Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't resist his obvious trolling how can you hope to follow the rules to ignore his more nuanced and/or ignorant postings?

You think he knows he's trolling? I think he really believes this stuff he's writing, but then being a 'leftie' I'm probably just dumb and gullible, wide-eyed and believing everything someone says.

You think he knows he's trolling? I think he really believes this stuff he's writing, but then being a 'leftie' I'm probably just dumb and gullible, wide-eyed and believing everything someone says.

No he's no different than BC. He has serious thought out posts occasionally; yet when challenged on his xenophobic topics reverts to trolling to distract. At least he only introduces his cultural generalizations when initiated by someone else. It's truly a gift when "Murica" is introduced when the topic is "tangerines".

Edited by Bob Macadoo

WCR's post needs to be addressed here.

Regarding WCR's assertion that you are not permitted to speak up against bigotry: this is untrue.

The moderators would never prevent expression of ideas on principle, assuming we're in the realm of legal and ethical communication. What IS prohibited is name-calling of 'bigot' in cases where it's not acknowledged that the person is a bigot.

If you care so much about bigotry that you want to speak up against it then you should want to take the time to explain why bigotry is wrong. Name-calling doesn't achieve that, it just starts a flame war. So if you care about bigotry, then use arguments to explain why others' arguments are bigoted rather than taking the easy way out.

Which begs the question, why aren't you falling for what Argus says?

Thanks! I'm excited to be helping out, Ike.

A few points... this will be on a trial basis. I won't even have super-powers. I have been asked by Mike and Charles to help promote good discussion, discourage people from bad behavior, and generally be a snitch and goody two-shoes.

I'd like to start the ball rolling on this by inviting everyone to tell us how they spent their Christmas break. Ike, why don't you share first?

-k

A few points... this will be on a trial basis. I won't even have super-powers. I have been asked by Mike and Charles to help promote good discussion, discourage people from bad behavior, and generally be a snitch and goody two-shoes.

I'd like to start the ball rolling on this by inviting everyone to tell us how they spent their Christmas break. Ike, why don't you share first?

-k

I spent it painting flies pink like progressive and then picking their wings off. :ph34r:

Congrats on the gig! I look forward to your first PM telling me I have to rephrase something!

Hey Kimmy, congrats or condolences, whichever you'd prefer. :). I spent Xmas visiting sister from Egypt, son, daughter and grandkids, niece and her kids, and am currently on a ferry to visit another sister. I cooked a lot, baked a lot and ate too much. Pretty fine Christmas all round.

-k

I don't take breaks. This must be a highlight of your life, Kimmy. Facilitator of an internet forum . WHOA!!!!! Gives me goose bumps. Its's something, along with being a well known Hollywood celebrity that will elude me in life. Shucks.

I don't take breaks. This must be a highlight of your life, Kimmy. Facilitator of an internet forum . WHOA!!!!! Gives me goose bumps. Its's something, along with being a well known Hollywood celebrity that will elude me in life. Shucks.

La pendule fait tic-tac-tic-tic

Les oiseaux du lac pic-pac-pic-pic

Glou-glou-glou font tous les dindons

Et la jolie cloche ding-dang-dong

Mais... boum!

Quand notre coeur fait boum

Tout avec lui dit boum

Et c'est l'amour qui s'éveille!

WCR's post needs to be addressed here.

Regarding WCR's assertion that you are not permitted to speak up against bigotry: this is untrue.

The moderators would never prevent expression of ideas on principle, assuming we're in the realm of legal and ethical communication. What IS prohibited is name-calling of 'bigot' in cases where it's not acknowledged that the person is a bigot.

If you care so much about bigotry that you want to speak up against it then you should want to take the time to explain why bigotry is wrong. Name-calling doesn't achieve that, it just starts a flame war. So if you care about bigotry, then use arguments to explain why others' arguments are bigoted rather than taking the easy way out.

This post is more about you defending your decisions then about me responding to posts that I disagree with. Edited by WestCoastRunner

-k

A few months ago I messaged Greg with the deplorable state of the moderation on this site, after a post of mine was deleted, then reinstated, then again deleted as were several posts by other members complaining there was nothing wrong with it. Perhaps enough of us have been complaining about the haphazard moderating that something was finally done.

Either way, I think any help you can give will be a big improvement on the 'moderating' team.

My "facilitator" duty is to set a good example for other members. In this case, setting a good example means ignoring such obvious troll bait. Sorry, bro.

-k