Trolling - Redux

Smallc

Once again I would request the private definition of trolling used on this website.  I'll follow with actual definitions:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Smallc said:

Once again I would request the private definition of trolling used on this website. 

Trolling is being disruptive. 

You guys are creative.   The sky is not the limit to how folks can be dishonest or disruptive. 

If you post something inflammatory or speak on behalf of an other poster..... 

.....and somebody asks you to explain...... 

.....then you refuse to explain.....  

.....but tell them to ask somebody ELSE instead because..... 

....you said that somebody ELSE said what you said......

....but there is no record of somebdoy ELSE saying what you said......  

.....then you are trolling. 

That is OK if it happens here or there.   

However, it if is your habit and or it happens too often, we will point it out ask you to stop. 

After that, you get time off to reflect and perhaps ask folks in real life for advice. 

What trolling means for me : to defend an idea insistently without any basis or to claim or to say something without any basis. To keep on telling the same things despite he/she is given valid/logical answers. 

There are some in this forum too.

Edited by Altai

8 hours ago, Charles Anthony said:

Trolling is being disruptive. 

You guys are creative.   The sky is not the limit to how folks can be dishonest or disruptive. 

If you post something inflammatory or speak on behalf of an other poster..... 

.....and somebody asks you to explain...... 

.....then you refuse to explain.....  

.....but tell them to ask somebody ELSE instead because..... 

....you said that somebody ELSE said what you said......

....but there is no record of somebdoy ELSE saying what you said......  

.....then you are trolling. 

That is OK if it happens here or there.   

However, it if is your habit and or it happens too often, we will point it out ask you to stop. 

After that, you get time off to reflect and perhaps ask folks in real life for advice. 

Except there was a record and I showed you that through the report function - twice.

what I should have done was simply quoted her words in response and not said to ask her.  That was my mistake and that's fine, but your personal definition of trolling and randomly locking lines of topic are very disruptive. 

And if this gets me suspended, that's fine, that's your choice - but you were personally trolling the chat room on election night.

Edited by Smallc

All that said, I have decided I will not be returning to post on this website until something is done about the moderation.  I enjoy the political conversation (what's left of it), but I will go elsewhere.  

Thank you you everyone for the interesting conversation.

1 hour ago, Altai said:

What trolling means for me : to defend an idea insistently without any basis or to claim or to say something without any basis. To keep on telling the same things despite he/she is given valid/logical answers.

You mean like insisting Turkey has the world's only free press and that all western media are anti-Turkish propaganda, and that anyone of the tens of thousands of people the Turkish government says is a terrorist supporter deserves to be arrested?

Trolling is a part of internet discussion.  It can't be avoided, we all do it, (only we think we are being clever.  It's the other poster who trolls) and we should all learn to let it roll off us.  It's not a big deal.  Excessively insulting behaviour is dealt with efficiently here, but let's just have fun dealing with trolling.

Edited by bcsapper

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Trolling is a part of internet discussion.  It can't be avoided, we all do it, (only we think we are being clever.  It's the other poster who trolls) and we should all learn to let it roll off us.  It's not a big deal.  Excessively insulting behaviour is dealt with efficiently here, but let's just have fun dealing with trolling.

Reddit is the capital city of trolling on the internet, yet somehow their political forums r/Canada and r/CanadaPolitics manage to moderate their subs just fine. Trolling just doesn't get moderated here.

33 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

Reddit is the capital city of trolling on the internet, yet somehow their political forums r/Canada and r/CanadaPolitics manage to moderate their subs just fine. Trolling just doesn't get moderated here.

Maybe I just don't recognize it.  Do I troll?  Be honest now.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Most everyone loses their temper from time to time, most everyone might throw out an insult or nasty jab from time to time.  That's not really being a troll and if it's isolated it's not a huge problem.  But if you do this consistently as your MO on here then you're trolling.

15 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

I don't think so. Not that I've noticed.

I notice you had the word "Troll" deleted from another thread, after it was used to describe a none too flattering post about the current PM.  That's where I have problems with the term.  I don't regard such posts as bothersome if they describe people I like in that fashion.  It's just someone's opinion, after all.  I don't like Justin Trudeau, particularly, so I didn't mind that at all.  But if it had been something derogatory about Stephen Harper, who I did like, I wouldn't have worried about it too much. 

2 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Most everyone loses their temper from time to time, most everyone might throw out an insult or nasty jab from time to time.  That's not really being a troll and if it's isolated it's not a huge problem.  But if you do this consistently as your MO on here then you're trolling.

I suppose so, but that's where I have the problem.  I don't see that.  Notwithstanding the occasional MrCanada type poster, who doesn't usually last too long.

And even them, I find more amusing than irritating.

3 hours ago, Altai said:

There are some in this forum too.

You can't call somebody a troll for being stubborn or having a strong opinion or even being a bit ignorant.  If they debate respectfully there's nothing wrong with that.

4 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I suppose so, but that's where I have the problem.  I don't see that.  Notwithstanding the occasional MrCanada type poster, who doesn't usually last too long.

And even them, I find more amusing than irritating.

Well there's at least one person who trolled constantly who doesn't post here anymore for whatever reason. His name rhymes with Faldo.  Constant disrespect and insults. Hey!

1 minute ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Well there's at least one person who trolled constantly who doesn't post here anymore for whatever reason. His name rhymes with Faldo.  Constant disrespect and insults. Hey!

Yeah, I disagreed with pretty much everything he said.  And these---> :lol: are extremely annoying, but still, the place is poorer without him.  Just for the fun of reading his conversations on Climate Change, for one thing

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

@bcsapper You don't like :)?  That's so  :(!    I think with enough exposure, you'll come to :wub: these cute little faces.  I'm :D to help you with that.  :lol: :P

Oh no, just these---->:lol:.  They are a method of prodding for a reaction for a couple of posters on here.  Especially the one MG almost named. The rest are fine.:)

Edited by bcsapper

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Yeah, I disagreed with pretty much everything he said.  And these---> :lol: are extremely annoying, but still, the place is poorer without him.  Just for the fun of reading his conversations on Climate Change, for one thing

I agree....every Muhammad Ali must have a Joe Frazier.   I try to use the emoticons sparingly now, knowing that they are a trigger for some folks.

6 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You can't call somebody a troll for being stubborn or having a strong opinion or even being a bit ignorant.  If they debate respectfully there's nothing wrong with that.

Stubbornness is also a kind of trolling because its an illogical move which is done to disturb someone. Strong basis makes an opinion "strong". The opinion is not strong as long as you dont back it up with valid/logical evidences and as I say always, the logic based on the same informations does not vary from person to person, its the same for everyone.