling with leftists drove his car into people. But that's sort of becoming mundane now isn't it? A guy drove his car into people in New York just a couple of months ago, and of course, Barcelona, Nice, London, Paris...

This morning I turned on the news for breakfast. German TV, the BBC, Euronews, the CBC and CTV, and FOX were all about the newest terrorist incident in Spain, the second one, not the first. What was on CNN? A big banner about "Outrage grows over Trump comments about Charlottsville!" Good God. Still talking about it? The Left, in my opinion, is far too easily outraged.

Well yeah. Because Trump said there were good Nazis there. 

A lot of the news yesterday about Barcelona was Trump spreading a false story about a General having Muslim captives executed with pig-blood soaked bullets. 

15 minutes ago, Boges said:

Well yeah. Because Trump said there were good Nazis there. 

A lot of the news yesterday about Barcelona was Trump spreading a false story about a General having Muslim captives executed with pig-blood soaked bullets. 

I think what he actually said was that not everybody who was protesting removal of the statue was a Nazi or KKK.