What was the last movie you watched?

Moonlight Graham

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Bond version)

6/10

I wanted to see this film ever since seeing the original, which I would rate higher. 8/10.

It's very difficult to lose the "Bond" here, and the changes made to the English language version seemed unnecessary and took a little away from the story, in my opinion.

I've already watched the original more than once, and can imagine watching it again in a few years time, but I would not re-watch this version.

Edited by bcsapper

Post the last movie(s) you watched, and give it a rating and a mini-review if you so please.

--------------------

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 8/10 or 3.5/5

Hadn't seen it in a couple decades so I forgot most of it, good Star Trek flick, much better than the 1st one.

You haven't seen a movie since the early 80s ?

Last movie I saw was 'Gravity'. I don't believe in giving movies ratings.

The film had a lot to recommend about it, and only a few detractions - the thin characters, and linear story. The most remarkable thing about it was the 3D ballet of celestial bodies and crashing satellites That was magnificent.

Last movie I saw was 'Gravity'. I don't believe in giving movies ratings.

The film had a lot to recommend about it, and only a few detractions - the thin characters, and linear story. The most remarkable thing about it was the 3D ballet of celestial bodies and crashing satellites That was magnificent.

I knew I should've caught the 3D. I gave it a solid 'lame' and that was putting it kindly.

I just re-watched "American Gangster" . Great film, highly recommend it.

It concerns the astronomical rise of a middle man eliminating drug kingpin and the attempts of an incorruptible cop to bring him to justice.

Supposedly a true story but more likely just based on a true story. Going by the Wiki entries for the main characters, anyway.

Recently watched "Pacific Rim". I have been thinking of writing a "3 short paragraphs" style post about it, just to annoy August.

I somewhat enjoyed it; my rating is: GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING SPACE MONSTERS

-k

I somewhat enjoyed it; my rating is: GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING SPACE MONSTERS

-k

Thanks for the warning. I think the original Godzilla was as much as I need for that genre. I saw the Transformers movie and was appalled that people were entertained by that. It was like teen beat models standing in front of animated robots - to the sound of grinding metal.

Saw it in the theatres, I liked it too, minus the fight where Superman inadvertently destroys half the city and probably kills thousands of people LOL.

New York City has been destroyed in so many movies recently that it's kind of lost any impact. General Zod is wrecking New York? Yawn, the Avengers wrecked it better a couple of months ago...

And yeah, they never seem to make any mention of the catastrophic death toll and economic devastation that calamities like that would have. Hero wins, end of story.

-k

Guest Derek L

Saw it in the theatres, I liked it too, minus the fight where Superman inadvertently destroys half the city and probably kills thousands of people LOL.

I liked how they combined Superman I & II........The one thing missing, Lex Luthor.........I did spot in the big final battle an oil tanker Zod threw around with something to the effect of LexCorp painted along the side though ;)

New York City has been destroyed in so many movies recently that it's kind of lost any impact. General Zod is wrecking New York? Yawn, the Avengers wrecked it better a couple of months ago...

It's not NYC, it's Metropolis. :P It was still kinda eerie they were crashing buildings down like it was 9/11 though.

CGI is GETTING really good ? Polar express is almost 10 years old !

Hahaha. CGI is getting better, but I'm still a sucker for practical effects/models/costumes/masks etc.

I watched Lord of the Rings and the first Spider-Man movie, and wow have some of those CGI effects not aged well ie: Minus Tirith wide shots in LOTR Return of the KIng

Edited by Moonlight Graham

CGI is GETTING really good ? Polar express is almost 10 years old !

Depends on the production and who is involved. Moonlight Graham has a good point that some CGI does not stand up over time. Plus I had watched the movie on 240hz tv. Even from 60 to 120 is an amazing jump and renders everything very smooth, the jump to 240 makes it look quite real or surreal.

• 2 weeks later...

Chronicles of Narnia: Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe - 8/10

Enjoyed the flick, good casting of the kids. But I really don't understand why these stupid kids gullibly accept the swords and other weapons that are given to them and agree to get involved in leading a huge bloody war and fighting for a bunch of talking animals they've only known for like 24 hours. If they were smart they'd just say "eff this I'm going back into the wardrobe and playing in the giant rich mansion where I live in the real world"

Despite that, the CGI stands up very well for this movie being from 2005 and it's a fun fantasy film.

I go to perhaps 50 movies per year at the theaters, it is hard to remember them all. So many are so much better on the big screen, and Gravity is most defintiely one of those with its intricate and well executed special effects in zero gravity.

Overall I reckon Gravity was an average movie, really a vanity film for Sandra Bullock who is in pretty much every frame. One caveat.... We saw it in IMAX 3D, which made for a pretty intense experience. Intense enough that one of our group was overwhelmed and had to leave as he was getting dizzy and nauseous.

Last week I saw Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction.

I know many will think they don't know who he is, but Google his name and you'll recognize him. He's in his mid-80s and been in over 200 movies, almost none of them as lead actor.

He is a terrific actor, an interesting real life character and this documentary is very well done.