Tim Hudak and the incompetence of the Ontario PC's

So the election is over now and the Liberals predictably won. I can't say I predicted the majority, but I'm not at all surprised either.

From the very beginning, this was an election that should have been impossible for the Liberals to win. We saw billions wasted on scandals, horribly implemented and expensive/ineffective green energy policy, a bloating public service sector and massive deficits with no real plan to tackle them. The Liberals had so much crap piled up that even a light gust of wind could have buried them.

What happened instead was pure comedy. Imagine Kathleen Wynne left standing under a 20 foot pile of teetering manure. In drives dopey Tim Hudak on a bulldozer, ready to shove the pile over on the hapless Wynne. Certain that she has no chance to escape, Timmy Hudak drives full-speed into the pile, grossly misreading which way it was leaning and toppling it over on himself. Kathleen laughs, relieved that someone has dealt with all of that manure and glad that she's now safe.

The whole election unfolded like a cartoon.

Tim Hudak was an obvious dud in the last election. He couldn't connect with voters and he couldn't capitalize on what should have been an easily winnable election. It wasn't a matter of experience. It was a brutal combination of voters not liking him, not trusting him and not liking what he had to say.

In 2011, he ran on a fluffy campaign of "Change" (thanks Obama). Unfortunately, he didn't have the charisma to drive such a vague message home, and it floundered in a string of gaffes. Going after new immigrant tax credits in Toronto, where the largest share of Canada's immigrants live, was a PERFECT way to cement himself as a villain in that city. On top of that, it wasn't even an issue that Ontario voters were concerned with, so not only did he earn the mistrust of Toronto and minorities in general, he also managed to showcase his campaign of "Change" was full of change that voters didn't even want or care about.

Fast forward to 2014 and you have Tim Hudak (2.0). He's a better public speaker. He has a platform that voters can connect with, and he's making every effort to deliver his message clearly, honestly and consistently. Except none of that was actually the case.

Although technically he was a better public speaker this time around, he was still poor overall. His folksy and well-rehearsed debate performance didn't come off as genuine and his promise to resign after eight years (two full terms) if he didn't meet his job targets was laughable. Every voter saw it for the empty promise it was.

The Liberal record was so poor, however, this was still a winnable election for Hudak if he could communicate a sensible and honest platform. It is, after all, always about the economy, so presenting a job creation platform was certainly one that could resonate with voters. Incredulously, however, the Ontario PC's came up with a double-dose of stupid by promising not only 1,000,000 new jobs (easily discredited simply by knowing Ontario's unemployment rate and population) but also of CUTTING 100,000 public sector jobs. Needless to say, this seemingly confusing contradiction left the average voter baffled. At the same time it gave his opponents something solid to attack him with.

The Liberals and their union supporters took this gift from the Heavens and proceeded to dismantle any credibility Tim Hudak had left. 1,000,000 jobs was a lie, regardless of how you spin the numbers or terminology. Even if those numbers made sense, promising to cut 100,000 public sector jobs as part of your job-creation strategy is so painfully dense from an image perspective that you can only shake your head in wonder.

At the end of the day, voters were presented with an uncomfortable and unlikable leader shouting obviously dishonest slogans, making proclamations that voters found not only confusing, but also downright scary.

Good riddance to Tim Hudak, and hopefully good riddance to the brass at the Ontario PC party.

Edited by Moonbox

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PC's were insane to keep Hudak on. The day he lost the election in 2011 against McGuinty he should have resigned. He was a proven loser, I said it back in 2011 when he lost and they decided to keep him on. If the gas scandal never happened Hudak would have run against McGuinty again this election, but why? PC's tried Hudak, he lost, it would be logical to let a different leader to take a shot. They say insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result...

That said, I'm not sure even Jesus Christ as PC leader could stop the Ontario Liberals.

I really believe that the PCPO is suffering from life long politicians who have never been connected to what it is to be a citizen in the regular world. People with economics degrees who don't identify with reality. They will blame unions... But it was an internal problem.

If anyone from the PCPO is listening.

Next time, campaign on grass roots conservatism aimed at helping the little guy and sail to a victory.

Aiming at helping big corps with a 30% tax reduction while planning to fire 100000 frontline workers as the start of creating 1000000 jobs huge optics problem.

I really believe that the PCPO is suffering from life long politicians who have never been connected to what it is to be a citizen in the regular world. Part of that is their wealthy base, part of it is the trend of being a career politician.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Well I said in the Election thread a blue coatrack could've won this thing, well Wynne thoroughly trounced that "not-a-coatrack". I believe the error by the party elite was the thinking "we can't dump Hudak, with this minority we could have an election call tomorrow, and no one will vote for a new leader." They would've voted Christine Elliot a "super" majority 2 days on the job.

Every voter whose IQ is not lower than normal level can see Tim Hudak is a liar and then he or she will conclude that Hudak's IQ level must be lower than normal or he must be a druggy like Toronto mayor because he has made such ridiculous and pathetic job cutting/creating lies.

So the next move of Ontario PC is to do some IQ tests and drug tests to make sure their next leader is a normal person, then the PC may stand a chance of winning next election.(I'm sure the Liberal Party will, as usual, let its voters down :lol:)

By the way, the Liberal Part, eithter federal or provincial, also needs some IQ tests to make sure their leader's IQ isn't too much higher than normal Canadian voters' level so they can still follow his or her thoughtway.

Edited by xul

So the election is over now and the Liberals predictably won. I can't say I predicted the majority, but I'm not at all surprised either.

From the very beginning, this was an election that should have been impossible for the Liberals to win. We saw billions wasted on scandals, horribly implemented and expensive/ineffective green energy policy, a bloating public service sector and massive deficits with no real plan to tackle them. The Liberals had so much crap piled up that even a light gust of wind could have buried them.

Good riddance to Tim Hudak, and hopefully good riddance to the brass at the Ontario PC party.

Well said......what a bunch of dolts. I can only hope that the Liberals were lying and they will ditch their last budget, trim government, control/freeze wages and get the deficit down - otherwise our credit rating will take a hit and the death spiral will continue. We are in bad shape and we're overdue for a dose of Dr. Buckley's....it doesn't taste good - but it works.

SO.....who will be the next leader of the PC and does that person have to be a red tory??

They've tried Red Tory and Blue Tory, both have failed. Gotta wonder if John Tory really could have won if he hadn't had a weird policy about Faith-based schools.

What appears to matter most is a "likeable" candidate.

They've tried Red Tory and Blue Tory, both have failed. Gotta wonder if John Tory really could have won if he hadn't had a weird policy about Faith-based schools.

What appears to matter most is a "likeable" candidate.

John Tory was both likable and very competent (aside from that issue). If not for the faith-based schooling issue, he'd have won in a landslide, but unfortunately that's a good example of how quickly a campaign can run off the rails by not staying on message and carefully watching what you say.

'Likability' also isn't all there is to the story. Kathleen Wynne isn't particularly likable. She's an uncomfortable speaker herself and that's compounded by an atrocious smile and a face only a mother could love. She doesn't have much more charisma than Hudak. What she does have, however, is enough common sense not to say anything particularly stupid and a campaign team far more in touch with the voters and reality.

I don't find her likeable either, but I don't like her politics. She certainly was more likeable than one Sandra Pupetello.

People didn't like Hudak, I didn't mind him at all. I think people let their opinions of one's politics cloud their view of how "likeable" someone is.

I'm sure people think Harper is a distant monster, while find JT a nice engaged man. Others, me included, think Harper is a strong capable leader and find JT to be a ditz.

Edited by Boges

If I were Hudak, I'd blame the Fords for tainting the conservative brand and forcing moderates far away from anyone who's ever been associated with them.

That's a poor excuse and demonstrably untrue. Rob Ford may be an idiot and people may not take him seriously, but the whole time Toronto was watching him unravel he was still enjoying strong support simply because he was sticking to his mandate and because the city was tired of David Miller type spending. The PC's were also enjoying strong support prior to the election, and steadily dropped in the polls and then were obliterated in the election, and Rob Ford had nothing to do with that.

This wasn't a matter of Stephen Harper or Rob Ford tainting the Conservative brand. This was Tim Hudak running a comically incompetent campaign and not having a clue what Ontario voters outside of rural Southern Ontario cared about.

I really believe that the PCPO is suffering from life long politicians who have never been connected to what it is to be a citizen in the regular world. People with economics degrees who don't identify with reality. They will blame unions... But it was an internal problem.

In Tim Hudak's case, maybe. Your point would also be supported by Michael Ignatieff's spectacular crash and burn.

That ignores, however, how many economists, lawyers, large business owners or career public servants (people who've never needed to worry about their jobs) who DO get elected and who DO connect well with voters.

Being an economist doesn't make it impossible to being in touch with the electorate.

Edited by Moonbox

Anyone think that Hudak will run for the feds? Apparently there some of the older MP's retiring from what I've been told.

I would laugh, but the federal tories took on that incomprably sleazy and incompetent Julian Fantino, so I suppose where their judgement goes anything could happen.

Anyone think that Hudak will run for the feds? Apparently there some of the older MP's retiring from what I've been told.

No. He'll hold his riding in Ontario as an MPP and disappear quietly, hopefully never making himself a visible part of the overall party again.

People didn't like Hudak, I didn't mind him at all. I think people let their opinions of one's politics cloud their view of how "likeable" someone is.

I'm sure people think Harper is a distant monster, while find JT a nice engaged man. Others, me included, think Harper is a strong capable leader and find JT to be a ditz.

You're not a swing voter and you take an interest in Canadian politics. Most people (as in +90%) are at best only minutely interested in what's going on at Parliament Hill and Queen's Park. The vast majority of the electorate literally does NOTHING more to make up their mind on who they'd vote for by the TV commercials they're forced to sit through while watching The Big Bang Theory and maybe the odd clip on the morning TV news while they're eating their cereal.

When these barely interested voters make up their minds, it's not on the basis of understanding of who stands for what and what they plan to do. It's on whether or not the mish-mash of media images (probably for a combined total of 10 minutes worth of slogans, TV clips and commercials) made a good or bad impression them. One of my best friends was over for dinner last week and we talked about the election. He sometime likes to talk politics but doesn't really follow them or make any effort to stay informed, and I usually just keep quiet and listen. Anyways, my friend HATED Dalton McGuinty and was seemingly outraged by all the wasteful spending over the last 10 years. He used to speak of how good things were when Mike Harris was in charge.

When we talked about this election however, he said he was voting for Kathleen Wynne. Why? He just didn't like Hudak. "He's such a dweeb." were his exact words. Billions of dollars of wasteful spending, higher hydro bills and a sinking credit rating were all overshadowed by doltish country 'charm'.

While the demeanor of the leaders probably did have a serious effect on the outcome I believe it had a lot to do with the policies. Hudak made no secret that he was another Mike Harris. He believed in the same policies. I think many voters assumed that there would be the same results; strikes, closures and general battles between the private and public sectors. The voters were not prepared to pay that prices. I think they voted for stability as they saw it.

I believe that the NDP never had a chance when Horwath turned down a budget which satisfied the NDP philosophy. The only argument she could give was that the Liberals were liars and would not do what they said they would do. Also, the main focus was the " plant scandal" but the PC's and NDP were on record to also cancel the deal.

Hudak is gone and Horwath will soon follow. A clean slate for Ontario and new choices for the next election. Let the campaigning begin.

Ain't democracy lovely?

Edited by Big Guy

Just found a list of PC that could run... MP Raitt, MP Clement. MPP MacLeod, MPP Christine Elliot and MPP Vic Fedeli. probably Clement, Elliot and maybe Raitt having the most chance. Thoughts?

I don't like any of them.

Edited by Moonbox

Just found a list of PC that could run... MP Raitt, MP Clement. MPP MacLeod, MPP Christine Elliot and MPP Vic Fedeli. probably Clement, Elliot and maybe Raitt having the most chance. Thoughts?

The federal MP's are mostly former Ontario Mike Harris people who were already rejected before the McGuinty era. I think the PC's will be looking for a more moderate leader. Personally, I would like to see John Tory come back. Those far right who levered John out of the leadership are to blame for this last result. The PC's need to clear the their house of those too far right ideologists.

Tony Clement has all the charm and personality of a loan shark.

The PC's were insane to keep Hudak on. The day he lost the election in 2011 against McGuinty he should have resigned. He was a proven loser, I said it back in 2011 when he lost and they decided to keep him on. If the gas scandal never happened Hudak would have run against McGuinty again this election, but why? PC's tried Hudak, he lost, it would be logical to let a different leader to take a shot. They say insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result...

That said, I'm not sure even Jesus Christ as PC leader could stop the Ontario Liberals.

No, any reasonably personable guy with a reassuring manner would have done it. Ontario was ready to change, and had had enough of the Liberals. Hudak, however, had no charm and no charisma, and never established trusth with the public. Even conservatives like myself disliked him and questioned his campaign tactics.

But you have to bear in mind that it's much harder for a party which calls for austerity to get into power than one which promises champaign and chocolates for everyone. When you start out with the fact almost a third of the voters pay no taxes, you're really behind the eight ball when you start talking cutbacks. That one third don't give a damn how high taxes get since they don't pay any. They will always vote for the party which promises them more goodies.

In order to get around 40%, which is what you need for a majority government, an austerity party needs to get about 57% of the vote from taxpayers (the 70% who pay taxes). That's very hard to do, especially when you have the Liberals promising to be much more careful with taxpayer dollars and to balance the budget... eventually.. easily... with no damage or harm to anyone.

Edited by Argus

Ontario was ready to change, and had had enough of the Liberals.

Clearly that was not the case. I see no want for change in the province.

Everyone's trying to find reasons for why Hudak lost. The Liberals are an absolute powerhouse in Ontario, especially Toronto and Ottawa. That's a huge obstacle. They were elected by Toronto/GTA and Ottawa, period. Hudak made some few mistakes, but didn't run a terrible campaign, same with Horwath. Conservatives were not going to win this election.

BTW "charm and personality" wasn't going to win this election. Wynne has the charm of a dirty mop and looks like Orville Redenbacher.

Orville+Redenbacher.jpg

Edited by Moonlight Graham

and the names of possible Harper Conservative cabinet ministers being thrown around as replacements for Hudak... which made some sense in a minority context. Can't see Baird, Raitt, Clement... going through a 4-year wait for the next Ontario election.