What was the last movie you watched?

Moonlight Graham

Ah, yes, there is the ad hominem again.

Can we have a discussion without you leading straight to that technique?

Why don't you take a look at the technique you're using for a second. I'm describing the way things are and you've jumped to a million conclusions about me suggesting the way things should be. I never did that. You're creating strawmen and arguing against things nobody even said. The tyranny thing was particularly laughable because that wasn't even in the same ballpark as anything I've said. But here you are, arguing about it like that's the crux of my argument here. So if you're going to point out ad hominems, which in this case it is not because I'm merely pointing out that you're arguing against things that were never said nor even alluded to, you need to take a second and reflect on what you're saying.

I think I get what you're saying. They could have told this story without Max at all. They could have called it "Furious Furiosa: Fury Road" and told it in a way that Max is an expendable character or not there at all.

However, I think there's a long literary tradition for this sort of character.

-k

That's just it and I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It was in response to Derek waxing nostalgic about the complexity of the Max character. I like how he's used in these films. It's perfect for what the movies are.

Why don't you take a look at the technique you're using for a second. I'm describing the way things are and you've jumped to a million conclusions about me suggesting the way things should be. I never did that. You're creating strawmen and arguing against things nobody even said. The tyranny thing was particularly laughable because that wasn't even in the same ballpark as anything I've said. But here you are, arguing about it like that's the crux of my argument here. So if you're going to point out ad hominems, which in this case it is not because I'm merely pointing out that you're arguing against things that were never said nor even alluded to, you need to take a second and reflect on what you're saying.

You are taking this discussion thing way too personally.

It is not all about you and what you have stated; it includes what others think too.

I have suggested little about you and if you stopped treating any bit of disagreement with you as being some kind of personal thing then maybe we could have a discussion without you having to insult people.

Indeed your rant is particularly funny given that I explained to Kimmy that I agree with you and her on how Hollywood works.

A Walk Among the Tombstones. Horrible, horrible. I've read a lot of Lawrence Block's novels at the cottage as good downtime fodder and enjoyed this book as such. I expected this movie to be an easy, entertaining watch, but it didn't even live up to that. Droning, mindless, boring. Liam Neeson was horrible, the other casting was sub par.

Don't waste your time.

The other night, I watched 'Run Lola Run'. I had watched it a few years ago and caught the re-run of the movie. I highly recommend this movie (with english subtitles). I enjoy running, so I enjoyed the various running scenes with Lola striving to save her boyfriend's life in jeopardy because of a drug deal gone bad.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks I wouldn't bug yall but I am ripping my hair out trying to think of the name of a movie I watched a while back (at least a part of it and got interrupted so I want to go back and see it through) and damned if I can think of the name of it. Set in rural US in the 60s 70s or so, a teenager is riding a school bus, that gets pulled over by a cop and he is taken home where he is being raised by an elder native man. There is a girl he rides with o that school bus that adores him but he just considers her a friend, and then a new girl comes to live with her dad and rides the same bus and he becomes infatuated with her. What ensues is a sort of adolescent love triangle. I dont know it that is enough to tweak anybodys memory but heres hoping.

Thanks

Hey folks I wouldn't bug yall but I am ripping my hair out trying to think of the name of a movie I watched a while back (at least a part of it and got interrupted so I want to go back and see it through) and damned if I can think of the name of it. Set in rural US in the 60s 70s or so, a teenager is riding a school bus, that gets pulled over by a cop and he is taken home where he is being raised by an elder native man. There is a girl he rides with o that school bus that adores him but he just considers her a friend, and then a new girl comes to live with her dad and rides the same bus and he becomes infatuated with her. What ensues is a sort of adolescent love triangle. I dont know it that is enough to tweak anybodys memory but heres hoping.

Thanks

I found this. It's a list of Native American movies with descriptions. I thought iit might help.

Thank you for that. An interesting list for sure. Its my poor description and spotty memory is the big problem. The native aspect however wasnt all that important to the film. It was this 3 way relationship and how it evolved that intrigued me. Once again thanks for the effort and if and when the penny drops I will throw it out there for anyone who might like a look.

Thank you for that. An interesting list for sure. Its my poor description and spotty memory is the big problem. The native aspect however wasnt all that important to the film. It was this 3 way relationship and how it evolved that intrigued me. Once again thanks for the effort and if and when the penny drops I will throw it out there for anyone who might like a look.

You're welcome. Just thought I'd try to help out. Good luck in your search!

Well, after seeing "the character" in 3 out of 4 movies I bit the bullet and have now seen him (it?) in 4 out of 4.

Hasn't changed my opinion of him. No complexity to any of the characters whatsoever.

Explosions, car chases, cliche here, cliche there, oh yet another person falling from a moving vehicle and walking away without even a bruised rib.

BFD.

Max is a very complex character. Having his wife and child murdered in front of his eyes which sends him down this road. Just because a character is mostly silent does not mean there is no depth to it. I'll use Ryan Gosling in Drive and also in Only God Forgives as great examples.

But Fury Road was never meant to be anything more than an action packed movie. That was the goal, and it was accomplished (from what I have heard).

• 1 month later...

I just saw Irrational Man... Woody Allen on the downside of his career. The dialogue was cookie cutter - every 20-something spoke in complete sentences, with no slang or mumbles... and not an iPhone or computer to be seen.

6/10

I've gotten to the point where I don't watch Allen unless somebody reliable tells me it is really good. I don't know how he gets funding from producers any more, not many of his flicks make a profit.

I saw a documentary called Amy recently, about the late Amy Winehouse.

I didn't know much at all about her or her music beforehand.

It is very well done.

I still don't like her music much, but her story is pretty sad. She was pretty much betrayed by anybody she trusted.

Worth seeing.

• 4 weeks later...

I reached waaaaay back (1968) last night and watched "Charly", based on the Daniel Keyes novel "flowers for Algernon" (1958) which I first read as a high school student many years ago. As usual the book was better than the movie, but while it idles along at times, it also has riveting moments. The book haunted me at the time, and I guess still does.

I reached waaaaay back (1968) last night and watched "Charly", based on the Daniel Keyes novel "flowers for Algernon" (1958) which I first read as a high school student many years ago. As usual the book was better than the movie, but while it idles along at times, it also has riveting moments. The book haunted me at the time, and I guess still does.

Cliff Roberson won an Academy Award for his role in Charly, but never had that usual rocket boost to his career after an Oscar. He is a very good actor though who made some pretty bad movies a bit better.

Last movie I saw was Diary of a Teenage Girl. Bel Powley plays a 15 year old in 1970s San Francisco, who experiences a sexual awakening in an environment of permissiveness that is more than a bit creepy. Kristen Wiig is really good too as a mother who won't win any parenting awards.

It's a subject not often visited in movies- a frank exploration of teen sexuality in a young woman. But in the end it was very good IMO, with an honesty rarely seen and a topic that is shunned.

Cliff Roberson won an Academy Award for his role in Charly, but never had that usual rocket boost to his career after an Oscar. He is a very good actor though who made some pretty bad movies a bit better.

Last movie I saw was Diary of a Teenage Girl. Bel Powley plays a 15 year old in 1970s San Francisco, who experiences a sexual awakening in an environment of permissiveness that is more than a bit creepy. Kristen Wiig is really good too as a mother who won't win any parenting awards.

It's a subject not often visited in movies- a frank exploration of teen sexuality in a young woman. But in the end it was very good IMO, with an honesty rarely seen and a topic that is shunned.

I'll give it a look. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

EVEREST - In IMAX 3D - was a gripping adventure and treat for the senses, especially if you are interested in the subject matter.

The outcome of that storm, with many deaths, has been the subject of several documentaries and books, most notably Into Thin Air by Krakaeur.

I'll definitely be going to gain another perspective on what remains a climbing controversy regarding 'death tourism'..

I saw Black Mass this weekend. It was pretty good though I had this niggling feeling that Depp was hamming it up a bit too much. Again.

EVEREST - In IMAX 3D - was a gripping adventure and treat for the senses, especially if you are interested in the subject matter.

I have not seen this yet but plan to soon.

At one point on my list was base camp, I am unsure now because of the recent events.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...