Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question. Being derogatory towards politicians can't be against the rules, based on many posts on here, so what terms can one use for JT?

No, I'm not refusing to answer - I'm answering clearly: We will not enforce grammar rules on MLW.

@moderatorMichael: if as you say, 'Junior, Jr.' is allowed, given you are not enforcing grammar, if one steps outside the bounds of supposed grammar enforcement, if one actually consults the MLW rules (as quoted below), given Justin Trudeau does not identify himself as "Trudeau Jr.", it begs the question how this is allowed! Please advise - thanks in advance:

Do not use diminutives or character substitutions in proper names that are not recognized by the original person to whom the reference is being made. For example, Prime Minister Stephen Harper does not identify himself as Stevie therefore, it is unacceptable to identify him as Stevie. Likewise, Paul Martin does not identify himself as Mr. Dithers, therefore, it is unacceptable to identify him as Mr. Dithers. In the discussion forums, such infractions will be considered as third-party insults.

That's a good question....Prime Minister Harper and President George W. Bush were not afforded any such respect for derogatory terms/names.

So what has changed because of Justin Trudeau ?

It's in the rules and guidelines and has been so for quite some time with Paul Martin as an example.

PM Harper and President Bush were referred to with "derogatory" terms long after PM Martin's tenure. Here is a "Shrub" example from 2009:

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/13402-the-harperobama-meeting/#entry390375

Is it OK to refer to PM Trudeau as "Shrub" ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

"Bush Jr." and "Bush Sr." were used as terms here with no complaint - that's the precedent we followed in determining whether this term was pejorative.

I'm sorry you don't agree but we do have to rely on past practices for consistency, in order to try to be objective about such things.

In fairness, there were 2 George Bush's. There are not 2 Justin Trudeau's.

I think I've already made my point.

which one? That you don't agree with the moderator that generational suffixes are constructs subject to grammar rules (just chosen not to be enforced as stated by the moderator)... cause you lose that one. Or was it your 'tit-for-tat' rationale presented. Since you opted to single out my past improper naming of George Bush as 'frat-boy Shrub', everything else is fair game? That point? Cause here's the thing... I've received warnings in the past for breaking the MLW rule against using non-proper names; names which the related individual doesn't recognize or go by. Earlier in this exchange the moderator spoke to precedent - surely, MLW rules set the precedent... wouldn't you think?

Justin Trudeau and Pierre Trudeau. Not so hard, is it?

Well then, from now on I'll expect you, cyber, Waldo and Smallc to type out either "Justin Trudeau" or "Pierre Trudeau" in full. Just so there is no misunderstanding. No 'Justin", no "JT" and certainly no "Trudeau Jr." because those are disrespectful.

Well then, from now on I'll expect you, cyber, Waldo and Smallc to type out either "Justin Trudeau" or "Pierre Trudeau" in full. Just so there is no misunderstanding. No 'Justin", no "JT" and certainly no "Trudeau Jr." because those are disrespectful.

You go right ahead and expect anything you like. Good luck with that.

Why isn't Trudeau sufficient......do you somehow think when you are complaining about Syrian refugees we'll think your spite is directed at Dust & Bones Pierre? At least with the Bushes...Bush's they are both still alive.

Why isn't Trudeau sufficient......do you somehow think when you are complaining about Syrian refugees we'll think your spite is directed at Dust & Bones Pierre? At least with the Bushes...Bush's they are both still alive.

I couldn't give a good god damn what he is called. The lefties outrage or discomfort over this is a joke and I'm treating it as such.

Is it ok to call him an eco marxist? I dont know if that means anything, how about a communist? It's probably not true though, how about a grown man with a child's intellect? Anyway, all I know is here, and all over, wild eyed leftists had and still do refer to Harper as a dictator, or fascist, or both, i would be a little surprised if some of the very same people up in arms about "Jnr" hadn't ever done it. Of course while neither may be true, one is an insult to a man, the other to millions who suffered under and were murdered by actual dictators, so if you are one of those people who had done it and is now complaining, you have no credibility, and you should pull your head out of your arse.

Edited by poochy