"This is what happens to racists in Canada"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2811543/This-happens-racists-Canada-Filmmaker-left-bleeding-playing-role-Islamophobe-social-experiment.html

1414526843202_wps_2_Canadians_React_to_O

A video experiment has shown most urban Canadians will leap to the defence of a Muslim person singled out for abuse, even in the wake of the country's recent Islamist terror attack.

One angry resident of Hamilton, Ontario, punched a man playing the part of an Islamophobe having a go at a man wearing Muslim-style clothing at a bus stop.

He was left bleeding from his nose for the part he played in what the YouTube filmmakers called a 'social experiment'

My question upon reading this was whether it was real or a rosy view of the country, projected onto a single incident. What do you think ?

Certainly, according to this survey, only 1/6 of Canadians disagree that Canadas multicultural makeup is one of the best things about this country.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/research/por-multi-imm/sec02-1.asp

I am not surprised. Those people in the video were not anonymous and were prepared to be accountable for their words and actions - unlike anonymous opinion boards. Xenophobes and bigots in our society are dealt with by the vast majority of Canadians just the way these folks in the video. When you are held accountable for your overt racism then you pay the price.

The views on this board are obviously not an indicator of the views of the vast majority of the Canadian public.

Good for the Canadian public!

IF one is a level-headed compassionate person, of course, one would go to the defence of another who is being "bullied" because of their origin. The citizens out in a Alberta , clean off writings of a Mosque, because it was the right things to do. Some people are not tolerable to certain groups.

Are we encouraging assault now?

Indeed...assault and battery is more valued than freedom of expression Charter rights ? Interesting.....

You guys are terrible trolls. Just awful.

Anyway, let's not pretend that this is really representative of how people would react in this kind of scenario. I've seen a lot of incidents like this where people just pretend not to see what's going on.

Edited by Black Dog

Anyway, let's not pretend that this is really representative of how people would react in this kind of scenario. I've seen a lot of incidents like this where people just pretend not to see what's going on.

If this wasn't fake I'd imagine dude with the bloody nose would be able to press charges. Police never want people to ever take matters into their own hands.

My question upon reading this was whether it was real or a rosy view of the country, projected onto a single incident. What do you think ?

I think you can't possibly extrapolate feelings based on a single incident.

Or you'd think Texas was the most gay friendly place in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHb0OE_pcE

Can you please let us in on why you think this particular individual is an "unapologetic racist"?

None really. This individual appears to have been treated badly through no fault of his own. But the person who posted the link was making a general comment about racism in Canada. Given that context it was more than appropriate to point out that racism is a two way street and the biggest racists in Canada today are native activists. Edited by TimG