What was the last movie you watched?

Moonlight Graham

• 2 months later...

Last one I watched was Dark Knight Rises, with the Bane character. A friend has been bugging me for months to watch it, and when I caved in, I was not impressed. Overall I gave it a 6.5, a 7 at best. Bane's performance was crap as was Batman, the one character that did steal the show for me was Catwoman played by Anne Hathoway. The movie could have been an hour shorter and it still would have gotten the job done. It dragged on in points.

The audio for Bane was redone after the theatrical release as it seemed to be too low or not prominent enough. But they went the other way and made it TOO prominent with the DVD release. Terrible audio mastering as Bane's voice felt out of place whenever he spoke. It did not mix well with the rest of the audio.

Fury Road is the best action film of about the last 25 years if not all time. It's good on so many levels from the judicious use of dialogue thereby relying on the action to tell the story to the cinematography to the limited use of CG and instead relying on practical effects. Even the limited use of music in order to allow the sounds of the machines to set the tone for a lot of the scenes. Miller also created a ton of symbolism with the characters leading the chase. It's just extremely well done and deserves every bit of praise it has been getting.

Edited by cybercoma

John Pilger on why the Oscars are a con

This year's Oscar nominations are a parade of propaganda and stereotypes.

BY JOHN PILGER PUBLISHED 11 FEBRUARY, 2010 - 07:09

Why are so many films so bad? This year's Oscar nominations are a parade of propaganda, stereotypes and downright dishonesty. The dominant theme is as old as Hollywood: America's divine right to invade other societies, steal their history and occupy our memory. When will directors and writers behave like artists and not pimps for a world-view devoted to control and destruction?

I grew up on the movie myth of the Wild West, which was harmless enough unless you happened to be a Native American. The formula is unchanged. Self-regarding distortions present the nobility of the American colonial aggressor as a cover for massacre, from the Philippines to Iraq. I only fully understood the power of the con when I was sent to Vietnam as a war reporter. The Vietnamese were "gooks" and "Indians", whose industrial murder was preordained in John Wayne movies and left to Hollywood to glamourise or redeem.

I use the word murder advisedly, because what Hollywood does brilliantly is suppress the truth about America's assaults. These are not wars, but the export of a gun-addicted, homicidal "culture". And when the notion of psychopaths as heroes wears thin, the bloodbath becomes an "American tragedy" with a soundtrack of pure angst.

http://www.newstatesman.com/film/2010/02/pilger-iraq-oscar-american-war

Another attack on America ? In the movie thread ? An article based on the Oscars ? In mid-May ? And the 2010 Oscars ? Why ?

The truth is not an attack, Michael. It's like science.

Of course one brought up on this steady diet of propaganda is going to resent the truth.

2010, 2015 or 1930s, it's all the same relentless mishmash of lies.

Look at the glorification of whatever his name is Kyle, the American war criminal. How many millions of Iraqis are dead because of USA war crimes and America is fetishizing about a piece of nothingness who killed women and children.

Had the Germans made movies, post WWII, like the propaganda that the USA movie industry continuously pumps out, the USA would have bombed them into oblivion.

You don't even notice the propaganda, it's that insidious. Every US politician, every time they open their mouths, it's "god bless the USA"; this great country; or a million other pat phrases/memes.

There's no god that would ever consider blessing such a vicious country.

As John Pilger said, from the Philippines to Iraq, (1898 to 2010), and if he was doing an update to now it'd be from the Philippines to Ukraine or Syria or Libya or god knows which country is next.

Mad Max: Fury Road... good looking remake...

I don't think it's a "remake", as it's a completely different story. The setting and Mad Max character are shared with the original 3 movies, but it's a different story and a different continuity (ie, it's not a sequel to events in the original 3 movies). I think they call this a "franchise reboot".

Fury Road is the best action film of about the last 25 years if not all time. It's good on so many levels from the judicious use of dialogue thereby relying on the action to tell the story to the cinematography to the limited use of CG and instead relying on practical effects. Even the limited use of music in order to allow the sounds of the machines to set the tone for a lot of the scenes. Miller also created a ton of symbolism with the characters leading the chase. It's just extremely well done and deserves every bit of praise it has been getting.

I'm really excited about seeing it, but I got strong-armed into seeing Avengers: Age of Ultron instead last week.

One thing I think is neat is that it's the original creator of the Mad Max series, George Miller, at the helm. Even after a successful career that has gone everywhere from "Babe" the talking pig, to "Happy Feet", to documentaries and TV, he's come back to Mad Max after 30 years.

Another thing I think is neat is that I have read they used a minimal amount of CGI, in favor of doing as much live-action film as possible. When you watch this, you're watching real working machines being destroyed, and real living stunt-people risking life and limb for your amusement. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

So next time I get to choose the movie and we're definitely going to Fury Road.

As for Avengers: Age of Ultron, it was ok. My favorite aspects of it were James Spader as the voice of Ultron, and Chris Hemsworth as Thor, particularly in the down-time scenes when they're just hanging out. Thor, God of Thunder, is a fearsome sight to behold. But Thor, good-natured bro, is a guy I'd love to have a beer with. I think the scene where the Avengers unwind at a party and take turns attempting to lift Thor's hammer as a drinking game was my favorite in whole movie. The action sequences were generally quite exciting as well.

I did feel like some parts of the movie dragged. The part of the film where they rest and regroup at Hawkeye's home was kind of dull and didn't really feel like it went anywhere. I also wasn't really feeling the romance between Natasha and Dr. Banner, and the time the movie spent with those two together generally felt kind of wasted. I don't think it was wretchedly awful like Tauriel the elf and Kili the dwarf in the Hobbit movies, but it wasn't great either.

I liked Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, and was less enthusiastic about the Vision. For some reason I had assumed the Fox "X-Men" franchise had the rights to the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch characters, particularly given that Quicksilver appeared in "X-Men: Days of Future Past" last year.

-k

kimmy, go see Fury Road before it leaves theatres. Go out of your way to see it if you have to.

Also, it's not so much a reboot and it's not a different continuity either. I'll give you no spoilers here because this is literally the first 30 seconds of the film, Max is haunted by his past. His past played out in the previous films. This movie is part of the same universe and same continuity. The film isn't completely CGI free. There are some impossible shots, particularly landscapes that are clearly CG. I believe they said it's 80% CG-free.

Anyway, see it. It's top shelf.

kimmy, go see Fury Road before it leaves theatres. Go out of your way to see it if you have to.

Also, it's not so much a reboot and it's not a different continuity either. I'll give you no spoilers here because this is literally the first 30 seconds of the film, Max is haunted by his past. His past played out in the previous films. This movie is part of the same universe and same continuity. The film isn't completely CGI free. There are some impossible shots, particularly landscapes that are clearly CG. I believe they said it's 80% CG-free.

Anyway, see it. It's top shelf.

Worth seeing in 3D........I agree that it to isn't quite a reboot, and would fit in between the first Mad Max and Road Warrior if they want to go that way with the planned sequels.........it did pay homage to all three original movies though, if it goes in the reboot direction.

I liked how Miller recast Hugh Keays-Byrne aka "toe cutter" as Immortan Joe, much like his use of the same actor that played the gyro-captain as the Jedediah pilot in Thunderdome.......its also been suggested one of the next films will include the back story of both Immortan Joe and Furiosa, with both Keays-Byrne and Theron set to return.

Tom Hardy has also signed on for 3 more films, so this is going to be a lengthy franchise from the looks of it.

Indeed, from what I understand, the years of delays in making Fury Road allowed Miller to pen and write the screenplay for Mad Max: Wasteland, with even some parts filmed during the making of Fury Road. Furthermore, Miller has also stated that he is near complete writing the sixth Mad Max movie, in addition to another encompassing Furiosa's back story. I felt Theron did as good as Hardy in Fury Road, and her story, both pre/post Fury Road would be worth telling, even in a standalone movie.

I don't think it's a "remake", as it's a completely different story. The setting and Mad Max character are shared with the original 3 movies, but it's a different story and a different continuity (ie, it's not a sequel to events in the original 3 movies). I think they call this a "franchise reboot".

Well.... ok. Not that different a story though. A car chase with comic book type characters.

Don't rain on our little parade! We love our propaganda, in heaping doses, and we resent anyone pointing out that it is propaganda,

American airbrush

Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker is in this tradition. A favourite for multiple Oscars, her film is "better than any documentary I've seen on the Iraq war. It's so real it's scary" (Paul Chambers, CNN). Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian reckons it has "unpretentious clarity" and is "about the long and painful endgame in Iraq", and that it "says more about the agony and wrong and tragedy of war than all those earnest well-meaning movies".

What nonsense. This film offers a vicarious thrill through yet another standard-issue psychopath, high on violence in somebody else's country where the deaths of a million people are consigned to cinematic oblivion. The hype around Bigelow is that she may be the first woman to win the Oscar for Best Director. How insulting that a woman is celebrated for a typically violent all-male war movie.

http://www.newstatesman.com/film/2010/02/pilger-iraq-oscar-american-war

And like so many other uncomfortable truths about the USA, about what is really causing terrorism in the world today, everyone wants to wallow in slick propaganda.

Who's next into the mud pit?

The bad guys, the Russians, acknowledge their invasion of Afghanistan was wrong. The bad guys, the Russians, remove honors accorded Stalin, the "good guys", the USA eulogizes its vicious war criminals and names ships and airports after them, gives them pensions and speaking tours, provides space in universities, UNIVERSITIES!, for them to store their huge collection of lies.

But grab another box of popcorn, folks, get comfy, turn off your brains and settle in for some more exquisitely done propaganda.

Yes, it is far better than Canadian propaganda. That's why Canadians watch so much American media !

DUH!

There's no doubt, none at all that the USA has the most successful propaganda system the world has ever seen.

It dupes not only Canadians, it dupes a lot of the world. There are even folks who admit to y'all, outright, repeatedly, that it is all propaganda, but you still don't clue in. Pretty amazing, isn't it?

Y'all see source after source, scholars, numerous USA officials telling of USA war crimes and terrorism and propaganda and still the delusion goes on and on.

Successful propaganda system much?