Alberta Election May 2015

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. Albertans clearly didn't see them as a viable option. Nor should they. This was an election to send a message to the PCs. They'll be back in office 4 years from now.

And boy did they send them a message. Could be the end of the PC party for a lot more than 4 years. You may see whats left of the PC crossing the floor to the WR just to keep a hand in.

Edited by On Guard for Thee

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

fp0507_spcomp-big.jpg?w=620&h=508

Mhm ... Seems like the Financial Post is playing visual tricks with the offset graphs .

This week's tax tumble is ... well ... still above March and January and December and October ...

Blame it on the NDP? :lol:

Edited by jacee

You mean the NDP didn't really trounce Harper's Conservative base? :lol:

That would also be an exaggeration. The NDP will almost certainly not destroy Alberta....nor will they destroy Harper.

Only if they believe they have to. They are in business to do business, not make statements.

Right, but the NDP promised to alter the current royalty rate, in addition to raising corporate tax rates...............If they keep their promise and with the current volatility in the energy sector, smaller local companies will fold and the larger companies will divest investment capital in Alberta (say goodbye to marginal fields), choosing to invest in other markets..........its simple, the oil companies just close the gates on their leases and wait out the NDP as the Province will surely stagnate and the NDP Government (like those in other Provinces) will be four and out in 2019, after all lease holders are aloud 5 years of inactivity on held leases.......

They threatened to do this when Stelmach toyed with screwing around with royalties in '07.......and he recanted in a healthy market.....just this morning, American investment houses are already warning off clients to Alberta oil........hence on a somewhat healthy day for energy across the board, Albertian companies were subject to a sharp sell-off.......

To prevent this, the new NDP Government will have to recant on their election promises.........and fast, like within the next several months fast, or watch remaining investment flow into Northern BC shale and Saskatchewan oil sands.

Not at all. Albertans clearly didn't see them as a viable option. Nor should they. This was an election to send a message to the PCs. They'll be back in office 4 years from now.

They'll be lucky if they exist as a party four years from now.

As did I when I got it as an attachment from my brother in Edmonton.........be it PC headquarters or the offices of any major corporation that moved to Alberta to take advantage of the lower tax rates found in the Kingdom of Ralph........I'm certain the soon to be recently vacated office towers in Calgary can be repurposed into mass homeless shelters for the influx of former energy sector workers ;)

None of the measures proposed by the NDP would threaten Alberta's status as Canada's lowest tax jurisdiction. Wishful thinking on your part here.

Right, but the NDP promised to alter the current royalty rate, in addition to raising corporate tax rates...............If they keep their promise and with the current volatility in the energy sector, smaller local companies will fold and the larger companies will divest investment capital in Alberta (say goodbye to marginal fields), choosing to invest in other markets..........its simple, the oil companies just close the gates on their leases and wait out the NDP as the Province will surely stagnate and the NDP Government (like those in other Provinces) will be four and out in 2019, after all lease holders are aloud 5 years of inactivity on held leases.......

They threatened to do this when Stelmach toyed with screwing around with royalties in '07.......and he recanted in a healthy market.....just this morning, American investment houses are already warning off clients to Alberta oil........hence on a somewhat healthy day for energy across the board, Albertian companies were subject to a sharp sell-off.......

To prevent this, the new NDP Government will have to recant on their election promises.........and fast, like within the next several months fast, or watch remaining investment flow into Northern BC shale and Saskatchewan oil sands.

I think cooler heads will prevail and thay will learn to live with each other. That will mean atitude adjustments on both sides. Companies are going to think twice about moving their head office to Vancouver with some of the highest real estate costs on the planet and where a future NDP government is a real posibility. Energy companies enjoyed doing business in what had become pretty much a one party state with a government that did their bidding. They can't expect that anywhere else.

Let's be honest. This election was a vote against the PCs, not a vote for the NDP. Voters were angry, and in an anti-incumbent mood. And for good reason, the PCs haven't found a competent person since the departure of Klein.

You are dead on here. People here were so pissed with the PC party that it didn't matter who was running for the NDP. Take for example the young lady who won the seat in my riding. She is a 22 year old university student that was working on Notley's campaign who got thrown into the mix after the NDP couldn't find someone to run. She didn't even attend the publich forum and yet she still got voted in despite her obvious lack of experience and her no-show at the forum. She was also running against a two time PC incumbant. Definitely an emotional vote....not logical.

The other riding in my area had something similar. Two former mayors for our County were running for WR and PC but yet the vote went overwhelmingly to the retired school teacher who no one knew. It honestly didn't matter who was running and the vote was going NDP. I get the point that people needed to prove but now we are stuck with inexperienced and from what I can tell, incompetent people running our government.

The Wildrose Party is a vote against the PCs but remaining conservative. This was something else entirely.

A lot of people that I spoke with viewed the WR to be the same as the PC after the famous floor walk. They feared that if they gave the WR too much power then a coalition would happen. For most, the WR was not option as it could still work out to be a vote for the PC.

I think cooler heads will prevail and thay will learn to live with each other.

I don't think it will be as bad as the PC supporters make it out to be but it certainly won't be as good as the NDP fans say it will be. It is easy to pick apart leaders from the cheap seats but much different when you are in charge.

The other riding in my area had something similar. Two former mayors for our County were running for WR and PC but yet the vote went overwhelmingly to the retired school teacher who no one knew. It honestly didn't matter who was running and the vote was going NDP. I get the point that people needed to prove but now we are stuck with inexperienced and from what I can tell, incompetent people running our government.

Yep, what we really need is a permanent professional political class. Set the age limit at 45, require a certain net worth threshold be met before you're allowed to run. :rolleyes:

A lot of people that I spoke with viewed the WR to be the same as the PC after the famous floor walk. They feared that if they gave the WR too much power then a coalition would happen. For most, the WR was not option as it could still work out to be a vote for the PC.
Boy you guys sure don't give Alberta voters much credit.
Anyway, one thing I haven't seen touched on is that the NDP likely got a bump from people who voted PC last time to keep out the Wildrose.
Edited by Black Dog

Yep, what we really need is a permanent professional political class. Set the age limit at 45, require a certain net worth threshold be met before you're allowed to run. :rolleyes:

You see no problem with a person being elected after she had zero intention of running and is currently in school which begs the question of how will she actually be able to do her job while going to school.

I have no problems with age rather I have an issue with someone who had little/no desire to be in this positon nor did she have any experience to earn her the spot. Our local conservative PC candidate for the PC party is young guy, in his 20s too but has been working towards a politcal career for a while now.

Interestingly enough....the Alberta NDP wiped their website after winning. I was trying to look at something on their platform but its no longer there.

http://www.albertandp.ca/platform

I know its only conspiracty thinking but I do wonder how many things Notley said under the assumption that she had no chance of getting in. It will be interesting if she changes anything.

You see no problem with a person being elected after she had zero intention of running and is currently in school which begs the question of how will she actually be able to do her job while going to school.

As someone who believes in a healthy democracy, I don't have a problem with it. If she fails to do a good job representing her constituents, they'll turf her next time. That's how it works.

I have no problems with age rather I have an issue with someone who had little/no desire to be in this positon nor did she have any experience to earn her the spot. Our local conservative PC candidate for the PC party is young guy, in his 20s too but has been working towards a politcal career for a while now.

Right wingers are funny. Distrust government and politicians, but only want career-oriented politicians to represent them.

As someone who believes in a healthy democracy, I don't have a problem with it. If she fails to do a good job representing her constituents, they'll turf her next time. That's how it works.

Heatlthy democracy requires you pick the best candidate. Its not just pick whoever and hope they do ok. That is why they campaign and try to prove they can do a good job. In this example she barely did that and still got in. If you don't think that's scary then I don't know what is.

Right wingers are funny. Distrust government and politicians, but only want career-oriented politicians to represent them.

Right wingers? You think the thought that people should be qualified and earnestly desire to be in a posiiton is a right wing comment? LMFAO! Let me know when you're hiring....I have a few great candidates for you then! LOL

My point is that this person was a last minute replacement who had no interest of garnering the seat before being forced into it. She didn't even show up to the public forum. And you think I'm wrong for questioning her qualificiations?

Heatlthy democracy requires you pick the best candidate.

No it doesn't. If it did, the bar for entry into politics would be a lot higher. Who decides who is the "best" candidate anyway?

Its not just pick whoever and hope they do ok. That is why they campaign and try to prove they can do a good job. In this example she barely did that and still got in. I

Was this kept secret from voters?

If you don't think that's scary then I don't know what is.

And what's your solution?

Right wingers? You think the thought that people should be qualified and earnestly desire to be in a posiiton is a right wing comment? LMFAO! Let me know when you're hiring....I have a few great candidates for you then! LOL

The only qualifications for political office in this country are being at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen. Would you have it otherwise?

My point is that this person was a last minute replacement who had no interest of garnering the seat before being forced into it. She didn't even show up to the public forum. And you think I'm wrong for questioning her qualificiations?

You're not making a point, you're just venting.

Edited by Black Dog

The NDP deserve a chance after the way the P.C party treated the voters of Alberta. I am not a fan of the NDP political stance but I will say the P.C party needed a good whopping.

Prentice leaving his seat shows how petty the party has become and it needs a complete rebuild before they can pick up whatever is left after the next four years.

Wonder what Quebec will do without Alberta's money?

Quebec doesn't get Alberta's money. That's a fundamental misunderstanding of the way transfer payments work.

No it doesn't. If it did, the bar for entry into politics would be a lot higher. Who decides who is the "best" candidate anyway?

You pick the best candidate of those running. When someone doesn't show up to the forum and has no experience showing that she is qualified, then she is not the best candidate.

Was this kept secret from voters?

Somehwhat...yes. She was announced late and never came to the public forum. Having said that, she could have posted on her site that she had no interest in politics and yet people would have still voted for her because they just wanted to vote for NDP as it was the anti-PC vote. Most of the signs in my area didn't even have the local candidates name on it...they just said NDP and mentioned Rachel Notley. Again....a trained monkey could have ran and won as long as it was wearing orange.

And what's your solution?

This was an extreme event in my mind so I don't think there needs to be a solution. Voters that usually vote are more educated and are more interested in voting in MLA's who are properly fit for the position (which doesn't mean cagy, old businessmen). This time voter turnout was really high with young voters just looking to make their voice heard. In future elections people (young and old) will go back to assessing the candidates based on what they offer assuming there isn't as much debacle at the top.

The only qualifications for political office in this country are being at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen. Would you have it otherwise?

Again...this election is an anomoly. Any other election would not have an unqualified person beat out other qualified candidates unless there was ulterior motives such as removing the party in power.

You're not making a point, you're just venting.

My point is very clear. You just can't seem to comprehend basic logic.

Canada will soon be like Cuba, China, North Korea, Laos, Vietnam and Venezuela.

How so? Is the USA going to send in the CIA to straighten things out, to create death squads?

Is the USA going to carpet bomb cities, towns and villages?

Will canadians have generations of deformed children from USA Agent Orange or depleted uranium?

Will the USA murder 13 percent of Canadians, like it did in the north of Korea, to save them from oppression?

Will the USA mount terrorist actions against canada, institute illegal and amoral embargos, assassinate political leaders, ...?

Will the USA fund and train folks like you to rape, torture and murder Canadian families to discourage them from expressing their chosen political rights?

No??!! How come? Why do all the poor people, the poor countries of the world get to have all the fun?

I do not think that going from a right wing majority directly to a left wing majority is a good idea - or vice versa. I personally believe in minority governments and I think Albertans might also have preferred an NDP minority. When a whole bunch of new people take over with a majority for 4 years, there really is no safety valve. In a minority, some outrageous or really radical and bad legislation is proposed, the opposition can force an election, stop the legislation and allow the voters to make their decision - again.

If the opposition is wrong, the majority comes back stronger. If the opposition is correct, then the legislation fails and we have a new government.