What was the last movie you watched?

Moonlight Graham

No. Is it worth $12 and two hours? I'll watch anything, any genre in a theater if they meet those two metrics.

You already said you'd look for it here:

Mikkelsen is terrific in The Hunt. Groupthink gone mad...

I'll look for Adams Apple.

I would have paid for Adam's Apple if I had known how good it was. I just can't trust reviews though.

I'd forgotten. I'll take your second comment as a recommendation.

I do read some of the Postmedia reviews. Unfortunately the best of their reviewers -Jay Stone- retired recently. Their main reviewer now is contrarian for me, if she loved something I am likely to feel the opposite. It's not a science.

I see so many flicks in theaters that it has built a steady mental rolodex of actors and directors I watch for, others I avoid. If I don't know anything about any of them and the story sounds interesting, I just go and learn. In the last few years I have come to avoid nearly all the franchise movies.

My son saw 'gone girl', and he's a young dude. he liked it. I havent' seen it yet. thumbs up from him so far..

You get to see a nanosecond of Affleck's junk too! Apparently, this was a big deal. There can be violent murders, gruesome deaths, naked women everywhere and nobody cares, but 3 frames with a penis in it is a big deal. Seems crazy for this day and age, doesn't it?

Saw The Judge this weekend.

The acting is terrific, it is hard to go wrong with people like Robert Downey ,Robert Duvall and others.

The plot is a bit trite though and you know how it will work out early.

Worth seeing, though perhaps wait for it on Netflix or cable.

I saw Fury on the weekend. A co-worker and I agree it was a pretty good movie. Some great acting, and they did not sugar coat the war. I posted elsewhere that the movie made me ponder whether today's generation could defeat a Hitler.

It was a good movie up to the final battle scene.... that was terrible. Professional German SS troops were not that stupid. Hundreds could not be taken out by a single wounded tank. Hundreds of them ran in front of the tank waving their arms like they purposely wanted to be shot. It was so unrealistic that it ruined the movie for me. It was just that stupid.

You have no idea how many there were, and how many were killed. I understand estimating hundreds and hundreds, but it's not exactly accurate. I didn't see any waving of hands, hands flew up in the air as they got shot. In the first minute of such a surprise attack of a seemingly deserted tank, I can see any troops being panicked.

There are true stories of a handful of soldiers holding off many in every war. In this story, they were unsuccessful even though they had a tank and the other side did not. Still, tales of heroism are often unbelieved, and often exaggerated.

I'd like to see some movie made about a heroic Axis effort. I'm tired of every movie being about some heroic Allied battle. It gets old. The Allies didn't win every battle but the movies would make you believe that they did just that.

The Allied tanks including American tanks were no match at all for the fast, powerful German tanks either.

The single most bizarre thing about Fury is the age of Brad Pitts character. It would be very very unusual for a 50 year old man to be anywhere near the front, much less in a combat role. Wars are for the young, often very young.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Bad Grandpa last night. It was good enough, if you like the Borat style of guerilla improv, designed to offend.

The little kid in that movie was just astonishing, though. I don't know how he did it... his lines were so quick and cutting that I thought he must have had an earpiece feeding him the lines. I'm still suspicious that it was set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Birdman: very, very good.

I'll second that. Not an all-time classic, but certainly at least one classic scene - the "walk" through Times Square.

Also this:

Star Wars trailer is out. I hate the vapid big-screen comic book genre and what it has become. The 4th film in the series was what turned me against the genre. Maybe the 7th will bring it back for me.

There's always a "new hope", right ?

Saw Mockingjay Part 1 with my daughter a couple of days ago. I basically went under duress, but I was pleasantly surprised. The previous Hunger Games movies were disposable teen fiction, but this one really felt like they took a lot of time and effort into not only turning the book into a good script, but in directing and filming an actual GOOD movie.

Saw Mockingjay Part 1 with my daughter a couple of days ago. I basically went under duress, but I was pleasantly surprised. The previous Hunger Games movies were disposable teen fiction, but this one really felt like they took a lot of time and effort into not only turning the book into a good script, but in directing and filming an actual GOOD movie.

I liked the first one more than the second, and will see the new one soon.

Jennifer Lawrence is an outstanding actress, one of the very best of her (new) generation.

If you have not seen it, check out what she does in a movie called Winters Bone. She was nominated at age 19 as Best Actress for that role, and should have won. She is only 24 years old and already in the enviable position of being able to choose roles. I hope she chooses wisely.

Latest movie seen was St Vincent, with Bill Murray and Melissa McCarthy. Bill Murray is one of those guys who is just always good. He is so relaxed onscreen. he plays the role of hardcore curmudgeon with a heart of gold. But.... I had the feeling I'd seen this film before... It is quite funny and a bit touching but I'd wait for it on Movie Channel cable.... it should be there pretty soon.

If you have not seen it, check out what she does in a movie called Winters Bone. She was nominated at age 19 as Best Actress for that role, and should have won.

I 2nd this comment... a great movie. Don't expect an action thriller. This was well acted and well written. Not for bland commercial consumption.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10012136-winters_bone/

I 2nd this comment... a great movie. Don't expect an action thriller. This was well acted and well written. Not for bland commercial consumption.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10012136-winters_bone/

3rd it. Very well done film and the actress (who I thought was wooden in The Hunger Games) was really good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have seen a few films over the holiday break, and will see a few more. I re-watched The Bicycle Thief and 2001: A Space Odyssey though. The idea was to juxtapose two extreme opposites of film-making. The former, an entirely human based experience with apparently minimal attention to style and photography and the latter, an art experience entirely sculpted in aural/visual beauty with minimal focus on character and humanity.

Of course, that summary isn't absolute: The Bicycle Thief makes judicious use of framing, and a moving camera to bring us into the experience of the characters - and 2001 portrays the human experiences of isolation, and life-and-death conflict through the eyes of Dave, the astronaut threatened by HAL.
But I'm intrigued with how much these films still affect us even though the artists behind them use such different approaches. Art affects, I suppose.

I also saw Hot Tub Time machine, and that was .... okay.