Trolling - Redux

Smallc

4 minutes ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Unfortunately we have lost intelligent posters. It's amazing how a poster can bring down a forum. 

I know, I've only been here a year and have seen too many people I really liked reading leave.  I don't know why they bothered with new software, this forum is being abandonned, slowly but surely.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Your 'brave and meaningful contribution' primarily consists of telling other posters they have no say in American politics (subtext: don't waste your time talking about it) pointless comments about JT, stupid comments about how Trump can do what he wants.  You don't offer any thought or substance, just digs.  So STFU about "thoughtful cross-border discourse", you have no interest in that at all.  

Even if this were true, why wouldn't equally stupid comments about Justin Trudeau be welcomed and encouraged ?

Why is there a double standard here?  Why so much anger ?   If it's not fun, don't keep doing it ! 

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Even if this were true, why wouldn't equally stupid comments about Justin Trudeau be welcomed and encouraged.  

Why is there a double standard here?  Why so much anger ?   If it's not fun, don't keep doing it ! 

What double standard?  You rarely contribute anything of value, you merely litter threads with digs about how, as Canadians, we are not entitled to express our opinions about American politics.  Nobody but you does that.  

And yeah, its obvious that you find this fun; you'll keep poking and poking till you get the attention you crave.  

Just now, dialamah said:

What double standard?  You rarely contribute anything of value, you merely litter threads with digs about how, as Canadians, we are not entitled to express our opinions about American politics.  Nobody but you does that.  

Not true at all, members are certainly entitled to express their opinions, but so am I.  

My factual contention is/was that only American citizens can legally vote in U.S. elections.

Thousands of U.S. citizens reside in Canada and many other nations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another free strategy tip:   facts can be your friend !

1 hour ago, WestCoastRunner said:

BC is incessant in his trolling of the US politics threads by continuously belittling and trying to stifle responses from Non US posters. It's immature and nauseating to read his troll posts over and over again without providing any kind of substance. 

a lot of posters have left because of the trolling and we are left with alt right posters 

Strange, I find that leftists dominate this forum, many of them making provocative posts just to get a negative reaction, which is trolling. Some are even blatantly rude, almost snarling at times when they post. I don't think there's any alt-right types.

Just because someone says things you find distressing, because they conflict with your own view doesn't make them a troll. I think the poster bush_cheney is one of the best posters here. I find his posts well thought out and he is generally polite. Sometimes he does not come right out with what he means... you have to think a little to figure it out. That might be confusing for those who are not used to that style of posting.

I can't figure out how BC hasn't been kicked off for trolling a long time ago. Seems that's all he's got. However I suspect CA is about as right wing wingy as BC, and that's why. I think anyone here who is not a flaming conservative, and who has arbitrarily had posts removed would agree with me. Being a relatively new guy I will shut up and let the senior members see what they think.

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

I can't figure out how BC hasn't been kicked off for trolling a long time ago..... Being a relatively new guy I will shut up and let the senior members see what they think.

These two thoughts go together....lack of MLW experience.   Members are not typically banned for "trolling"; it takes more serious breaches of forum rules and decorum.  Warnings and suspensions are/were the preferred form of behaviour modification...to the point of entertaining references to Der Kühler by virtual prisoners.

Since the mods would not likely volunteer such information in their own defense, member "BC" has plenty of warnings and cooler time on his rap sheet.    Cracking the code is more fun than whining or complaining about the refs.  Nobody is forced at gun point to stay here. 

25 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

These two thoughts go together....lack of MLW experience.   Members are not typically banned for "trolling"; it takes more serious breaches of forum rules and decorum.  Warnings and suspensions are/were the preferred form of behaviour modification...to the point of entertaining references to Der Kühler by virtual prisoners.

Since the mods would not likely volunteer such information in their own defense, member "BC" has plenty of warnings and cooler time on his rap sheet.    Cracking the code is more fun than whining or complaining about the refs.  Nobody is forced at gun point to stay here. 

So far I have to say that I have noticed the moderating a tad unbalanced. And especially with a certain moderator. I do understand games need refs, and there will always between clashes with refs. I'll just try to carry on and see how it goes.

6 hours ago, Omni said:

So far I have to say that I have noticed the moderating a tad unbalanced. And especially with a certain moderator. I do understand games need refs, and there will always between clashes with refs. I'll just try to carry on and see how it goes.

I think everyone thinks that.  And not in their favour, either!

14 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Strange, I find that leftists dominate this forum, many of them making provocative posts just to get a negative reaction, which is trolling. Some are even blatantly rude, almost snarling at times when they post. I don't think there's any alt-right types.

Just because someone says things you find distressing, because they conflict with your own view doesn't make them a troll. I think the poster bush_cheney is one of the best posters here. I find his posts well thought out and he is generally polite. Sometimes he does not come right out with what he means... you have to think a little to figure it out. That might be confusing for those who are not used to that style of posting.

And that is the bottom line.  The left doesn't want to be disagreed with, they have a strong intolerance for any contrary thought.  Note all the bitching on this thread coming from the left.  

17 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

BC is incessant in his trolling of the US politics threads by continuously belittling and trying to stifle responses from Non US posters. It's immature and nauseating to read his troll posts over and over again without providing any kind of substance. 

Then why do you do it? Put him in your ignore list as I have done.

15 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Agreed. I have a couple of them on my ignore list as it is simply not possible to engage them in discussion without them hurling insults. I recommend you make use of your ignore list.

16 hours ago, WestCoastRunner said:

Why would the mods delete our posts when we try to draw attention to the trolling posts. 

Why are you asking a question which has already been answered by the mods too many times? Calling someone a troll is considered inflammatory. If you think they're trolling ignore them and report them. They have been telling you this for quite some time now.

On 12/12/2016 at 6:32 PM, OftenWrong said:

Thanks for "raising the bar".

We can raise the bar, and we can also prevent people from lowering it by banning the asshats that we know are trolls and shitlords. I've been in conversation with the moderation and I do not have a lot of faith in their ability to actually deal with the trolling. Most of us recognize the real trolls here and no matter how many times that is expressed we still after a couple years have gotten no further than when we started.

I blame the trolls, and I also blame the moderation for not recognizing the trolls and the failure to address the issue properly.

• Forum Admin

New rule folks - no more threads about trolling.

If you have a problem with a thread, another poster or a specific posting, contact a moderator, don't post your complaints in the support forums.

This is the one and only warning.

• Greg locked this topic