The Battle of Charlottesville

2 hours ago, Wilber said:

Today, no one can claim ignorance of what Nazis are really about.

Oh you innocent you.

You are not taking into consideration how ignorant so many people can be of history, the ability of a startling number of people to believe in conspiracy theories - and thus disbelieve what they read or are told about history, low IQs, and the issue of exaggeration which we have to deal with.

For example, if I am called a racist a lot for having some fairly non-racist beliefs then someone telling me Bob is a racist is not going to be much of an issue to me. If groups can call professor Peterson can be described as a fascist for refusing to use made up gender nouns, then are fascists really so bad? And what are nazis but fascists?

So yes, it is entirely possible to claim ignorance about Nazis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Oh you innocent you.

You are not taking into consideration how ignorant so many people can be of history, the ability of a startling number of people to believe in conspiracy theories - and thus disbelieve what they read or are told about history, low IQs, and the issue of exaggeration which we have to deal with.

For example, if I am called a racist a lot for having some fairly non-racist beliefs then someone telling me Bob is a racist is not going to be much of an issue to me. If groups can call professor Peterson can be described as a fascist for refusing to use made up gender nouns, then are fascists really so bad? And what are nazis but fascists?

So yes, it is entirely possible to claim ignorance about Nazis.

Self inflicted ignorance does not equal innocence.

5 hours ago, Boges said:

And I think the popular opinions is that you are the company you keep. I don't think any respectful person would have themselves seen in public with the KKK or Nazis.

Complete rubbish. Your logic amount so the reasoning, "let's go beat some people's brains out, because they were seen in public with the KKK or Nazis. Popular opinion will support us". Do you get the reason why vigilante justice is unacceptable, and a crime? No matter how repugnant you might find their opinions, you are not entitled to take the law into your own hands.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taxme said:

Today, no one can claim ignorance of what the alt-left fascists thugs are all about either. They are the fascists of today, not the white nationalists. Those fascists are trying to tear down America. They are trying to tear down statues that offend them. Poor babies. That statue hurts my feelings and offends me. Boo-hoo.  

What they want to do is erase history, and destroy a culture.

History is full of good and bad, not one single country has a good and inclusive history.  Our history has brought us to this point and people, BLM, WN's and Antifa and all the other groups can take history any direction they like.  People can learn from mistakes of history, or they can make things worse.  These groups are all making the worst of the situation.  

11 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

History is full of good and bad, not one single country has a good and inclusive history.  Our history has brought us to this point and people, BLM, WN's and Antifa and all the other groups can take history any direction they like.  People can learn from mistakes of history, or they can make things worse.  These groups are all making the worst of the situation.  

That sounds to me like you are trying to make excuses for racism, bigotry in a similar fashion as Trump tries pathetically to do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Omni said:

One doesn't need to use a lot of intellect to interpret your comments. The right wingers are typically thus. 

We all know history!  We all know that the Vikings brutalized the English, that the English brutalized the Irish and Scots, and the English Americans enslaved Africans.  We know many things about history and it's up to those involved to move on...or not!  I'm pretty sure that US history does not glorify slavery and if there is some sensativity to monuments, maybe it's up to the parties involved to rewrite a more accurate account on those monuments or statues, maybe erect some of the people who fought against it.  People both black and white are better served to have those statues in place as a reminder of the past.    

There is a solution that doesn't require teenage marxists tearing down statues and trying to hide the truth.

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

I'm pretty sure that US history does not glorify slavery

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Look at the activities of the people the questionable monuments glorify.

3 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

maybe it's up to the parties involved to rewrite a more accurate account on those monuments or statues

You think trying to rewrite history will solve anything?

5 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

People both black and white are better served to have those statues in place as a reminder of the past.

You think Black kids enjoy going to Robert E Lee High School who's  forefathers may have been enslaved by the man? 

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Look at the activities of the people the questionable monuments glorify.

You think trying to rewrite history will solve anything?

You think Black kids enjoy going to Robert E Lee High School who's  forefathers may have been enslaved by the man? 

1) Schools don't glorify slavery, neither does history

2) No, give more context to the situation on the plaques

3) I don't think it bothered them, until they were told to be bothered.  As I said, keeping the issue alive, keeps people from repeating it.  BTW, How about all the schools and monuments to Democratic racists like Byrd or Wallace?

I never thought of you as a "thinker" per se', but just once, have a look at the big picture.

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

1) Schools don't glorify slavery, neither does history

2) No, give more context to the situation on the plaques

3) I don't think it bothered them, until they were told to be bothered.  As I said, keeping the issue alive, keeps people from repeating it.  BTW, How about all the schools and monuments to Democratic racists like Byrd or Wallace?

I never thought of you as a "thinker" per se', but just once, have a look at the big picture.

A school dedicated to a man who fought to maintain slavery does glorify slavery

Obviously you are not much of a thinker, as you continue to demonstrate.  

27 minutes ago, Omni said:

A school dedicated to a man who fought to maintain slavery does glorify slavery

Obviously you are not much of a thinker, as you continue to demonstrate.  

Do you think that changing schools to "Rosa Parks Elementary" or "MLK High" with satisfy the BLM group?

4 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Do you think that changing schools to "Rosa Parks Elementary" or "MLK High" with satisfy the BLM group?

Why wouldn't it? Celebrating people who sacrificed themselves to thwart racism and bigotry would be a hell of a lot better than celebrating those who promoted it. Don't you think?

1 minute ago, Omni said:

Why wouldn't it? Celebrating people who sacrificed themselves to thwart racism and bigotry would be a hell of a lot better than celebrating those who promoted it. Don't you think?

Because it's deeper than that, because anyone with an IQ over 60 knows it can't and won't end there.

As expected...and predicted by President Trump:

Progressives driving to rid public spaces of statues honoring Confederate leaders have taken pains to distinguish between the rebels and the slaveholding Founding Fathers.

On Thursday, one liberal commentator veered off script and lent credibility to President Donald Trump’s warning that the anti-Confederate movement will not stop with southern Civil War generals like Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson.

“I don’t care if it’s a George Washington statue or a Thomas Jefferson statue, or a Robert E. Lee statue,” commentator Angela Rye said on CNN. “They all need to come down.”

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/begins-democratic-strategist-calls-statues-washington-come/

They will be going after Walt Disney characters too.    Because...like....he was a racist !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

11 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

I'm pretty sure that US history does not glorify slavery and if there is some sensativity to monuments, maybe it's up to the parties involved to rewrite a more accurate account on those monuments or statues, maybe erect some of the people who fought against it.  People both black and white are better served to have those statues in place as a reminder of the past.    

There is a solution that doesn't require teenage marxists tearing down statues and trying to hide the truth.

Do you want context?

"And one thing to think about is, forget about for a moment whatever might have motivated these men to have fought. The fact is, had they won, you would have had an independent nation overseeing the largest and most powerful system of slavery in the modern world."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/bb/shifting-history-confederate-monuments