Tim Hudak and the incompetence of the Ontario PC's

John Tory was both likable and very competent (aside from that issue). If not for the faith-based schooling issue, he'd have won in a landslide, but unfortunately that's a good example of how quickly a campaign can run off the rails by not staying on message and carefully watching what you say.

'Likability' also isn't all there is to the story. Kathleen Wynne isn't particularly likable. She's an uncomfortable speaker herself and that's compounded by an atrocious smile and a face only a mother could love. She doesn't have much more charisma than Hudak. What she does have, however, is enough common sense not to say anything particularly stupid and a campaign team far more in touch with the voters and reality.

Your assessment of Wynne mirrors my own. Her speeches are painful to watch... she's unfocused... rambling... ugh...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly that was not the case. I see no want for change in the province.

62% voted for someone other than the Liberals.

38% is not a vote of confidence for their agenda. Keep in mind that the FPTP system only creates the illusion of "overwhelming support".

38% is not a vote of confidence for their agenda. Keep in mind that the FPTP system only creates the illusion of "overwhelming support".

Another argument for electoral reform.

I have an acquaintance who is a teacher. Last night she said "you're probably going to be disappointed in me - I didn't vote". In all seriousness, she asked if I was voting for Rob Ford. As flabbergasting as it might seem, she did not know who was running for premier. Funny thing is, in many respects, she's pretty smart. Go figure.

But they got by far the biggest "vote of confidence" than any other party. They even picked up more of the popular vote and more seats this election.

Only 5% more than the Conservatives.... that's not really much of a margin...

I have an acquaintance who is a teacher. Last night she said "you're probably going to be disappointed in me - I didn't vote". In all seriousness, she asked if I was voting for Rob Ford. As flabbergasting as it might seem, she did not know who was running for premier. Funny thing is, in many respects, she's pretty smart. Go figure.

Glad she stayed home. It's far more irresponsible to be uninformed and go vote than to be uninformed and not vote. If you're going to be apathetic please don't choose voting day to be your one day to give a shit.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

hey now! Doesn't that same angle get played against Harper Conservatives at the federal level?

hey now! Doesn't that same angle get played against Harper Conservatives at the federal level?

Yes. I play it regardless of the winner, if that is the case. Sometimes the truth hurts! haha

-------------------------------------------------

Sorry MG.... 7.4% difference... still not a large margin. And certainly it is false to say that 38% of the electorate = a clear mandate and clear support for the party.

Edited by The_Squid

While the demeanor of the leaders probably did have a serious effect on the outcome I believe it had a lot to do with the policies. Hudak made no secret that he was another Mike Harris. He believed in the same policies. I think many voters assumed that there would be the same results; strikes, closures and general battles between the private and public sectors. The voters were not prepared to pay that prices. I think they voted for stability as they saw it.

I believe that the NDP never had a chance when Horwath turned down a budget which satisfied the NDP philosophy. The only argument she could give was that the Liberals were liars and would not do what they said they would do. Also, the main focus was the " plant scandal" but the PC's and NDP were on record to also cancel the deal.

Hudak is gone and Horwath will soon follow. A clean slate for Ontario and new choices for the next election. Let the campaigning begin.

Ain't democracy lovely?

Got to have to agree that the Hudak policies were the ultimate nails in the coffin that killed him.

Horwath and Hudack have both forgotten that Ontario is now a have not province thanks to the federal conservatives!

I disagree with your comments about Horwath not supporting the liberal budget, Horwath from my understanding isn't going out without a fight.

But she spread the seeds of her demise when she started moving the party further to the right. Long before this election happened.

WWWTT

Yes. I play it regardless of the winner, if that is the case. Sometimes the truth hurts! haha

-------------------------------------------------

Sorry MG.... 7.4% difference... still not a large margin. And certainly it is false to say that 38% of the electorate = a clear mandate and clear support for the party.

It is because the have broad support amongst the most places in the province.(Same with the Harper Tories, the Liberals only currently have any support in the Atlantic, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, the CPC have the rest)

The Tories can win Southwestern Ontario ridings by 70% all they want, the Liberals won every large city in the province, they picked up suburban seats that had been longtime Tory strongholds and even took some downtown Toronto seats from the NDP.

By any meaningful standard it was an overwhelming victory for the Libs.

Edited by Boges

Looking at the electoral map of Ontario

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/06/12/ontario-election-results-2014-riding-by-riding_n_5485842.html

it bodes ill for a united province. The Liberal support continues in the large population areas around cities. The NDP continue support in the North and the Tories in the suburbs and farms. I do not know of any government that could develop a policy or program that would satisfy all of those areas. I wish Kathleen Wynne lots of luck. She is going to need it.

Since Wynne the first woman Premier of Ontario, I like it to see all three parties be represented by women, so maybe Elliot could be the leader of the PC.

Why? You a sexist? You hate men?

I haven't been impressed by the other two. Nor have I been impressed by any of the other female premiers we've had in the past.

Glad she stayed home. It's far more irresponsible to be uninformed and go vote than to be uninformed and not vote. If you're going to be apathetic please don't choose voting day to be your one day to give a shit.

Her vote would have been no less meaningful than people that just show up and vote ideology... which is something like 70 percent of the electorate.

Theres a very small "swing vote" that actually look at policies and vote their conscience instead of party or ideology... Everybody else might as well stay home, it would save a pile of money and make no difference to the outcome.

They won the election - and people get the government they deserve. I hope I'm wrong but it really does look like we're continuing our journey down the long, dark hole of debt. It was sad to see a colour coded breakdown of the ridings - all blue across the province with one big clump of red all around Toronto. I hope one day to see a better mix - a party with policies that appeals to rural AND city. For now, Toronto rules the province.

The concern trolling of Hudak and the PCs from people that would never vote Conservative, even if their life depended on it is amusing. Unfortunately, Hudak's lack of political acumen, and poor campaigns will cost us in the pocket book. Higher taxes, higher energy prices, sluggish economy, high budget deficits, and a growing debt. Unless Wynne changes course this time.

I hope one day to see a better mix - a party with policies that appeals to rural AND city. For now, Toronto rules the province.

The Liberals, by far, had the most widespread support in the election. They took northern rural ridings, they took Toronto, they took the suburbs of Toronto, they took smaller urban communities...pretty much everything except for southern ontario farmland and the smattering of DT Toronto and armpit communities/neighborhoods that went to the NDP. The Tories took what, like 2 or 3 urban ridings?

Toronto rules the province because over half the population lives there or nearby. That's just how it is. Any party that wants to win is going to have to compromise with that fact. That doesn't mean you have to pander to Toronto (plenty of people still voted Conservative in Toronto). That just means you're not going to stand a chance running AGAINST the beating heart of the province.

It will be interesting in the federal election in 2015, if Toronto still backs the Tories from the last election. They have done many changes with social programs, like the CPP and OAS , increase payroll taxes like EI among other things. The media keeps saying they are going to take that surplus and shower it in their ridings, so Toronto and Alberta will get most of that surplus. I think they should pay down the debt instead of buying their votes.

That ignores, however, how many economists, lawyers, large business owners or career public servants (people who've never needed to worry about their jobs) who DO get elected and who DO connect well with voters.

Being an economist doesn't make it impossible to being in touch with the electorate.

Breakdown of party occupations from CBC:

profs.png