The Battle of Charlottesville

Just now, Wilber said:

That's pretty cynical and I don't think it is true of many people, some of them American rich white men

You're free to believe in the better angels of our nature. Just try not to look shocked as the bayonet goes through your tummy-tum.

Just now, hot enough said:

From a big supporter of war criminals/terrorists/genocides, to a guy that will outright lie/fabricate/state things with no evidence, of what value do you consider your words have?

You thought they were my words. That's awesome!

Four score and....

On 8/17/2017 at 7:27 PM, Michael Hardner said:

I don't think violence is a good way to counter fascists, but I also reject the idea that there is moral equivalence here.

Then you might want to re-think the whole war on terror. If violence won't work here, it won't work there either.

Just now, GostHacked said:

Then you might want to re-think the whole war on terror. If violence won't work here, it won't work there either.

The US Civil War did end with a victory for the Union over the Confederacy. It took four solid years of some of the bloodiest fighting imaginable. Even by so-called modern standards.

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

There are things called books that explain history.  That's why we don't need to send our children to Hitler High to figure it out.

HIstory is written by the winners, and has a slight slant of who are the good guys. History is almost objective in this post-truth era of the Internet. Simply because there is no way for anyone to really vet anything they see online.

Just now, GostHacked said:

HIstory is written by the winners, and has a slight slant of who are the good guys. History is almost objective in this post-truth era of the Internet. Simply because there is no way for anyone to really vet anything they see online.

Not true. Some of the absolute best histories are written by the losers.

4 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Typical DogOnPorch deception. Right out of left field.

Well, now time passed and now it seems
Everybody’s having them dreams
Everybody sees themselves
Walkin’ around with no one else
Half of the people can be part right all of the time
Some of the people can be all right part of the time
But all of the people can’t be ALL right ALL of the time
I think Abraham Lincoln said that
“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours”
I said that.

---Bob Dylan

14 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

You're free to believe in the better angels of our nature. Just try not to look shocked as the bayonet goes through your tummy-tum.

I think the actions of many wealthy people with an interest in preserving history have demonstrated it. Of course they are often at odds with greedy people who have no interest in preserving it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GostHacked said:

On one side of me, I am opposed to the statues in the cities. But on the other side, they should still remain in some fashion.  Put them all in a museum as a reminder of what it represents.

We need to remember history, not wipe it out.

Where will pigeons sit???? Let's rethink this.

8 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

That sounds post.modernist and nonsensical.  Also, doesn't really address the point I was responsible to.

1 minute ago, Wilber said:

I think the actions of many wealthy people with an interest in preserving history have demonstrated it. Of course they are often at odds with greedy people who have no interest in preserving it.

Money greater than good will.