Alberta Election May 2015

You mean, like every other government?

No. of course not. This is not like every other government. Read the candidate biographies. They are very similar to the Orange wave in Quebec last fedewral election, with the critical distinction that the NDP under Layton then Mulcair did not actually have to make any decisions.

Her immediate and real handicap is the lack of experience of her candidates, and selection from that group for Cabinet. I'm not talking only about lack of experience in whatever area the Cabinet post holds. That comes with the territory. It is the lack of experience in any kind of running business operations involving a lot of money and a lot of staff. Few even have supervisory experience.

Ministers run large businesses. It is far more than an ideological undertaking.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. of course not. This is not like every other government. Read the candidate biographies. They are very similar to the Orange wave in Quebec last fedewral election, with the critical distinction that the NDP under Layton then Mulcair did not actually have to make any decisions.

Her immediate and real handicap is the lack of experience of her candidates, and selection from that group for Cabinet. I'm not talking only about lack of experience in whatever area the Cabinet post holds. That comes with the territory. It is the lack of experience in any kind of running business operations involving a lot of money and a lot of staff. Few even have supervisory experience.

Why would you assume that running a private sector business is adequate preparation for running a government ministry? That's a flawed premise.

As for supervisory experience, Ministers don't have much of a role in that; their staff is supervised by their Chief of Staff, the civil service by their Deputy Ministers.

The civil service takes direction from the Premier and cabinet, but they ultimately are the ones who do the actual work of the government. In other words: they run things.

Edited by Black Dog

I wish the NDP luck. They, and Alberta, will need it. This will mean that nobody with any experience in governing is now in control. Candidates who had run expecting to lose and only hoping to build their resumes are now in power. Governing is a complicated process and there is going to be a steep learning curve.

Wow...my thoughts exactly. Regardless of how you feel about the NDP, the simple fact is that when the election was called a month ago there was no one who thought the NDP stood a chance...not even the people they had running. I know for a fact that the young lady who took our riding was a last minute throw in just to give the PC incumbant some opposition. And she won!. Heck...she's still in university.

I have to wonder if Notley made a bunch of outlandish claims as to what she would do in the hopes of keeping the PC's accountable but yet never once thinking she would get in and have to honor these claims. It should be interesting.

Wow...my thoughts exactly. Regardless of how you feel about the NDP, the simple fact is that when the election was called a month ago there was no one who thought the NDP stood a chance...not even the people they had running. I know for a fact that the young lady who took our riding was a last minute throw in just to give the PC incumbant some opposition. And she won!. Heck...she's still in university.

I have to wonder if Notley made a bunch of outlandish claims as to what she would do in the hopes of keeping the PC's accountable but yet never once thinking she would get in and have to honor these claims. It should be interesting.

That's a problem when one party is in power too long. It ain't healthy in the long run. In BC we are in a similar boat.

Prentice wins his seat then turns around and quits an hour later... he should have to pay for a by-election!

It shows what kind of character the man has... he wanted a coronation, not to serve his province.

Stephen Carter, who ran the campaigns for both Mayor Naheed Nenshi and former PC Premier Allison Redford, says the outgoing premier is doing a disservice to the people who voted for him.

"I've never seen someone walk away from the seat that they were just elected in to," he said. "And the people that voted for him, the thousands of people who voted for him, have some questions that are going to need to be answered."

Carter says Prentice is abdicating his responsibility to the electorate by walking away so swiftly.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jim-prentice-resignation-as-mla-too-fast-strategist-says-1.3063084

Edited by The_Squid

We've had this discussion before around the expertise of the car sales men and chiropractors etc that run Canada. The upshot was that anyone who could form a campaign team and win an election would be more than qualified to govern.

I disagree. When Harper first won, after many, many years of Liberal government he was faced with a definite lack of new talent. He formed his governing circle around Clement, Flaherty and Baird, former cabinet members in the majority Harris Cabinet in Ontario. McKay and a few others also had experience in the opposition.

And Prentice sulks and fades away.

I did respond to you this morning on this, with an image of Sideshow Bob being hit by a rake, but it was deleted. No complaint, but I didn't wan't you to think I had igmored your comment.

I disagree. When Harper first won, after many, many years of Liberal government he was faced with a definite lack of new talent. He formed his governing circle around Clement, Flaherty and Baird, former cabinet members in the majority Harris Cabinet in Ontario. McKay and a few others also had experience in the opposition.

I think any lefty who can overthrow a right-wing government that's been in power in the most right-wing part of the country for almost half a century probably has some talent. This took more than just good luck and bad-will.

I think the solution for the new NDP government is simple.....to borrow from Bob Rae's Government, during the first caucus meeting, ask all those that own a suit to stand.......then swear in your cabinet ;)

--------

Meanwhile, in downtown Calgary:

http://poorwilliam.net/pix/22gialongstreet.jpg

Edited by Michael Hardner
image removed

You should see the TSX.

TORONTO — Energy stocks led the Toronto stock market to a triple-digit drop Wednesday as investors weighed the potential impacts of the election of a majority NDP government in Alberta.

TSX tumbles after NDP victory in Alberta

Edited by Michael Hardner
image removed

You mean, like every other government?

lol, right?

WE can't have common people making up the government and voting on our laws. By golly, it should be made up of the bourgeois class. The proletariat will run things into the ground! *puffs on cigar* *adjusts monocle*

Let's be honest. This election was a vote against the PCs, not a vote for the NDP. Voters were angry, and in an anti-incumbent mood. And for good reason, the PCs haven't found a competent person since the departure of Klein.

Prentice wins his seat then turns around and quits an hour later... he should have to pay for a by-election!

It shows what kind of character the man has... he wanted a coronation, not to serve his province.

This was a completely classless move. They elected him as their MLA and he throws it back in his constituents' faces because if he can't be the boss he's taking his ball and going home. Now his constituency has to vote again.

I thought it was hilarious!

As did I when I got it as an attachment from my brother in Edmonton.........be it PC headquarters or the offices of any major corporation that moved to Alberta to take advantage of the lower tax rates found in the Kingdom of Ralph........I'm certain the soon to be recently vacated office towers in Calgary can be repurposed into mass homeless shelters for the influx of former energy sector workers ;)

Let's be honest. This election was a vote against the PCs, not a vote for the NDP. Voters were angry, and in an anti-incumbent mood. And for good reason, the PCs haven't found a competent person since the departure of Klein.

The Wildrose Party is a vote against the PCs but remaining conservative. This was something else entirely.

I'm certain the soon to be recently vacated office towers in Calgary can be repurposed into mass homeless shelters for the influx of former energy sector workers ;)

Good idea! It'll get them by until the equalization payments start rolling in.

The markets will get over it. After the knee jerk reaction, they will get back to doing business because that is what they do.

Without a doubt, once the energy industry and corporate headquarters move to Regina and Vancouver, the markets will rebound ;)

The Wildrose Party is a vote against the PCs but remaining conservative. This was something else entirely.

Not at all. Albertans clearly didn't see them as a viable option. Nor should they. This was an election to send a message to the PCs. They'll be back in office 4 years from now.

This was a completely classless move. They elected him as their MLA and he throws it back in his constituents' faces because if he can't be the boss he's taking his ball and going home. Now his constituency has to vote again.

The NDP deserve a chance after the way the P.C party treated the voters of Alberta. I am not a fan of the NDP political stance but I will say the P.C party needed a good whopping.

Prentice leaving his seat shows how petty the party has become and it needs a complete rebuild before they can pick up whatever is left after the next four years.

Wonder what Quebec will do without Alberta's money?